F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Damaged my Pure Stage 2 turbo?
proTUNING Freaks

06-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #23
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
The noise that focus makes is the intake pipe collapsing due to the vacuum the turbo is pulling, it almost sounds the same so id be checking that.

I feel a trip to a dyno for a few runs would be ideal, could then get your head under the hood and pin point it
Good idea, the dyno really would be ideal and I could use that as a last scenario for checking. I'm 90 percent sure tho it is coming from the turbo as it is on the front right side of the hood directly where the turbo is located.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #24
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

The only way that would be an issue is if you have a silicone portion of the air/turbo intake. I think the William's elbow is the only one this could happen to.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #25
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. Bringing my car to a reputable shop tmmrw and going to do a boost leak test. Hoping that will pinpoint the cause as even my exhaust sounds a bit louder too. Will update everyone with what I find.
Looking forward to the results.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #26
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Bringing my car to a reputable shop tmmrw and going to do a boost leak test. Hoping that will pinpoint the cause as even my exhaust sounds a bit louder too. Will update everyone with what I find.
Best of luck. I see you're in the Seattle area. Where exactly are you taking the car?
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

exhaust sounding lower could be a failing wastegate controller. Would happen on N54/5 when the boost solenoid would go out.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #28
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Quote:
Best of luck. I see you're in the Seattle area. Where exactly are you taking the car?
Appreciate it! Also, good catch. Surprised you could tell with the potato YouTube quality haha. But I plan on bringing it to Drive Auto Sports tmmrw. Heard great things about them, and they definitely knew their stuff when talked to over the phone.
Appreciate 1
eksigned139.00
      07-01-2020, 03:15 AM   #29
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
exhaust sounding lower could be a failing wastegate controller. Would happen on N54/5 when the boost solenoid would go out.
Just read up on it a bit, maybe you're right and my rattling sound is my wastegate. Especially since it's mainly at lower RPM. Gotta wait and see what we find tmmrw.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #30
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: So from the boost leak testing the shop performed, they found a pretty sizable leak from the coupler post MAP sensor. They also put my car on the dyno as well and found that there was build up of soot around exhaust manifold runners/ gasket. Which means one of the gaskets from the turbo either came faulty, or was not torqued on properly from my installer.

Upon driving the car once the coupler was tightened, Throttle response and speed feels much better (yet to test if leak has fully been fixed) and the sound is little bit improved squeak wise, but is still there. They believe it is the faulty gasket causing all rattling , squeaking and the soot buildup issue as they said "There is visual evidence of PN the exhaust manifold leaking on the cylinder head" Do you guys know if Pure uses the same OEM gaskets? Or their own? If it is the OEM gaskets I believe I could narrow it to the installer but not sure either way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #31
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
UPDATE: So from the boost leak testing the shop performed, they found a pretty sizable leak from the coupler post MAP sensor. They also put my car on the dyno as well and found that there was build up of soot around exhaust manifold runners/ gasket. Which means one of the gaskets from the turbo either came faulty, or was not torqued on properly from my installer.

Upon driving the car once the coupler was tightened, Throttle response and speed feels much better (yet to test if leak has fully been fixed) and the sound is little bit improved squeak wise, but is still there. They believe it is the faulty gasket causing all rattling , squeaking and the soot buildup issue as they said "There is visual evidence of PN the exhaust manifold leaking on the cylinder head" Do you guys know if Pure uses the same OEM gaskets? Or their own? If it is the OEM gaskets I believe I could narrow it to the installer but not sure either way.
Quite the boost leak there, good that's fixed.
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #32
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
[]

Quite the boost leak there, good that's fixed.
What I was thinking as well. I'm just surprised I was still hitting target boost previously, unless the gasket issue came hand in hand with the coupler becoming loose under pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #33
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

That's before the turbo... it's not a boost leak. Almost looks like the coupler is way too big to properly clamp down. Probably caused the whistling sound as air was sucked past it.
Appreciate 3
      07-02-2020, 04:22 AM   #34
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
That's before the turbo... it's not a boost leak. Almost looks like the coupler is way too big to properly clamp down. Probably caused the whistling sound as air was sucked past it.
Yeah I eventually got to change it lol, it was the smallest size that would fit though.. But yes after they tightened it properly the whistle sound is gone now

On a side note, I need to change out this gasket ASAP. I'm pretty sure the burning smell I encounter occasionally on WOT pulls is solely due to the leaking gasket causing components to burn up, on top of the louder exhaust note and decreased performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #35
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Yup thought it sounded like the focus with the intake sound glad you got it sorted
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #36
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: So I was just driving to the car wash when I heard a sound that resembled something disconnecting from my turbo area and right after I got a drivetrain malfunction message. Luckily, I was not far from home and turned around and granny drove back.

I noticed my turbo has 0 sound now after this event and is like it's not giving any power. My exhaust is definitely louder than before and has loud drone now. The power loss is pretty significant. Wondering if my exhaust manifold gasket finally went out..
Any thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #37
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Update: So I was just driving to the car wash when I heard a sound that resembled something disconnecting from my turbo area and right after I got a drivetrain malfunction message. Luckily, I was not far from home and turned around and granny drove back.

I noticed my turbo has 0 sound now after this event and is like it's not giving any power. My exhaust is definitely louder than before and has loud drone now. The power loss is pretty significant. Wondering if my exhaust manifold gasket finally went out..
Any thoughts anyone?
Other side would be that maybe you oversped the turbo when you had the boost leak... but fingers crossed its just the manfold gasket although i would of that would of been pretty audiable from the engine bay and you should defo see more black suit around the area.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #38
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Quote:

Any thoughts anyone?
Other side would be that maybe you oversped the turbo when you had the boost leak... but fingers crossed its just the manfold gasket although i would of that would of been pretty audiable from the engine bay and you should defo see more black suit around the area.
Yes hoping that's not the case.. but yeah I can hear a pretty bad clicking sound from the engine bay upon start up recently which goes away after warmup. As for the soot I took some pics and it looks like there is some heavy bubbling near one gasket while the others don't have any bubbling what so ever. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #39
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:

Any thoughts anyone?
louder exhaust means the wastegate is open.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #40
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Another update: Just got my car back from the shop today with a freshly installed OEM gasket. Apparently my bolts were coming loose on the exhaust manifold. Good news is the Pure turbo was inspected/checked for shaft play and seemed perfectly fine along with everything else visually along with the power being restored. Bad news is the weird loose whistle sound is STILL THERE, mainly on partial throttle, gear shifts and burbles/pops. Thinking the oversized coupler was producing the sound I went ahead and replaced it with a proper sized coupler and still sound is there.

Took my friend along for a ride and he's thinking it's an exhaust leak and maybe my downpipe or something in my exhaust might be loose like a bolt missing, due to being able to hear the loose whistle sound from the exhaust pipe in the back during burbling/popping. Going to get my car lifted up tmmrw and hopefully I can find something while I double check my downpipe and check for vacuum leaks that maybe my mechanic missed. Frustrating to say the least

Any thoughts are more than welcome :
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      07-31-2020, 12:53 AM   #41
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So hopefully this is my last update before my car is fixed for good. My friend found a post where the OP had the same exact sound in his B58. BMW ended up replacing his whole turbo saying it was a wastegate issue, like some of you mentioned from the start and fixed the sound. Crazy thing is others had the same problem and it was on the stock turbo. Here is a link if interested.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658133

Upon talking to Pure they haven't heard this issue at all for B58 but agreed to look at it if I send it back and will replace the turbine housing if found faulty. Really hoping the manifold is the issue because if not I'm down a car again for another 3 weeks plus shop fees +shipping fees and the same damn problem, which you guys will then hear on the news about a man drowning himself in the ocean with his car. Lol jk.
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      08-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #42
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Thoughts and Prayers!
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #43
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright so I got good news and bad news. Good news: Fixing my wastegate solved the rattle problem and the turbo spool sounds even better now.

Bad news: My turbo is done.... tried doing two WOT pulls and I heard a loud SCREECH which sounded like nails on a chalkboard which was very very loud and I'm sure the propellers are grinding against the metal causing that sound.

Pretty frustrating because I told Pure about this that the play was bad and looked like it was scraping the sides and they said it was fine and even said they would realign it, but according to my shop guy they didn't even swap out the manifold or realign.

Should have just went with Big boost with all this money, time and hassle I'm spending on installs/removal.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #44
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Frustrating.
Appreciate 1