F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbo Flutter - Suddenly appeared?
Studio RSR

08-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
328iking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Turbo Flutter - Suddenly appeared?

Is this Turbo flutter (vid)?

Already installed was injen Intake and had the usual noises. Installed charge pipes, turbo inlet pipe, fmic and GFB dv+ during COVID. Test drive and over a month of various short trips up to 15miles no noises other than the injen.

Then when driving car for about 100miles today, I was either getting the normal injen noise or turbo flutter? It's random and sometimes non existent. The vid is from standstill when I got home. It's really loud.

Where has it come from all of a sudden? Wasn't there previously.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iking View Post
Is this Turbo flutter (vid)?

Already installed was injen Intake and had the usual noises. Installed charge pipes, turbo inlet pipe, fmic and GFB dv+ during COVID. Test drive and over a month of various short trips up to 15miles no noises other than the injen.

Then when driving car for about 100miles today, I was either getting the normal injen noise or turbo flutter? It's random and sometimes non existent. The vid is from standstill when I got home. It's really loud.

Where has it come from all of a sudden? Wasn't there previously.

That sounds kinda of funny as in a person making those sounds

Also i hear the sounds are more pronounced when u have a intake installed. Check out ThicF30's vids im his channel library on YouTube and he had it on his 328 N20
      08-03-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
328iking
Private First Class
Rep

I know.

I watched thics video and seems the same BUT I didn't have it before and I started car again this morning and there is no flutter.

Does certain conditions increase the chance of turbo flutter?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f36

It's your GFB valve, that's how it sounds because it doesn't let out all the boost from the turbo it keeps some so the intercooler can keep pressure and thus decreasing turbo lag. You'll only hear it in low rpms
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
NZf30
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 328i sportline

Ive had the gfb diverter valve in my 328i for about 6 months now with oem intake and have never heard flutter.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
328iking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosskrr View Post
It's your GFB valve, that's how it sounds because it doesn't let out all the boost from the turbo it keeps some so the intercooler can keep pressure and thus decreasing turbo lag. You'll only hear it in low rpms
Question is. Why is doing it now after like 500miles after install. The noise either changes between the injen noise or this noise.

Yet this morning, after car sat all night, the noise has gone and now have the injen sound again with no flutter?

I would understand if it made these noises from the start.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f36

Quote:
Quote:
Question is. Why is doing it now after like 500miles after install. The noise either changes between the injen noise or this noise.

Yet this morning, after car sat all night, the noise has gone and now have the injen sound again with no flutter?

You probably only just noticed the noise, but I know for a fact that noise is the GFB valve, you can get it to make that noise consistently with the car parked revving to about 2-3k Rpms
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
328iking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You probably only just noticed the noise, but I know for a fact that noise is the GFB valve, you can get it to make that noise consistently with the car parked revving to about 2-3k Rpms
When driving it, it was extremely noticeable with windows up or down. It was definitely not there before. Today not there at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
Linc0909
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i,

Keep in mind, it's all computer controlled so many variables involved. May have needed time for the valve to break in (so to speak) and the computer to compensate for pressures etc. I've heard of peeps with that valve commenting that the 'flutter' is inconsistent and appears to be random.
      08-06-2020, 03:18 AM   #10
328iking
Private First Class
Rep

I contacted GFB about it and they said "The flutter on lift-off is not normal".

So am even more confused. As everyone says it's normal?
Appreciate 0