F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Friends and family think you're crazy
Studio RSR

06-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Friends and family think you're crazy

Ok so am I the only one who's friends and family think I'm crazy because I obsess about keeping my car clean? I honestly don't care. I mean if I drove a Prius or a Saturn Ion I probably wouldn't care either. But it's a BMW, I feel like it deserves to be taken care of.
Pauloxxi339.00
      06-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Im with ya pal.

Dont get me wrong, Im not one to pretend my car is a garage queen or anything like that. I definitely use them to full potential in all conditions...

But when Im done doing that, I take a couple hours and bring it back to "good as possible."

Some people are just too lazy and would rather have throw money at it a couple times a year.

I prefer to drive a sparkling clean car 95% of the time and dont mind putting in the effort to make that happen. Proper technique and chemicals goes a long way.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Im with ya pal.

Dont get me wrong, Im not one to pretend my car is a garage queen or anything like that. I definitely use them to full potential in all conditions...

But when Im done doing that, I take a couple hours and bring it back to "good as possible."

Some people are just too lazy and would rather have throw money at it a couple times a year.

I prefer to drive a sparkling clean car 95% of the time and dont mind putting in the effort to make that happen. Proper technique and chemicals goes a long way.
Agree 100%. I love to get out and drive the shit out of it on the thruway, because it was built to be driven that way. But when I'm done with all that I'll spend the time cleaning the dead bugs off the front, ceramic coating on it and hit the tires and wheels.

I'll clean the interior and polish the leather seats. If someone is gonna have leather seats and not take care of them you might as well have opted for the cloth interior lol. My son says "mommy lets me eat tacos in her car" I say well mommy wanted a Chevy Equinox, not that there's anything wrong with it...she wanted it and she got it. But this is a BMW buddy.
      06-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Yes, my friends and family think I'm more than a little nuts. However, they also compliment me on how good my car looks.

I've always taken the best care of any car I've owned regardless of value or age. I always want them to look their best and taking care of them greatly extends their life shows I actually care for them. All of our other cars are between 6 and 10 years old and they still have nearly flawless paint and well maintained interiors which make them look far newer than their actual age and mileage.
      06-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Lol yea your not the only one, my wife gets a little irritated when I remind her everytime to please not spill anything in the car (I only allow water with a straw allowed).

Or when she gets out of the car and touches the window glass to shut the car door it irks me to see the oil from her finger tips leave a print.

The other day my mom got in the car and when she got out she kind of slammed the door and it killed me a little inside (i know she didnt mean to infact I would accidentally do the same thing to my buddys 350 z in high school.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Yes, my friends and family think I'm more than a little nuts. However, they also compliment me on how good my car looks.

I've always taken the best care of any car I've owned regardless of value or age. I always want them to look their best and taking care of them greatly extends their life shows I actually care for them. All of our other cars are between 6 and 10 years old and they still have nearly flawless paint and well maintained interiors which make them look far newer than their actual age and mileage.
Yeah agreed. Honestly no matter what car I've had I've always taken care of it. But more recently, with the cars I've owned, when it came time to trade them in towards the next car I've always gotten at least Kelly Blue Book value and usually higher.

Yes when family sees my car they compliment me...then want me to do theirs. I told them I'll do them for a price.
      06-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Lol yea your not the only one, my wife gets a little irritated when I remind her everytime to please not spill anything in the car (I only allow water with a straw allowed).

Or when she gets out of the car and touches the window glass to shut the car door it irks me to see the oil from her finger tips leave a print.

The other day my mom got in the car and when she got out she kind of slammed the door and it killed me a little inside (i know she didnt mean to infact I would accidentally do the same thing to my buddys 350 z in high school.
I agree with all of this. Just water in my car, no eating. My sons footprints on the backs of the seats kills me, then I have to clean it. If someone closes the door and leaves fingerprints on the paint I have to clean it.

One day I noticed a tiny little scratch on my bumper and I'm sweating at it. My son, that's 11 years old, looks at it and says oh that's just a little scratch, big deal. I said and because of comments and thinking like that...when you're old enough to drive you're driving your mothers car.
      06-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

My car is jet black. I. Can't. Stop. Cleaning. Every. Smudge...
sspade2464.50
Pauloxxi339.00
      06-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Oh my god. I feel your pain. I had a black Jetta before. Even after I cleaned it the "swirlies" that the black paint shows drove me crazy. This is one of the number one reasons when I got the BMW I have now I did not want a black one. The dealer asked me why and I said...because black looks great when it's clean, but when it's dirty it shows everything. Because it shows everything...you're always cleaning it lol.
      06-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Same here. It's a labor of love, that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #11
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I have mine and wife's to clean and keep. Both jet blacks, so yes it takes a lot of time, but it is nice to see them clean and spotless. It also keeps the car value and a sense of proud.
It is a good feeling when I entered in my former E90, 11 years old and it was clean and undamaged interior. Better than many newer cars from other people.
I don't forget where I came from, and I try to keep not only my car but all my belongings in perfect condition and extend its useful life.
Hopefully, this is not craziness.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Have kids... it'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #13
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Have kids... it'll pass.
Well I have one 11 year old son and he's kind of a slob...so.
      06-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

I can agree they probably feel like I have a screw loose with the way I pour hours of work into my ride or the amount of products I buy to keep it up to my standards. It bothers me when other cars I see on the road are just beat. Bird pooed, scratched to hellnot to mention wheels that have never been cleaned. But I guess everybody's hobby is different in the end.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECTO1 View Post
I can agree they probably feel like I have a screw loose with the way I pour hours of work into my ride or the amount of products I buy to keep it up to my standards. It bothers me when other cars I see on the road are just beat. Bird pooed, scratched to hellnot to mention wheels that have never been cleaned. But I guess everybody's hobby is different in the end.
So I'm not the only one that looks at other cars that aren't mine and gets mad because people don't take care of it? See cars covered with bird poop or filthy with mud, wheels covered in brake dust and I think damn clean your car man.

I do have a whole section in my garage that's just products to clean and take care of my car.
      06-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #16
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
So I'm not the only one that looks at other cars that aren't mine and gets mad because people don't take care of it? See cars covered with bird poop or filthy with mud, wheels covered in brake dust and I think damn clean your car man.

I do have a whole section in my garage that's just products to clean and take care of my car.
Same here I'm always trying new products out that I think might give me an edge.

There is a girl I work with and her car is always covered in bird poo leaves it on for days not a care in the world, and all I want to do is take my bottle of spit and clean it up. But then I would realize how etched her paint is underneath so all I do shake my head and cry a little inside. I think I asked her once why don't you clean it off and her response was when it rains thats when I get my car washes .
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #17
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Same here I'm always trying new products out that I think might give me an edge.

There is a girl I work with and her car is always covered in bird poo leaves it on for days not a care in the world, and all I want to do is take my bottle of spit and clean it up. But then I would realize how etched her paint is underneath so all I do shake my head and cry a little inside. I think I asked her once why don't you clean it off and her response was when it rains thats when I get my car washes .
Oh my god people like that make me angry. "My car gets cleaned when it rains", that's annoying. That bird poop, tree sap, road tar, dead bugs left on your car damages their clear coat/paint.

We drove out to my mother in laws house today, she's lives about an hour or so away. We took my car because since this pandemic I hardly get to drive my BMW anymore. I told my wife we can take my car but I'm taking my bottle of bug/tar remover, ceramic spray and some micro-fiber towels with me. I said don't give me dirty looks when we get there I get out and clean all the dead bugs off the front of it and then again when we get home lol.
      06-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #18
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:

Those are the same people who will blame the automaker for "bad paint" when they have clear coat failure and it starts fading/oxidizing and peeling after only a few years.
      06-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #19
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Ok so am I the only one who's friends and family think I'm crazy because I obsess about keeping my car clean? I honestly don't care. I mean if I drove a Prius or a Saturn Ion I probably wouldn't care either. But it's a BMW, I feel like it deserves to be taken care of.
Lol! Yep! I’ve always been a car detailing nut from cleaning my first beater car (1978 Cutlass). My dad would sometimes say, “you can’t polish a turd!” Lol! Car detailing is therapeutic for me. I now have three cars I’ve pretty much been washing weekly: my 2016 435i, wife’s 2014 Traverse LTZ that looks brand new and has about 113K miles on it, and my 2010 Honda Pilot which I drive when the weather is bad/rainy. Yes, my cleaning OCD gets me crazy when I drive my 435i in the rain...lol! Hence why it only has about 32K miles on it. I keep it in the garage when I’m not driving it. I just need to get over the stress and drive it in the rain..that’s why I bought it...to be driven...lol! That’s the “clean freak” in me I guess.

My neighbors probably get a kick out of me washing 3 cars every week only to see it rain the next day! Such is my luck. Lol!
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #20
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:

The closing of the door...priceless! My wife does the same thing and yes, I wipe off the smudges immediately. Glad to see I’m not only crazy one out there. Lol!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
Quote:

The closing of the door...priceless! My wife does the same thing and yes, I wipe off the smudges immediately. Glad to see I’m not only crazy one out there. Lol!
You are not alone lol. I hate when I have to drive my car in bad weather. My OCD goes crazy.
      06-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #22
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
My neighbors probably get a kick out of me washing 3 cars every week only to see it rain the next day! Such is my luck. Lol!
Just wait until they see you washing it WHILE it's raining!

I've done it a couple times before a full detail session. I dry it off in the garage, but I was sure an ambulance was going to show up and someone would try to haul me away.