F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Axleback Exhaust Options
GetBMWParts

10-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
petercoh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i GT

Axleback Exhaust Options

Hello everyone!
Ive been reviewing my options for an axleback exhaust because I want more loud and ive more or less settled on a rev9 muffler delete. My only concern is that it's branded for an f30. Does anyone have experience installing this kind of exhaust (will I need to retrofit, extend a pipe, etc.) or are there other more well suited options. I am a teenager on a budget so please keep that in mind. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercoh View Post
Hello everyone!
Ive been reviewing my options for an axleback exhaust because I want more loud and ive more or less settled on a rev9 muffler delete. My only concern is that it's branded for an f30. Does anyone have experience installing this kind of exhaust (will I need to retrofit, extend a pipe, etc.) or are there other more well suited options. I am a teenager on a budget so please keep that in mind. Thanks
In my humble opinion, it is possible that the reason for so many lookers and no responses so far is due to puzzlement. Longer, heavier, and taller than a 3 Series sedan or 4 Series coupe, this is a Grand Touring car, designed for comfort and luxury with performance. The emphasis is not first on performance, and certainly not "loud". You are asking if you can combine running shoes with a tuxedo. If you want a performance car with exhaust noise, trade for an M2 or M3. What you are asking about, if implemented, will just come off as quite odd, as if something is broken, not a good fit.

Of course, the parental instincts of some of us would focus on the "teenager on a budget" part and suggest saving the money for college first as you always will need more than you planned.

Good luck...many safe years and miles ahead!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8209.50
      10-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
In my humble opinion, it is possible that the reason for so many lookers and no responses so far is due to puzzlement. Longer, heavier, and taller than a 3 Series sedan or 4 Series coupe, this is a Grand Touring car, designed for comfort and luxury with performance. The emphasis is not first on performance, and certainly not "loud". You are asking if you can combine running shoes with a tuxedo. If you want a performance car with exhaust noise, trade for an M2 or M3. What you are asking about, if implemented, will just come off as quite odd, as if something is broken, not a good fit.

Of course, the parental instincts of some of us would focus on the "teenager on a budget" part and suggest saving the money for college first as you always will need more than you planned.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What he meant is this is a car for old farts, and we old farts prefer quiet...the better to blow the doors off unsuspecting kiddies in their ricers.

Also prevents fathers from hearing you bringing their daughters home long after you should be.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
What he meant is this is a car for old farts, and we old farts prefer quiet...the better to blow the doors off unsuspecting kiddies in their ricers.

Also prevents fathers from hearing you bringing their daughters home long after you should be.
Your answer is very funny, but I don't understand the prior expression of confusion to my first simple post, whether in agreement or not.

Anyway, there are young and old "old farts" and young and old performance enthusiasts. My comment is more about the design intent of the car as BMW created it. The goals were smooth ride, spacious accomodations, responsive power, designed as appealingly as possible for that package .

Taking this kind of car and adding a loud exhaust is as inconsistent as would be putting a vinyl roof on an M2C. It would reflect a lack of understanding of what kind of car one has, regardless if one likes loud exhausts or not. It's just a mismatch. It is possible that the OP grew up knowing cars where the GT nomenclature was mis-used, such as a Mustang GT, and thought GT=high performance "muscle". It does not. It is about comfort/luxury over distance with a very responsive but refined powertrain.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-11-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:05 AM   #6
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

I have never heard of Rev9, but can tell you that with any kind of muffler delete, you are going to have a lot of drone... specially in the low RPM range. This can be very hard to live with over time. Most mufflers, even the aftermarket ones have some sort of built-in chamber that cut down particular frequencies responsible for droning.

I personally bought a used 335i M Performance Exhaust (MPE) from this forum ($600), along with deleting both resonators from the midpipe ($100). All in all for ~$800 including labor... you get a refined BUT pronounced sound. Try looking for an exhaust that re-uses the factory flap connector found on the driver side tailpipe. Not having a flap or having it open all the time also introduces noticeable amount of drone.

If you are handy with tools and have access to a welding shop, this stock exhaust modification could be one of the cheapest options to consider as well:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=819125
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:49 PM   #7
Call me the breeze
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i Msport

Dinan has a "refined" axle-back for the F30. It's billed as quiet during relaxed driving (little drone) and deep growl when on the gas. Not sure if there is an option for the F34 but if so could be the sweet spot for the multi-tasker F34.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
F34ED
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335i GT

I have the Awe tuning touring axelback(and mid pipe) and they threw in adapters to make it work but i had to ask for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:35 PM   #9
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34ED View Post
I have the Awe tuning touring axelback(and mid pipe) and they threw in adapters to make it work but i had to ask for them.

Any videos or sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:11 AM   #10
F34ED
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Turismo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F34ED View Post

Any videos or sound clips?
yes here's this video. but i also have a catless downpipe and am tuned

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercoh View Post
Hello everyone!

This is a very elitist post.

OP, you ask whether an aftermarket product, "branded for an F30", will not fit your car, in an F3x forum, but you don't state what F3x you have.

A muffler delete will most definitely introduce drone, but there is no BMW here that is too good for a muffler delete. Whether it sounds good or not is 100% subjective. You can also go to any muffler shop and have them make you one on the spot. You can even bring your own muffler tips. All of these aforementioned routes have been vehemently documented.

Note all Muffler deletes will sound the same on these cars with the same engine. It's just a plain old section to straight pipe. YouTube it if that works for you. Though, audio from such sources doesn't do any exhaust note justice, IMO.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
This is a very elitist post.
Proudly so and thank you. We have more low-information folks out there than healthy for all of us these days. It takes time and effort to learn and gain experience, and no reason to be demure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
A muffler delete will most definitely introduce drone, but there is no BMW here that is too good for a muffler delete. Whether it sounds good or not is 100% subjective. .
But, my point was widely missed. This isn't about the GT being "too good" or not. Certainly, the F34 is not among the highest image nor most highly regarded BMWs (other than by us owners). This is about understanding the situation. Let's expand the analogy. If you saw a new, young colleague (OP self-describes as a "teenager") headed to a company black-tie function wearing the very best, most expensive, premium, LeBron, Kobe, or Michael design of basketball shoes with his tux, would you not pull him aside for some "coaching"? Seems selfish not to, given your knowledge and experience. I've benefitted from those who came before me and knew more at the time. We should all be passing it on, and in our own ways, that is happening in this thread...once it got rolling...whether we agree or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

I find it silly people are against enthusiasm on the GT. I bought a GT and love it, I absolutely love the hatchback, me and my girl have laid down back there with a pillow too. It's wonderful and practical.

However, that does not mean I'm not also an enthusiast with my car. I have it tuned, I have the mppsk planned, going to swap the intake, have MHD + xhp, etc. It's silly to think you can't have both practicality (the hatchback / increased room) and also be interested in performance.
Appreciate 1
Torquey92.00
      10-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #14
Call me the breeze
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i Msport

I beg to differ with the premise that the F34 shouldn't be modded. I see plenty of BMW SUVs that are modded. They will never get tracked but so what. Owners love BMWs so who am I or anyone to judge what should get modded or not?

My second point is that recent BMWs have gotten soft (OK not 4-wheel couches like Cadillacs or Lexuses) to appeal to a broader swath of buyers. In the process, BMW risks undermining its brand status as a performance marque. As good of a car as it is, there's still plenty of room for improvement. In fact, I would argue that the more modding the better because the aftermarket suppliers will continue to create more and better choices. If you are an enthusiast and have the means, please by add means keep modding and don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise.

Back on topic, I would love to hear from others what exhaust mods you've done so we can learn from each other.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
I find it silly people are against enthusiasm on the GT. I bought a GT and love it, I absolutely love the hatchback, me and my girl have laid down back there with a pillow too. It's wonderful and practical.

However, that does not mean I'm not also an enthusiast with my car. I have it tuned, I have the mppsk planned, going to swap the intake, have MHD + xhp, etc. It's silly to think you can't have both practicality (the hatchback / increased room) and also be interested in performance.
The entire BMW brand is about enthusiasm versus the industry, so no one is "against enthusiasm". BMW cars already have "performance" as a basic brand characteristic. What this particular model is inconsistent with is the raucous exhaust a "more loud" teenager is looking for. Has nothing to do with making the car faster. Is this difference not obvious? This is a matter of degree and understanding what the purpose of the vehicle is. Check the entire line of M models...see anything missing? No GT? BMW understands and designed the GT quite well for a purpose. Of course, you can force a square peg in a round hole....drive a nail with the butt end of a screwdriver, but does this make any sense? Maybe it does for you as a presumed adult or it's just not a concern. That's fine, of course, for you. For the teenage OP, there are some thoughts for him to consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me the breeze View Post
I beg to differ with the premise that the F34 shouldn't be modded. I see plenty of BMW SUVs that are modded. They will never get tracked but so what. Owners love BMWs so who am I or anyone to judge what should get modded or not?

My second point is that recent BMWs have gotten soft (OK not 4-wheel couches like Cadillacs or Lexuses) to appeal to a broader swath of buyers. In the process, BMW risks undermining its brand status as a performance marque. As good of a car as it is, there's still plenty of room for improvement. In fact, I would argue that the more modding the better because the aftermarket suppliers will continue to create more and better choices. If you are an enthusiast and have the means, please by add means keep modding and don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise.

Back on topic, I would love to hear from others what exhaust mods you've done so we can learn from each other.
Please see reference to noise versus speed in my post above. No discussion of other mods...this was about being "loud" in a Grand Touring vehicle. This is losing perspective based on generalizations.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 01:09 PM   #17
Mkesler75
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f34

Remus exhaustAfter researching for a few months on an exhaust for my 2015 f34 335i I pulled the trigger on the Remus exhaust from mike@x-ph.com . I chose the particular exhaust for the more throaty sound and the option to get only the muffler which was right at $500. Shipping was like 4 days and had no issues at all. I didn’t want the tailpipes or tips as Remus calls them, as I knew I’d have to extend to fit the extra 4-5” in length of the GT. So I had a reputable muffler shop fit my existing tail pieces which was right at $200. Not bad for a good exhaust and sound. No mods to car other than dealer installed MPPK. This is valve open on sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkesler75 View Post
Remus exhaustAfter researching for a few months on an exhaust for my 2015 f34 335i I pulled the trigger on the Remus exhaust from mike@x-ph.com . I chose the particular exhaust for the more throaty sound and the option to get only the muffler which was right at $500. Shipping was like 4 days and had no issues at all. I didn’t want the tailpipes or tips as Remus calls them, as I knew I’d have to extend to fit the extra 4-5” in length of the GT. So I had a reputable muffler shop fit my existing tail pieces which was right at $200. Not bad for a good exhaust and sound. No mods to car other than dealer installed MPPK. This is valve open on sport mode.
Thank you for choosing us for your Remus exhaust purchase and congratulations on your new setup!

It's great to hear that you found the perfect exhaust for your 2015 F34 335i and that the shipping and installation process went smoothly. Enjoy your new exhaust!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0