F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > In a bit of a pickle - broken exhaust cooler. Indie around Bridgewater?
Studio RSR

08-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Exhaust cooler has broken whilst towing the caravan to Bridgewater.

Can anyone recommend any indies around the area?

Anybody know a rough repair cost?

Need it repairing as we have days out booked. I'm frightened to use it now. I'm assuming it can damage other things if I carry on using it due to the loss of pressure?

Item no 1 i think

Any help appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3-GT; 08-01-2021 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

AFAIK the corrugated section of pipe is integral to the EGR cooler - you may need to replace the entire EGR cooler unit.

In the meantime, as an emergency fix, I'd get some exhaust repair 'putty' or similar from Halfords or a motor spares shop. There's bound to be one nearby.

A hairline crack would just make the cats bit smelly but if the pipe has sheared it's potentially a lot riskier (exhaust gas being very hot could damage other components).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
3-GT333.00
      08-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Ye it does look like a complete unit unfortunately. An expensive one at that.

I'm thinking of maybe going down the EGR delete route now - blanked off and coded out.

I've been trying to think of some sort of temporary fix. I'm thinking now of getting a steel scourer/wire wool, twisting strands together, cover in exhaust putty, wrap it around the split area and clamping with a jubilee clip. Hopefully that will stop a lot of the leakage.

Luckily I only had a few miles left when I noticed something was off.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Assuming you were towing within the maximum towing weight guidelines/tolerances.

How long ago did you have the recalled EGR replacement because you could have had a faulty part fitted if has failed like that. Worth checking because it was done within the last two years all parts have a two year warranty from fit date if done by BMW so you would probably only have to cover the labour costs. Or If you have an extended original or AUC warranty you will just have to cover the excess amount if you have one, regardless of part fit date.
      08-02-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Assuming you were towing within the maximum towing weight guidelines/tolerances.

How long ago did you have the recalled EGR replacement because you could have had a faulty part fitted if has failed like that. Worth checking because it was done within the last two years all parts have a two year warranty from fit date if done by BMW so you would probably only have to cover the labour costs. Or If you have an extended original or AUC warranty you will just have to cover the excess amount if you have one, regardless of part fit date.
Im not sure recall work gets the 2 year parts warranty, i could be wrong but i 100% remember being told that with something and i thought it was absoult horse$H17

As others have said, its trash sadly, id be very careful running it, you really risk of fire...

I would personally take it up with BMW, like goat has said has it had a recall? Although its the EGV valves that normally get replaced the cooler might of been damaged or disturbed when the work was carried out.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:24 AM   #6
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I asked that question when I had the EGR cooler renewed under the recall.
I was told it carried the same 2 year guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
I asked that question when I had the EGR cooler renewed under the recall.
I was told it carried the same 2 year guarantee.
Correct. 2 years warranty.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
Ye it does look like a complete unit unfortunately. An expensive one at that.

I'm thinking of maybe going down the EGR delete route now - blanked off and coded out.

I've been trying to think of some sort of temporary fix. I'm thinking now of getting a steel scourer/wire wool, twisting strands together, cover in exhaust putty, wrap it around the split area and clamping with a jubilee clip. Hopefully that will stop a lot of the leakage.

Luckily I only had a few miles left when I noticed something was off.
Get yourself and the car up to Avon Tuning. They'll code-out the EGR and fit a blanking plate for £200.

You'd need to check where they insert the blaming plate though - no use if it's after the split in the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks for the help guys.

I've managed to bodge it with exhaust putty, holts exhaust bandage repair then a jubilee clip.

So far it looks to be holding well, will be keeping a close eye on it. Drove to and from Weston super mare. Doesn't seem to be leaking much.

Thanks for the recommendation Watsey, will give them a ring in the morning and ask.

The car is a 65 plate 320d with a B47 engine. I've owned it for two years, bought from a main dealer. Never had a recall done I've also checked if it's due one.

Car was towing well within limits. Caravan fully laden weight of 1235kg vs car capability of 1600kg.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:45 AM   #10
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

You could also consider Forza in Caldicot. Very good BMW indy.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

I thought I'd update this.

I managed to nurse the car home with the bodge. Once I got home I ordered and fitted a blanking plug to close off the port in the exhaust manifold until it can be fixed, this obviously threw a EML.

I had two options, get it coded and keep the blanking plug in place, or stick it into the dealership and hope BMW grant a goodwill.

As the car was due a service I took option two.

So a bit of background, the car is a 65 plate 46000 miles was bought from a main dealer (a different one than I use) with full main dealer service history.

In the end there was no cost to me for the repair, they even replaced the intake pipe below that had melted slightly, although it only looked to be cosmetic to me when I spotted it.

Good result.
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
C320340.50
      10-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Great result! Glad you got it sorted
Appreciate 0