F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What is the best *handling* car one can buy new/stock?
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #23
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

my 86 was one of the best handling cars i've had. i had more fun tossing that thing through corners than my GTR or E46. lap times don't tell you how willing a car is to be chucked into a corner or how progressively it breaks away when traction is gone.

under 40-50k i'd say the best handling new car is an 86
under 100k its probably cayman or evora/emira

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
      09-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nothing comparable between a light, rwd car and a CTR in terms of handling, even though it is great for a fwd car. Plus the old CTR doesn't seem to have sufficient cooling. Hopefully the fix it with the new one. Plus it's 30" longer than a Miata.
The autocross events I've been to disagree.

Yes, it's no Miata, but it's very nimble. If it's a larger course, I can beat it, if it's a smaller course, I can not.

One of the fastest cars we have at autoX is a prepped Ford Fiesta ST. Wheelbase, small wheels, decent acceleration, with good suspension and tires something like that can easily outhandle a RWD car (and it does, all the freaking time).

To that extent, it really just depends on where one finds their happy place, because you can go so far in either direction that there's almost no end. We've had a legend racing car at some of our last events and it's insane fast around turns, so quick. But it's not even street legal. Then yeah, there's Miatas and Fiats that just sail around the turns carrying so much speed, but does anyone want to drive those over a long distance?

IME racing it, the Type R is an outstanding car and quite under-rated. To that extent, the stigma of FWD is not always warranted, there are cars that defy it.

The Cayman is a real good choice because it's light and nimble enough to compete well in the smaller events and powerful enough and fast enough to compete in a little bigger stuff too. That's what I mean as far as how far you want to go, it's a very livable choice, as is the Toyota, etc.
      09-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #25
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

For a stock car the Camaro SS 1LE has awesome handling. And much, much more power than the Miata.

Miata needs some mods to really shine. It's too floppy stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The objective answer is probably going to be some sort of exotic.

I'd be more interested in a list by price/category. Seems like in the more affordable price bracket it's between the Miata and BRZ. Higher price Boxster/Cayman or the upcoming Lotus Emira. Next bracket up likely the 911. Then in exotic territory we are looking at literally any of the many exotics on the market including the 911 GT3 RS.

As far as reasonably-priced sedans go I'd say the Giulia for sure. Amongst higher priced sedans likely M3 or Giulia QV, maybe M5CS?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #27
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
For a stock car the Camaro SS 1LE has awesome handling. And much, much more power than the Miata.

Miata needs some mods to really shine. It's too floppy stock.
Oh it does, it's solid and just a monster of a car, in all the good ways. It's not the best at AutoX, but it doesn't suck at it either. I won novice category this season and at our events with a slightly bigger AutoX course, I start jumping placement way up to the much more serious and experienced drivers, like 4th overall last weekend. It's hard to not sing the praises of the car. Ford has finally created something with equal handling and power to weight, the Mach 1, but it's taken years and years, compared to when the SS 1LE came out.

But it all goes back to livability and what you want. I wanted a bit more space, ability to haul some stuff, the 2SS version makes it good for GT. You can step up to the C8, which is another level of insanity, even better handling, better power/acceleration, overall much faster around a track, etc. Just depends on what level you are looking for. I think you have to look for the "best handling" or "good handling" cars within at least some base criteria, otherwise you go to the Ariel Atom and Lotus cars with only that criteria. On the other hand, there are some giant brute cars that handle very well for their category, they won't win an autocross, but they'll be hanging right there around any bigger track, like the new CTS-V...so again, we gotta be fairly specific.

Hard to go wrong with a Cayman again, there's a reason it almost always makes any top-10 sportscar list.
      10-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #28
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

A few people have hit it. The Porsche Boxster/Cayman are untouchable in the handling arena - from comparisons or tests done over the past 20+ years. You just can't beat a balanced low-slung mid-engine car. The new Stingray is now probably equal.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:25 AM   #29
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Alpine A110
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
wtwo317864.00
      10-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
OP found out what handling means to everyone is very different, then slowly diverge to what everyone's ideal handling car is...

I had 2 MX-5s, one NB, one NC, and drove a NA and ND before, and they share one trait that makes them 'fun', and that's the ability to absolutely enjoy the upper limits of a vehicle (and very beyond it), without worrying about losing your license, or throwing yourself into the ditch, its not frightening to touch those limits, every day, because there is no fear of it getting away from me. 86/BRZ feels the same way, just slightly less so in exchange for more everyday practicality

Of course, it all depends on your vehicle's use. MX-5 is great stock for canyon carving, and autox. Does okay for track days and it never ceases to amaze me how many Porsches and other 'faster' cars I can reel in after 2-3 corners. Of course I have been trounced many times by proper drivers in Porsches too. I do feel I am having far more fun as I am reaching those upper limits of the car's ability far more of the time, and I never have to feel scared if I touch beyond those limits.

I go back to the original point, on metrics the MX-5 is slow, a Porsche easily trounce them everywhere, but you also gotta live with the car and all the financial obligations that go with it, if you can afford it then this should be moot, but I'd doubt anyone enjoy fixing their car and face the bills when they can just be driving. Mazda parts are plentiful and inexpensive, Porsche parts are not plentiful and expensive.

Oddly I am one of the few people who did not like the Boxster/Cayman, twice I had a chance to get a Boxster S, and both times I did not get it, i feel it is way too clinical. Amazing abilities on paper, i can argue whether it will be faster than my current pick, but it is not 'fun'. For a weekend toy, which is my purpose for the Z4M, it just does not hit me the same way

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
Alpine A110
Sadly, they don't sell em outside of EU

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #31
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

What about alfa 4c?
      10-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #32
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
BAC MONO imho
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #33
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
What about alfa 4c?
Needs very smooth roads, she's a bit uncompromising, makes the cayman seem like a limo. On a smooth rod though, look out.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #34
IMCM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Lotus Evora GT (Manual Trans of course).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
OP found out what handling means to everyone is very different, then slowly diverge to what everyone's ideal handling car is...
Perhaps you have it the other way around lol, I'm pretty specific in what I want and while some ppl are in agreement, others are kinda talking about something different.

Re 4C, ya, that was my near-ideal car but can't buy new now. Evoras are kinda old news now, why not wait for an Emira? In any event, the Evora didn't appeal to me.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
kyriian872.00
      10-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #36
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Upcoming Cayman GT4 RS. Most likely be gold standard for small, light, and nimble.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      10-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #37
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
BAC MONO imho
That's not an opinion sir, that's a fact.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
BAC MONO imho
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
That's not an opinion sir, that's a fact.
True, it's both lighter and more powerful (way better power-to-wt) than many cars out there, from the humble MX-5 all the way to many exotics.

Ok, so what's the next best handling car then?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #39
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
ZL1 1LE dollar for dollar
An incredible car. A bit rough for a daily but it's a track monster.
Tons of power and great handling.
And yes a relative bargain.

If you need something you can drive everyday check out a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
While not perfect, brake by wire is finicky, power delivery in 1st and 2nd is limited by design, poor reliability and dealer network, there's nothing else that feels quite like it. Everyone should at least drive one once.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #40
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I will stick with cars that I have actually owned: I would say it depends on how you define handling. I like something that is fun to hustle around on the street as that is where I spend most of my time.

The stock ND Miata (I had a 124 Spider Abarth) has a decent amount of body roll. You can make it work, but I prefer something a little more planted. Two of my favorites that can still be found new are the Civic Type R and SS 1LE. You really can't judge the CTR until you have driven one. Handles much better than any FWD should be able to. Camaro SS 1LE is a tremendous value. Tons of fun on the street, lots of power and grip. It also sounds fantastic and is fully capable of doing track duty.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #41
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
True, it's both lighter and more powerful (way better power-to-wt) than many cars out there, from the humble MX-5 all the way to many exotics.

Ok, so what's the next best handling car then?
If you want something that's just as fun as ND2, but a little more practical, 2022 BRZ/GT86 would be my choice.

I've had an NA track rat, tracked a friends NB, owned two different NCs (one with MCS Double adjustable remotes, handled amazing, but it was like a $6k suspension setup.

Also had a '15 BRZ, Ground Control coilovers, E85 tune, MXP cat-back, and 18x9.5 RPF1s with 255/35 Direzza DZIIs. If the 2nd gen car has the same room under the fenders as the Gen I, you can squeeze 18x10 and 265/35s inside the fenders without a roll.

2750lb car with that much tire and a header/E85 tuen that will likely put it in 235-240whp range. Will be even more fun then my first gen was.

I'm still waiting for the final specs, options, price for the Performance trim level Z or I would have already ordered one.
Appreciate 3
Red Bread4462.00
kyriian872.00
      10-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #42
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Citroën Xantia

DrFerry6722.50
      10-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
If you want something that's just as fun as ND2, but a little more practical, 2022 BRZ/GT86 would be my choice.

I've had an NA track rat, tracked a friends NB, owned two different NCs (one with MCS Double adjustable remotes, handled amazing, but it was like a $6k suspension setup.

Also had a '15 BRZ, Ground Control coilovers, E85 tune, MXP cat-back, and 18x9.5 RPF1s with 255/35 Direzza DZIIs. If the 2nd gen car has the same room under the fenders as the Gen I, you can squeeze 18x10 and 265/35s inside the fenders without a roll.

2750lb car with that much tire and a header/E85 tuen that will likely put it in 235-240whp range. Will be even more fun then my first gen was.

I'm still waiting for the final specs, options, price for the Performance trim level Z or I would have already ordered one.
Ya, just about the only rival the MX-5 has, and the 2nd gen is supposedly much better since it got drastically alleviated that infamous torque dip. The power-to-wt is virtually a tie; even though the twins are more powerful, they are also heavier.

I don't really need any practicality (save for having a roof so no Atoms, Elevens, Slingshots, etc) and to me the ND2 RF is just more attractive than the twins.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      10-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #44
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, just about the only rival the MX-5 has, and the 2nd gen is supposedly much better since it got drastically alleviated that infamous torque dip. The power-to-wt is virtually a tie; even though the twins are more powerful, they are also heavier.

I don't really need any practicality (save for having a roof so no Atoms, Elevens, Slingshots, etc) and to me the ND2 RF is just more attractive than the twins.
The RF looks cool, no doubt. But I couldn't bring myself to lose even more trunk space and add something like 110 lbs.

And it doesn't look like the ND2 is receiving nearly the aftermarket support as far as drivetrain mods as it used to. Because of all the EPA stuff regarding emissions/tunes. For example, Edlebrock isn't even bothering to develop a S/C kit for the ND2.

Orange Virus Tuning and Good-Win Racing HP increases from tunes haven't been able to be verified by third parties. IE, not seeing close to the power gains they claim.

Even if I don't heavily mod a car, I like to know there is good aftermarket support if I do.

One last one, if you ever decided you want to do HPDE, you basically need an oil cooler, transmission cooler, and diff cooler for the NDs. In the search of lightweight, the fluid capacities are so small they get well in to the danger zone in less than a 20 minute session. Whereas the Twins just need an oil cooler. Which basically any modern car does for track work.
Appreciate 1