F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > High beam headlight right failure - Adaptive LED F31
Extreme Powerhouse

10-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Jord_NLR
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 340i Touring

High beam headlight right failure - Adaptive LED F31

Hi guys,

Really scratching my head over this. About 2 months ago my 340i began very sporadically throwing 'high beam headlight right failure' at which point none of the 'adaptive' features work and it actually seems part of the dipped beam dissappear on the drivers side (UK) light (primarily the little diamond shape part of the beam - those with the adaptive LED should hopefully understand!). The high beam pattern appears to be unaltered, and doing something like flashing does not affect the error message.

This would very rarely appear, and would usually disappear when the lights turned off and on again and not appear again for a while. With no rhyme or reason this began getting much more frequent and, as the message continuously pops up whilst driving meaning its very annoying, I took the car to the garage for some investigation work. Nothing could be found with the wiring, and the garage determined the headlight itself must have failed.

I purchased a replacement, which was fitted but the same issue reappeared after just a couple of days. Next the module must be to blame. Purchased new module, fitted, coded and same thing. 3 or 4 days in, message reappears. After the garage spent a good length of time with it switching lights and modules, they eventually fitted the original light and module back in and this has worked flawlessly again for around 800 miles in all weather conditions until today where it has been consistently warning me through 2x 30 minute journeys in both wet and dry weather.

I can't find any other mention of this error anywhere and after trying both headlight and module, I don't know where to go next.

Can anyone help shed some light?

Thanks!
Attached Images

10-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Not sure how it works with the LED's, but the incandescent did a "cold bulb" check that would pulse in some power to check if the bulb was intact (not enough to light it) when you first powered on the car.

If that module that checked it was faulty, then you would get erroneous "bulb failed" notifications.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Check the codes, there is almost certainly a more detailed error code/message stored in one of the modules.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Hey, did you ever solve this issue?
My 2018 F30 with adaptive LED has the same issue. Very sporadically I would get an error message saying my right high beam had failed, altough with my car it usually dissapeared after 10 seconds or so or after flashing the high beam. I haven't actually noticed any difference in adaptive functions of the headlight, nor did my right high beam actually seem broken. Light output seemed normal to me. I would get this message once every couple weeks or so. Sometimes just once and sometimes 10x in 15 minutes time, very annoying. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they had the car for a week but couldn't find anything wrong since the error never popped up.

Recently it popped up again but this time it keeps popping up everytime I clear it by flashing the lights, except for when the low beams are off. In short, the right highbeam malfunction error pops up whenever my lowbeams turn on (either automatic or manually by turning the switch) and as soon as the litle error triangle dissapears from the dash it pops up again as long as my low beams are still on.
I have another appointment with the dealer next week so I'm hoping it keeps throwing the error so they can diagnose it. My car is out of warranty so hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #5
gantona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i (euro market)

Hello,
did you figured it out ?

I have the same problems for months... sometime every minutes, sometime every 2 weeks...

I'm afraid CPO BMW warranty won't take it

keep me posted
thx
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
jamborees
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

I had this exact same problem a while back. BMW recalibrated the headlight level sensor and that resolved it. Not sure if it'll fix your exact issue, but it sorted mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:55 AM   #7
gantona
Private First Class
Rep

Car was at the dealer yesterday. They will switch control led control module left and front, to see if the issue moves to the other side.
If yes, they will change the control module
if not, they will change the headlight

the service advisor is confident it should be covered by BMW CPO Warranty...

Will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
drenhajdari
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

I have same issue on my F30, even that I have changed completely the Light Unit and also the modules.

Whats weird is that after removing the connector from light unit and reconnecting it the error will disappear for couples of days and then returning back.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 03:17 AM   #9
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

As stated earlier in this thread I had the same issue with my adaptive LEDs. First time I brought it to the dealer they couldn't find anything since the error never popped up while in the shop.
Couple months later I took it to the dealer again since the error message kept popping up constantly so there was no way they could miss it. They swapped the modules from left to right but the error kept popping up for the right side, so it had to be the headlight itself and not the module.

They quoted me € 2000+ for a new headlight plus labour, so instead I drove a couple hours to the car dealer over in Germany where I bought the car in the first place (not a BMW dealership). In Germany you get 6 months warranty by law, plus an additional 6 months but then you have to prove the problem already existed at the time of purchase.

He then brought it to his local BMW dealership and had the problem diagnosed. They did the same as my local BMW dealership; switch the modules and drive it for a bit to see if the problem persists. They drove the car for a week before the error popped up again. Eventually they just put in a completely new headlight and that fixed the issue; I've been driving around (headlight) error free for about 3 months now

Luckily for the guy I bought the car from, he didn't have to pay a thing since BMW Germany decided to reimburse 100% of the costs as goodwill, something BMW Netherlands didn't want to.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #10
ShawJohn
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335D X-Drive Shaddow Ed.

I have same warning message in my 2017 F30 335d with adaptive.
Also I have Bimmercode, Bimmerlink, and ISTA+ so doing the leg work myself.
Only the outer 1/3 of the High Beam led bar illuminates when error is active.

Diagnostics state failed front right lighting module, yet ISTA+ tells me it is an open circuit fault in low beam.

Swapped modules L to R. Problem stays on right. Swapped entire headlight units LtoR problem moves to left, yet error still says RHS.
It was intermittent, now 3wks later its constant with lights on.
Also had my 5yr old batter die due to car not sleeping.

Baffled by this.

Where is the level sensor?

John
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 02:03 AM   #11
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawJohn View Post
Swapped entire headlight units LtoR problem moves to left, yet error still says RHS.
I think the car knows the right headlight belongs to the right-hand side of the car, so even when you move it to the left the car still knows it actually belongs on the right-hand side (left and right have different part numbers after all). Hence the error staying on the RHS.

Can't really help you much further I'm afraid, as I didn't do any diagnostics myself. (should probably get myself Carly and an E-net cable for Christmas)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 02:08 AM   #12
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

I think the only fix for this is to get a new RHS headlight unit. It was the only fix for both my car and OP's car (I sent him a message a while back to ask if and how he resolved this issue).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #13
JimmyJab340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

Hi - a bit of a thread resurrection here, but just started getting the same issue "High Beam Headlight Right Failure', which randomly happens and then disappears on its own shortly after.
I see a couple have been replaced and this solved the problem. Was that under warranty? I've got ours booked in with dealers to be looked at, hoping that the extended warranty will cover it!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #14
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Sorry for the late reply. My car was out of warranty but BMW Germany paid for the parts and labour as goodwill
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 04:50 PM   #15
myszano1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30

Just wondering if anyone solved this issue, I gave exactly same on my F31 LCI with led headlights.
Any suggestions for coding out?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:51 AM   #16
JimmyJab340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by myszano1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone solved this issue, I gave exactly same on my F31 LCI with led headlights.
Any suggestions for coding out?
My initial trip to the dealers didn’t show any fault strangely, however fault came back 2 weeks ago and wouldn’t clear.
I also got an “Adaptive Headlights Failure” warning come up, however this did clear itself.
Downloaded BimmerLink and a few fault codes had been thrown up, so notes these and booked back in with dealer.
Long story short - just collected the car after they replaced the headlight and required modules. That’s about 8 years of warranty payments just paid for themselves!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 03:15 AM   #17
gantona
Private First Class
Rep

Hello,
been thru this 1 year ago.

So basically, it seems the headlight is having internal wiring issues (loose / bad wire). there is no way to fix it since it's internal.

You have to replace the headlight, but you can keep your modules.
You have nothing to code thru ISTA, since you are keeping your original modules.

I used Hella OEM headlights, and it's working fine now.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #18
sverig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I had exactly this problem, I solved it by pulling the contact out through the hatch, the final contact was broken and it was only holding on to the insulation.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2030492
Appreciate 0