F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Sky News Talks Sense About Diesels!
GetBMWParts

01-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Sky News Talks Sense About Diesels!

Finally one of the major news outlets talks sense about diesels, and the fact that they are NOT the devil in disguise, and the way motorists are being punished for buying them when asked to.

“The deliberate pushing of households into a particular type of car - the second-largest spending commitment households make - and then punishing them for it later represents one of the worst frauds the British government has perpetrated on the public in recent times.”

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views...-jobs-11604101

Hopefully this is the beginning of the tide turning back in the right direction, and stopping the demonising of diesel cars, which emit less Co2, and in many cases less particulates than their petrol counterparts!
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
Soul_Glo13342.00
      01-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

2nd largest spending commitment households make........

Bullshit, I spend about twice as much per month on red wine than I do my car.
Appreciate 3
Pequin230.00
Edinburra546.50
DaveH28287.00
      01-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

Reassuring for anyone that’s just bought a diesel rather than eco friendly petrols and electrics
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
2nd largest spending commitment households make........

Bullshit, I spend about twice as much per month on red wine than I do my car.
That’s the way to do it
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Finally one of the major news outlets talks sense about diesels, and the fact that they are NOT the devil in disguise, and the way motorists are being punished for buying them when asked to.

“The deliberate pushing of households into a particular type of car - the second-largest spending commitment households make - and then punishing them for it later represents one of the worst frauds the British government has perpetrated on the public in recent times.”

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views...-jobs-11604101

Hopefully this is the beginning of the tide turning back in the right direction, and stopping the demonising of diesel cars, which emit less Co2, and in many cases less particulates than their petrol counterparts!
These sorts of articles have been around for a while. Few and far between, and until politicians start giving official reassurances on News at Ten, this sort of stuff is going to make very little difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
These sorts of articles have been around for a while. Few and far between, and until politicians start giving official reassurances on News at Ten, this sort of stuff is going to make very little difference.
Have any of the major news outlets produced damning reports like this before? I haven’t seen any.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-drivers.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...fall-30pc-one/

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content...-the-car-buyer

There are literally hundreds of reports and the general message that the government have unfairly fucked this up for the public and manufacturing has been around for quite some time. On larger sites and smaller sites.

I doubt one report on Sky News is going to make much difference. But, if you want to believe it will that's your prerogative, and even if I don't agree, it'd be good if you were right in this case.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-drivers.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...fall-30pc-one/

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content...-the-car-buyer

There are literally hundreds of reports and the general message that the government have unfairly fucked this up for the public and manufacturing has been around for quite some time. On larger sites and smaller sites.

I doubt one report on Sky News is going to make much difference. But, if you want to believe it will that's your prerogative, and even if I don't agree, it'd be good if you were right in this case.
Ah ok, i must have missed those stories a year ago. Hopefully they gain more traction this time!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

The job losses at JLR and union pressure is more likely to get them thinking about the message. But, even then, it's hard to backtrack when you've sent out clear messages and put legislation in place.

We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The job losses at JLR and union pressure is more likely to get them thinking about the message. But, even then, it's hard to backtrack when you've sent out clear messages and put legislation in place.

We'll see.
I don't know what's happened to that new Bosch diesel emissions filter system, hopefully that will be market ready soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Problem is trust has been lost. Government policy, diesel-gate and the way the NEDC test regime was 'gamed' by many companies to fudge the real mpg and therefore CO2 figures/targets.

Some of the CO2 'statements' are also so far way out of reality, even diesel's so called 'lower ratings' have not been reflected in the real world. Figures banded about on the savings due to diesel, were not correct either, CO2 hasn't dropped the way fleet figures say they should have fallen. That is smoke and mirrors as well. The elephant in the room.

Petrol is no saviour either, DI petrol engines have their own issues. Particulate filters are partly addressing that problem, but how many existing petrol engines are so equipped?
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I don't know what's happened to that new Bosch diesel emissions filter system, hopefully that will be market ready soon!
Read the small print... there is nothing really new from my reading, more improvements based on existing knowledge and technology.

The cynic in me says, if they know how to improve emissions with better technology application, why didn't they do it pre diesel-gate?

More interested in how the Loughborough University NOx break-through is progressing. Projects like that usually take years to get to the market place.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
The government will generally feed the populous what the government wants them to believe and usually they won’t let facts or reality get in the way.

How eco are electric cars when you look at their total life cycle especially the early batteries.

I’m sticking with my 335xd for now.

Last edited by Kal101; 01-13-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      01-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

And we all know how environmentally friendly batteries are!
Appreciate 2
teaston10993.50
      01-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal101 View Post
The government will generally feed the populous what the government wants them to believe and usually they won't let facts or reality get in the way.
Indeed they will, and have done since time immemorial

Telling us that diesel is the devils fuel also helps the govt to justify the hike in the price of diesel over petrol

The govt doesn't give a rats arse about the environment and the impact of burning fossil fuels on our health - there are barely any votes in it, that's why. Look at the rationale behind our latest road tax - environmental impact doesn't get much of a look in, beyond the initial purchase.

The politics of the environment are a bit different in Germany and in the Netherlands for example, where it's much more of a vote winner/loser, and they have proportional representation of course

I can't imagine that Michael Gove loses much sleep over the health-destroying levels of NOx and particulates in our major cities. He's a self-serving career politician par excellence, just like the rest of the cabinet
      01-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #16
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

All I’ll say on this is 18 months into my 3 year PCP, BMW called to offer me 20k for my car. GFV was £22.5k According to WBAC at the time, the value was £21k.

Today, another 18 months later WBAC values it at £19.5k. That depreciation has hit the brakes somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Dieselgate has pretty much killed the market here in the US. That's insane given the distances we have to travel by road from the MidWest to the Pacific.

Right now all the BMW diesels (new and used) in the dealers are in lockdown due to the EGR recall. I'm hoping to score a well optioned X3d I've spotted for my wife when they are released.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Dieselgate has pretty much killed the market here in the US. That's insane given the distances we have to travel by road from the MidWest to the Pacific.

Right now all the BMW diesels (new and used) in the dealers are in lockdown due to the EGR recall. I'm hoping to score a well optioned X3d I've spotted for my wife when they are released.
But gasoline is so cheap over there if I lived in the US I wouldn't have a diesel!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #19
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I would, they are better to drive IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #20
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
But gasoline is so cheap over there if I lived in the US I wouldn't have a diesel!
If you drive a BMW F30 or F10, that mostly works. However, the US market is in pickups and SUVs. They get half the mileage on the road compared to a BMW saloon (sedan for my US readers) if you are lucky.

When gasoline spiked to over $4/gallon last time the wailing and gnashing of teeth was epic. Americans don't expect personal travel in their vehicle to be a noticeable expense. When it is they go crazy because nearly all of them max out their pay every week/month. A spike in fuel cost just kills them. If you try and educate them into driving less by consolidating journeys and using the cruise control at all times you might as well be speaking a dead dialect of Klingon.

Coming from the UK I have a somewhat eye rolling attitude towards the bitching. I can usually shut down a debate by saying, "I'm from Europe. When gas gets expensive, I'll let you know". I try to make sure I have an open door to my back before saying it though...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
All I’ll say on this is 18 months into my 3 year PCP, BMW called to offer me 20k for my car. GFV was £22.5k According to WBAC at the time, the value was £21k.

Today, another 18 months later WBAC values it at £19.5k. That depreciation has hit the brakes somewhat.
And some interesting second hand diesel figures reported here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46823729
Appreciate 0