F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
Studio RSR

11-15-2018, 03:40 AM   #1475
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Hello,
I have an issue with the MCU update.. I follow the instructions in order to update it, but then as I start and it asks for the confirmations nothing happens..
I saw that also other people in this thread have this same issue, does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for the support guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #1476
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
So, j contacted manufacturer and they've confirmed there is no additional cable required and that I have the correct harness.
My issue now is:
Unit connects fine, android side boots, touch screen works, but OEM side is working in the background and not displaying on the new screen, the Idrive controller still operates the OEM side but has no effect on the android side and sound only comes from the OEM side.
There's a couple of can1, can2 wires on the harness, 3 female,2male plugs. Wonder if it's related to those?
To get sound from the Android side you need to plug the Aux cable in to the lead on the headhunt and then in to the aux socket in the centre console.

I also have the champ2 system with nbt, even though I have the optical cables this is what I needed to do.

In the factory settings try changing the iDrive setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #1477
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have just installed the Avin Gen2 7.1 unit to my 2013 F30 with entry nav and 6.5 nbt screen.

The issue I have is that I have tried all the car types available in the factory settings but cannot get my iDrive screen to fit properly.

Either I lose about 1cm from the right if I choose the 6.5 half screen or it stretches it way out of proportion if I choose fullscreen.

Other options just show a screen with interference. The only one that is partially usable is for 7 series 8.8 10.25 option, however I then lose about 5mm from the bottom of the screen so when I go into iDrive the last option in any screen is not visible.

I have the latest update.

Is there anything that can be done regarding this?

If not I will take it out and go back the factory unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #1478
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien78 View Post
For the guys who doesn't know how to expand from 6.5" unit to 10.25 full screen, you have to add the 2 following options :

HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

Go to factory settings in android, and choose full size.

working well on my 6.5 to 10.25.
I don't have the option to code my screen because I have the cic champ2 system with nbt screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #1479
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

So installed Ugode 7.1 unit on my X4(same as later X3).

Very impressed so far. Installation was easy. No need to run anything to AUX and sound seems fine on both iDrive and Android side. Can stream BT music ok without any mods or external devices.

Going to use Carwebguru as launcher rather than have default ID6 interface so everything is on screen in one place.

Have been using Macrodroid to start up hotpot on phone and ensure Android BT is selected rather than BMW BT but seems a bit hit and miss - maybe my phone.

Now wanting to try and use BT teathering rather than WiFi teathering as should eliminate the need you Macrodroid but can't seem to see how to get unit to use Internet via BT- can't stop this in BT settings.

Anyone know how to get Internet via BT- teathering on these units?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #1480
garcijav
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Hello,
I have an issue with the MCU update.. I follow the instructions in order to update it, but then as I start and it asks for the confirmations nothing happens..
I saw that also other people in this thread have this same issue, does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for the support guys!
I have the same problem. I updated since 5 week and now I can not connect android part.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1481
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi AW MSport Stg 2

Anyone know what DAC they use on the 7.1 or 8.1 head unit? My biggest hesitation of switching to these head units is audio quality... I can stream across high quality Bluetooth via the LDAC codec on the new 8.1 head unit but if they use a crappy DAC than it doesn't really matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #1482
tst06
Rep
Drives: F30 3.20i eD

Can anyone show me how to run aux cable through arm rest? I don't have a optical cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #1483
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

pardon my ignorance on the subject, hoping you guys can shed some light on the matter. What is the difference between the PX6 that Louie says is unstable and the post located a couple below us reviewing the PX6 from 4x4 as stable? Is it the hardware difference or software difference?

if I had to guess, most likely its from a similar manufacturer in china and relabeled... again thats a shot in the dark

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #1484
lubovip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI, I3 2014

I have Avin unit but since their support is really bad, I decided to flash with the latest firmware from ugode PX3_Android7-1_20180920.
Everything is working,but no signal issue happens. Perhaps less often than before.
I also followed the instructions and disabled the task killer, but this morning again the tune in stopped working after I opened waze. Also I added front usb camera , but cannot make it work with the dvr app. The camera is detected as usb device and records on its own internal SD card, but on the dvr app the screen is black.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by lubovip; 11-20-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #1485
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 & E88

Hi all!

I managed to buy one of these devices on reasonable good price from Aliexpress on their recent shopping day. It’s the Android 7 version and seems to open factory settings with 1314 code. Even it is not mentioned anywhere, I assume it is one of those Ugode devices then.

I installed the screen to F34 and replaced NBT’t 6.5” display where audio had been upgraded with Alpine upgrade package. I did not have to use AUX cable to get the audio, kind of surprising. All works pretty well, but some minor issues. I read thru this chain but still some questions remained:

How did you do with the screen resolution? The split screen where BMW side is on left and ”some kind” of onboard computer right is awful. If the onboard computer would show something smart, it would be nice, but now there is just few pieces of information on such large space. So I went to Android factory settings and changed the resolution to something like 6.5 Full in order to hide the awful onboard computer. Acceptable but looks swollen. I also went on BMW side coding and changed display variant to wide (don’t recall what it was in German) and then in Android changed to 10,25. Surprisingly E-Sys was telling the resolution was already high with 10 inch screen! However It looked like the screen was slightly too big and topmost row of texts did not fit to screen. Any idea what are the exact configurations on both BMW and Android side to make it fit nicely? Honestly scared of doing more coding and any exact information would be appreciated what to put on both devices (I know it's been discussed here but I could not find exact information).

Another thing is with Navigation and GPS. The GPS seems to take ages to locate and the accuracy is a bit weird. Sometimes it shows me driving maybe 50 meters away from the road ja suddenly jumps back to the road or offroad. Does anyone have similar issues?

Not sure about other navigation apps, but Waze seems to work fine except the voice prompts. For example, when navigating and listening music on Android device, all works fine and is super cool. The audio quality is like original. However when having BMW radio turned on and Waze navigating, the audio comes only from front left speaker and somewhat distorted. Any idea if this can be configured better?

Other than that cool device, definitely will stay on dashboard until something revolutionary will come out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #1486
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tst06 View Post
Can anyone show me how to run aux cable through arm rest? I don't have a optical cable.
Search on YouTube. There are many videos on installing android head units. I remember seeing one about routing the aux cable to the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #1487
s2kvee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
The connector behind your original display decides which android head unit (CIC/NBT) you need to buy.

So i have a weird situation.

i bought my system used, previous owner claims to have had it installed on his 2014 NBT without navi, however i have it installed and working properly on my 2013 CIC with navi.

should i use a NBT MCU update?

is it confirmed, that the NBT system is compatible with the CIC system. I know i can uninstall the unit to check, but too lazy.
      11-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #1488
tst06
Rep
Drives: F30 3.20i eD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoken View Post
Search on YouTube. There are many videos on installing android head units. I remember seeing one about routing the aux cable to the armrest.
I nearly watched all of it. All of them saying route your aux cord from armrest but no one shows how to do it
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #1489
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoskog View Post
Hi all!

I managed to buy one of these devices on reasonable good price from Aliexpress on their recent shopping day. It’s the Android 7 version and seems to open factory settings with 1314 code. Even it is not mentioned anywhere, I assume it is one of those Ugode devices then.

I installed the screen to F34 and replaced NBT’t 6.5” display where audio had been upgraded with Alpine upgrade package. I did not have to use AUX cable to get the audio, kind of surprising. All works pretty well, but some minor issues. I read thru this chain but still some questions remained:

How did you do with the screen resolution? The split screen where BMW side is on left and ”some kind” of onboard computer right is awful. If the onboard computer would show something smart, it would be nice, but now there is just few pieces of information on such large space. So I went to Android factory settings and changed the resolution to something like 6.5 Full in order to hide the awful onboard computer. Acceptable but looks swollen. I also went on BMW side coding and changed display variant to wide (don’t recall what it was in German) and then in Android changed to 10,25. Surprisingly E-Sys was telling the resolution was already high with 10 inch screen! However It looked like the screen was slightly too big and topmost row of texts did not fit to screen. Any idea what are the exact configurations on both BMW and Android side to make it fit nicely? Honestly scared of doing more coding and any exact information would be appreciated what to put on both devices (I know it's been discussed here but I could not find exact information).

Another thing is with Navigation and GPS. The GPS seems to take ages to locate and the accuracy is a bit weird. Sometimes it shows me driving maybe 50 meters away from the road ja suddenly jumps back to the road or offroad. Does anyone have similar issues?

Not sure about other navigation apps, but Waze seems to work fine except the voice prompts. For example, when navigating and listening music on Android device, all works fine and is super cool. The audio quality is like original. However when having BMW radio turned on and Waze navigating, the audio comes only from front left speaker and somewhat distorted. Any idea if this can be configured better?

Other than that cool device, definitely will stay on dashboard until something revolutionary will come out.
You ned to try all the different options for the display.

I had a 6.5 and the only one that is acceptable is the one for the 7 series 8.8 screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #1490
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
You ned to try all the different options for the display.

I had a 6.5 and the only one that is acceptable is the one for the 7 series 8.8 screen.
Managed to get this sorted out. On BMW side, using E-Sys I changed the screen to wide and told it to be 8 inch model. By default E-Sys proposes 10 inch after reading the car but apparently it scales incorrectly with the Android display. For some reason 10 inch was too big. Perhaps BMW display has a bit different aspect ratio or it is a bug in my version of NBT.

Then back to Android and changed the screen to "8 or 10 inch model". If I recall it correctly, the 3rd option on the list. Need to remember tap it twice to actually select it.

Now the default BMW menu looks wide as designed, great and fits to the screen nicely, hiding the awful Android's onboard computer split screen. It looks probably as the car would have come from the factory with a large screen.

Last edited by sjoskog; 11-23-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #1491
jmaak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

How do you get to the android factory settings to change the display size?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #1492
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaak View Post
How do you get to the android factory settings to change the display size?
On Android side select from the menu the option which allows you to see all applications. There you have Settings. Click that one and then the last on the list (not sure what it was called). There you should have fours buttons on the row and first one (leftmost) allows to see factory settings by entering the code 1314.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #1493
jmaak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Cool, thanks !
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #1494
Tekniques
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tst06 View Post
I nearly watched all of it. All of them saying route your aux cord from armrest but no one shows how to do it
I just finished installing my 7.1 unit from Aliexpress and had to run the AUX on my 2014 CIC X6 E71. I went on the passenger side and on my car their was 1 screw on the side carpeted panel, then using a trim tool had to pop off the panel near the middle as it was held by plastic plugs, then finally slide the panel forward. From their you can run cables underneath the centre idrive and back to the armrest. In the armrest I took out the plate that holds the AUX & 12v which created a hole large enough for my hand to pull through the cable from underneath. I also pulled through a USB for Carplay adapter and another USB for my dashcam which I plan to power from the 12v inside the armrest.

Having issues with Carplay navigation at the moment where I can't hear any of the Apple Maps or Google Maps voice navigation, even thought the volume icon is on.... "UPDATE"

After completely disconnecting my iPhone (IOS 12.1) from OEM bluetooth, I can now hear navigation audio via CarPlay. However when making a phone call, I can hear them, they can't hear me. When I re-add the iPhone to OEM bluetooth (telephone & data only, not audio) and then make a call using the CarPlay adapter, they can now hear me. Does anyone know whats going here?

Last edited by Tekniques; 11-26-2018 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: adding more information
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:11 AM   #1495
alex1991
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 2011

Just a quick one.

Is this last version of the system?
Attached Images

Last edited by alex1991; 11-26-2018 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #1496
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniques View Post
After completely disconnecting my iPhone (IOS 12.1) from OEM bluetooth, I can now hear navigation audio via CarPlay. However when making a phone call, I can hear them, they can't hear me. When I re-add the iPhone to OEM bluetooth (telephone & data only, not audio) and then make a call using the CarPlay adapter, they can now hear me. Does anyone know whats going here?
The Android head unit and cannot use the OEM microphone.. So, when you're not connected to the OEM bluetooth you don't have the microphone and people can't hear you.. But when you connect to it, you're making calls using the OEM (maybe it seems as if you're on CarPlay, but in background you're using the OEM system for the phone calls)..

Or at least that's what I think it's the issue, I'm facing the same problem..
Appreciate 0