F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

11-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #1497
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 & E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1991 View Post
Just a quick one.

Is this last version of the system?
Probably not, but it may depend. In the MCUVer row it says "CIC" while I have NBT. So these are not necessarily comparable.

I got my device a week ago and the OSVer is 3.0.101+ dated Sep 3 2018 and APPVer 20180920-Ver1.0.0.0001
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #1498
Tekniques
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 (2014)

Experience with CarPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
The Android head unit and cannot use the OEM microphone.. So, when you're not connected to the OEM bluetooth you don't have the microphone and people can't hear you.. But when you connect to it, you're making calls using the OEM (maybe it seems as if you're on CarPlay, but in background you're using the OEM system for the phone calls)..

Or at least that's what I think it's the issue, I'm facing the same problem..
Makes sense. Its easy to forget that CarPlay is in essence just a remote control and your iPhone is the "nerve centre" of the CarPlay integration. I've done some more testing and found the following:

Statements:
"my interest with these HU's was to gain CarPlay and only care for that feature and how it works"
"I need the AUX in order to hear audio from the Android side".
"I do not use the bluetooth on the Android side".

CarPlay Use Case 1 - you control your iPhone via CarPlay and audio is streamed from the OEM bluetooth, thus eliminating the need for the AUX connection. Ensure OEM bluetooth is configured for Telephone, data & audio and select your iPhone on the OEM side under External Devices.

Pros
  1. audio quality comes from OEM bluetooth, not AUX
  2. CarPlay Siri works as its going via OEM bluetooth and using OEM Mic
  3. When making calls, you can hear them and they hear you (due to your iPhone being connected to OEM bluetooth
Cons
  1. Audio from turn-by-turn navigation from Apple Maps or Google Maps cannot be heard. I tested and found for some strange reason the navigation audio is still routed back through the CarPlay adapter into the Android HU requiring the AUX to be used if you want to hear navigation turns.

CarPlay Use Case 2 - you control your iPhone via CarPlay and audio is streamed from the AUX connection. Ensure OEM bluetooth is configured for Telephone & data only (NOT audio) and select AUX on the OEM side under External Devices.

Pros
  1. Audio from turn-by-turn navigation from Apple Maps or Google Maps can be heard.
  2. When making calls, you can hear them and they hear you (due to your iPhone being connected to OEM bluetooth (Telephone / data only)
Cons
  1. audio quality comes from AUX (not as good as OEM bluetooth)
  2. CarPlay Siri does not work (*need to double check this)

Thats the trade-off. Better quality audio via OEM bluetooth with no navigation audio Versus AUX quality audio with navigation audio.
* I also tested by disconnecting bluetooth completely and only relying on the CarPlay adapter. The result affected making phone calls as I could hear them but they couldn't hear me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 01:38 AM   #1499
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniques View Post
Makes sense. Its easy to forget that CarPlay is in essence just a remote control and your iPhone is the "nerve centre" of the CarPlay integration. I've done some more testing and found the following:

Statements:
"my interest with these HU's was to gain CarPlay and only care for that feature and how it works"
"I need the AUX in order to hear audio from the Android side".
"I do not use the bluetooth on the Android side".

CarPlay Use Case 1 - you control your iPhone via CarPlay and audio is streamed from the OEM bluetooth, thus eliminating the need for the AUX connection. Ensure OEM bluetooth is configured for Telephone, data & audio and select your iPhone on the OEM side under External Devices.

Pros
  1. audio quality comes from OEM bluetooth, not AUX
  2. CarPlay Siri works as its going via OEM bluetooth and using OEM Mic
  3. When making calls, you can hear them and they hear you (due to your iPhone being connected to OEM bluetooth
Cons
  1. Audio from turn-by-turn navigation from Apple Maps or Google Maps cannot be heard. I tested and found for some strange reason the navigation audio is still routed back through the CarPlay adapter into the Android HU requiring the AUX to be used if you want to hear navigation turns.

CarPlay Use Case 2 - you control your iPhone via CarPlay and audio is streamed from the AUX connection. Ensure OEM bluetooth is configured for Telephone & data only (NOT audio) and select AUX on the OEM side under External Devices.

Pros
  1. Audio from turn-by-turn navigation from Apple Maps or Google Maps can be heard.
  2. When making calls, you can hear them and they hear you (due to your iPhone being connected to OEM bluetooth (Telephone / data only)
Cons
  1. audio quality comes from AUX (not as good as OEM bluetooth)
  2. CarPlay Siri does not work (*need to double check this)

Thats the trade-off. Better quality audio via OEM bluetooth with no navigation audio Versus AUX quality audio with navigation audio.
* I also tested by disconnecting bluetooth completely and only relying on the CarPlay adapter. The result affected making phone calls as I could hear them but they couldn't hear me.
I don't have the streaming audio via bluetooth on my OEM system, so I always go for option 2..
In that case you can use Siri, but only after you've made a call and you select on your phone the bluetooth microphone.. I know, that's strange.. but it seems as if each time you plug the phone and you start using CarPlay the default microphone is the one in the android head unit.. but when you make a phone call, on your iphone screen you can select the oem bluetooth.. Then after the call the selected microphone is still the oem one and Siri can hear you..

Another thing that personally I hate is that, when someone calls me, the screen switch to the oem system.. Does it happen to you also?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:00 AM   #1500
Tekniques
Rep

Quote:
Another thing that personally I hate is that, when someone calls me, the screen switch to the oem system.. Does it happen to you also?
With Use case 2, I tested and Siri definitely can't hear me and when she speaks, its crackly/broken. For me Use Case 1 is the better method due to sound quality and Siri working, plus to answer your question, incoming calls remain on the CarPlay screen. However I will test your scenario (no OEM bluetooth) and see if it throws me to the OEM Telephone screen.

Theres one more gotcha (Con) with Use Case 1 - When first connecting your phone, and playing a song it will automatically route the audio through Autokit via the carplay adapter so you need to switch the audio to the bluetooth (OEM) on the iPhone's lockscreen. From then on it remains via OEM bluetooth. Its one more step to perform after launching Autokit.

On another note, every time I launch Autokit after ignition on (so once per trip) I get a pop up on screen asking "do you want to allow Autokit access to the USB device" and an extra option to set it as default action. I click yes, then CarPlay opens, but it doesn't seem to remember the setting, so you get asked again the next time you start the car. Annoying.

Can someone point me to where this hidden menu is to assign the idrive left or back button to function as "select" within CarPlay? I've looked in Factory settings and Settings to no avail.....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #1501
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tst06 View Post
I nearly watched all of it. All of them saying route your aux cord from armrest but no one shows how to do it
Persistence is omnipotent....
Try this one...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #1502
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
On another note, every time I launch Autokit after ignition on (so once per trip) I get a pop up on screen asking "do you want to allow Autokit access to the USB device" and an extra option to set it as default action. I click yes, then CarPlay opens, but it doesn't seem to remember the setting, so you get asked again the next time you start the car. Annoying.

Can someone point me to where this hidden menu is to assign the idrive left or back button to function as "select" within CarPlay? I've looked in Factory settings and Settings to no avail.....
No way to avoid the pop up on the screen unfortunately.

In order to assign the button you need to:
- open AutoPlay (or AutoKit) app without connecting the phone
- click on Setting
- search the app version
- click on it and hold down for 3/4 second, then swipe up
- do that until an hidden menu pops up
- there you'll be able to assign the button
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:21 AM   #1503
Tekniques
Rep

Quote:

- click on Setting
- search the app version
I'm getting a password prompt popup to enter that menu and nothing I've tried works... 0000, 1234, 1314, etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #1504
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting a password prompt popup to enter that menu and nothing I've tried works... 0000, 1234, 1314, etc...
There is no password in that menu.. it's the menu inside autokit app.. when you open the app and you don't plug the iphone there is the possibility to select "settings" there..

You DO NOT have to go to the setting menu in the Andorid system.. Just in the app one..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #1505
Tekniques
Rep

Quote:
There is no password in that menu.. it's the menu inside autokit app.. when you open the app and you don't plug the iphone there is the possibility to select "settings" there..

You DO NOT have to go to the setting menu in the Andorid system.. Just in the app one..
Yes thats exactly what I was doing... I'm in the Autokit App and click on settings in the top left corner where it shows various Autokit settings. Hold and swipe on the version area and it pops up with a password prompt (white dialog box).
Might be a new feature introduced in Autokit. I have the Carlinkit white dongle off Aliexpress that supports IOS12.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #1506
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
Does anyone here have a CIC system and a Champ2 headunit and is able to confirm or deny this additional cable that's been mentioned?
I have a 2013 320i xDrive with champ 2 and move navigation, however my screen has the NBT connector and only needed one lead to the head unit.

I did need to run the aux cable to the port under the centre arm rest though.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #1507
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Quote:

- click on Setting
- search the app version
- click on it and
Quote:

- click on Setting
- search the app version

I'm pretty sure you just need update the app. There was an update like 6 months ago that fixed it. You just connect to WiFi then scroll to the bottoms of the settings menu without the phone plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #1508
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Does anyone know where we can buy the GPS splitter cable except AvinUSA? I'm not from US and the shipping is very high.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #1509
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
do you mean this one?
Yes this one! I was trying to search for "gps splitter cable" and other combinations with no result.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #1510
alex1991
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
ok, happy to help
Can I ask you also for help?

I have a splitter and at very first step a have a problem,
One jack is going to the original GPS antenna
One jack is going in original "radio"
The last one should be going to the unit itself but where

Thank you and sorry for "post-attack"

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #1511
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Can I ask you also for help?

The last one should be going to the unit itself but where

Thank you and sorry for "post-attack"
Your Android unit should have ports like this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:25 AM   #1512
alex1991
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoken View Post
Your Android unit should have ports like this...
Well my does not have...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:39 AM   #1513
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well my does not have...
It won't work if there are no connection ports. Ask for a replacement unit....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #1514
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:

- click on Setting
- search the app version
I updated Autoplay app for CarPlay and I don’t know if that did the trick but I’m not getting the pop up screen any longer for usb it just connects straight away now 😀
Appreciate 1
Bosley4.00
      12-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #1515
gusestrella
Rep
Drives: 428i 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
I updated Autoplay app for CarPlay and I don’t know if that did the trick but I’m not getting the pop up screen any longer for usb it just connects straight away now 😀
Same here. Getting closer to the perfect solution for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #1516
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
That's a great news! Can't wait to update it this evening!
It's good to know that they are still working on 7.1 head unit, and not only on the new one to be released (with Andorid 8)!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #1517
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Regarding CarPlay and autoplay, do you experience any disconnects especially when iphone has low battery <40% ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #1518
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Regarding CarPlay and autoplay, do you experience any disconnects especially when iphone has low battery <40% ?
I've never noticed that in my car to be honest, but many users reported this issue..
Which box version and app version do you have? Maybe you just need to update them..

Yesterday I've updated both and now I have
- app vers: 2018.11.09.1746
- box vers: 2018.11.16.1029
Appreciate 0