F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > AC Schnitzer sports damper offer - FREE FITTING
proTUNING Freaks

01-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #89
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It'll be about £600.

I’ve had a quote for £638 inc 4 wheel alignment, it’s also from a company from Rossiters website so hopefully they’ve got good experience of doing the work. Now just to talk the mrs into it, I’ve only had the car for a week
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #90
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Do the ACS springs definitely not lower too much that the bump stops start getting hit??

My car is an f31 335d
      01-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #91
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
Do the ACS springs definitely not lower too much that the bump stops start getting hit??

My car is an f31 335d
Definitely not, I've had them on both passive and adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #92
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Thanks, I’ve got the peace of mind to book it in now, that was my last concern.
      01-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #93
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
My experience is different. I had ACS springs with OEM adaptive dampers on my 330d F31 for a year or so and the bump stops were split when I had the suspension upgraded to Ohlins Road & Track. The stops were still working, i.e. they hadn't completely disintegrated, but they were definitely showing signs of significant wear.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #94
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My experience is different. I had ACS springs with OEM adaptive dampers on my 330d F31 for a year or so and the bump stops were split when I had the suspension upgraded to Ohlins Road & Track. The stops were still working, i.e. they hadn't completely disintegrated, but they were definitely showing signs of significant wear.
If i am getting acs dampers is it worth changing the rear bump stops then?

I have had acs springs for over a year
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #95
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

Quote:
My experience too.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #96
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Quote:
If i am getting acs dampers is it worth changing the rear bump stops then?

I have had acs springs for over a year
You can check them by jacking the rear wheels off the ground and removing the wheels - this should give you a clear view of the bump stops.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #97
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can check them by jacking the rear wheels off the ground and removing the wheels - this should give you a clear view of the bump stops.
Thanks will do.

How much are replacement bump.stops roughly
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #98
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks will do.

Sorry, can't help with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #99
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Thanks will do.

£25

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263683172077
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #100
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

"Bump stops" is a bit of a misleading term as it suggests they only come into play at the end of the travel, whereas in fact they are more like a secondary spring, and form part of the suspension. They only need to be replaced if they are damaged or worn out. You'll soon feel the difference when they are worn out as the suspension will become very crashy over potholes etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #101
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
"Bump stops" is a bit of a misleading term as it suggests they only come into play at the end of the travel, whereas in fact they are more like a secondary spring, and form part of the suspension. They only need to be replaced if they are damaged or worn out. You'll soon feel the difference when they are worn out as the suspension will become very crashy over potholes etc.
Thanks lorcan.

For the sake of 25 Maybe worthwhile changing at time of fitting. That's my logic...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #102
Lorcan
Rep

Can't hurt
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #103
hudson012003
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue

Quote:
On the sports kit the rear bumpstops are the standard BMW ones, the front bumpstops are built into the AC Schnitzer suspension legs.
As @Lorcan says the rear bumpstops are as OEM, but on the front the ACS dampers are too thick for the OEM bumpstops & already have internal built in integral stops. I hadn't read the threads properly so had ordered the front & rear Monroe bumpstops for the 340i M-sport & only to be told upon arrival at garage this a.m. the front weren't necessary.

Had the springs done April'18 & even then I noticed dramatic change in the car at that time - so much so I didn't change from Comfort to Sport half as much as I use to. But I did notice after a few weeks it still wasn't what i had really expected (unpredictable on tight country lane changes, damp roundabouts, slightly uneven roads etc.). Local roads aren't brilliant (as we all know) & the front end would dive when going over humps on the road & you could especially feel the rear end of the car do something different on a tight bend or roundabout I dread to think now what I would think if I drove it as as per collection Feb'16

In all honesty I will hold my hands up & say without Lorcan's ACS springs offer I would have left the car on just the ACS springs, that would have been my bad - knowing it still wasn't great. It was another sizeable outlay after the springs but after driving home early p.m. with the ACS dampers installed & taking the scenic route down the local lanes the car was truly superb T'is what it should have been like from the beginning!

I know there are some of the long-term guys on here who are experts on most sports suspension manufacturers & I read all their previous threads but I feel AC Schnitzer suspension is one of the few offerings on the market that the layman can understand (especially with access to Lorcan). The handling is again massively improved and the car feels less floaty. It would be interesting to try a normal 340i M-sport with OEM suspension just to compare against my ACS springs & dampers set-up.

John Glover (Awesome GTI, Irlam) is the man to contact if you live in the Manchester area. Recommended by Lorcan last year & I've also used them for a couple of other jobs since. Very professional & great set-up if you just want to wait & watch the work being done in the viewing area (or watch Jeremy Kyle on their big screen TV) Cheers
Appreciate 2
Lorcan3608.00
Vasumir103.00
      01-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #104
Lorcan
Rep

Thanks for the write-up and confirmation that there is a big improvement to be had from the AC Schnitzer sports dampers, even on a rear wheel drive petrol M Sport model (as opposed to the more usual diesel xDrive).

Our 335d F31 demo car will be at Awesome week commencing 11th Feb if anyone would like to try it out. It has the AC Schnitzer sports kit (springs and dampers), performance upgrade (360hp) and 19" AC1 wheels with Conti Sport Contact 6 tyres.

After meeting with AC Schnitzer this week we are confident that there will still be potential for significant improvements with the 2019 G20/G21 models too.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #105
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson012003 View Post
Quote:
On the sports kit the rear bumpstops are the standard BMW ones, the front bumpstops are built into the AC Schnitzer suspension legs.
As @Lorcan says the rear bumpstops are as OEM, but on the front the ACS dampers are too thick for the OEM bumpstops & already have internal built in integral stops. I hadn't read the threads properly so had ordered the front & rear Monroe bumpstops for the 340i M-sport & only to be told upon arrival at garage this a.m. the front weren't necessary.

Had the springs done April'18 & even then I noticed dramatic change in the car at that time - so much so I didn't change from Comfort to Sport half as much as I use to. But I did notice after a few weeks it still wasn't what i had really expected (unpredictable on tight country lane changes, damp roundabouts, slightly uneven roads etc.). Local roads aren't brilliant (as we all know) & the front end would dive when going over humps on the road & you could especially feel the rear end of the car do something different on a tight bend or roundabout I dread to think now what I would think if I drove it as as per collection Feb'16

In all honesty I will hold my hands up & say without Lorcan's ACS springs offer I would have left the car on just the ACS springs, that would have been my bad - knowing it still wasn't great. It was another sizeable outlay after the springs but after driving home early p.m. with the ACS dampers installed & taking the scenic route down the local lanes the car was truly superb T'is what it should have been like from the beginning!

I know there are some of the long-term guys on here who are experts on most sports suspension manufacturers & I read all their previous threads but I feel AC Schnitzer suspension is one of the few offerings on the market that the layman can understand (especially with access to Lorcan). The handling is again massively improved and the car feels less floaty. It would be interesting to try a normal 340i M-sport with OEM suspension just to compare against my ACS springs & dampers set-up.

John Glover (Awesome GTI, Irlam) is the man to contact if you live in the Manchester area. Recommended by Lorcan last year & I've also used them for a couple of other jobs since. Very professional & great set-up if you just want to wait & watch the work being done in the viewing area (or watch Jeremy Kyle on their big screen TV) Cheers
Nice review, thanks for sharing your experience. I'd been looking for reviews from someone having it done on a 40i rather than 35d so cheers!
I've been thinking about whether to go down this route on my 440i. I'm on non adaptive m sport suspension and experienced the floating sensation for the first time a few weeks ago when pushing on through a sequence of corners. It was quite unnerving to be honest!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #106
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d Convertible xDrive M Sprt

Before and after.. (msport 435dx passive suspension, with floaty blancmange ride)

after fitting, a firmer, planted m sport style suspension, that should have come with an m sport car and no ore roller skate look! lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RWvjtdHz9CUckckz8

Last edited by madlad2000; 01-26-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
Lorcan3608.00
      01-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #107
Freddie335
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F335d X Drive

Newbie here. Eagerly awaiting to pick up my F31 335d and thought in the meantime I'd make the fairly short journey over to ACS at Rossiters in Dersingham to just discuss potential upgrade options. I must say it was great meeting Lorcan and Chris and just wanted to thank them for their hospitality.

These guys (Lorcan) defiantly know their stuff and i was even fortunate enough to take their mighty 335d Demonstrator out for a spin. Which boasts their full sport suspension system, and performance upgrade; which I must say was very impressive. The suspension was completely composed and not harsh in anyway at all which was quite a surprise to me. Providing complete control and confidence.

I urge anyone even considering any of the ACS upgrades to pop in for a chat with they guys and for a test drive if possible.

Long story short I was completely sold. If my funds weren't so limited after forking out for the car. I would have 100% booked my car in for the full sport suspension. But regretfully for now , I will have to settle for just springs which the dealer is fitting for me prior to collection.
Appreciate 2
Lorcan3608.00
      01-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #108
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Heres me justifying the price of these shocks to myself....

On my 335d E92 I changed the shocks out at 60K. They were totally gone. Two had no resistance and the other 2 very little.

My F30 has 40K on it now and had ACS springs on for a couple of years. I would have thought the shocks will be deteriorating by now. As I am keeping the car for 2 more years I would probably need to replace the shocks anyway. So I might as well do it now and enjoy the ride rather than someone else like what happened with my E92.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:28 AM   #109
Skwirrel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Heres me justifying the price of these shocks to myself....

On my 335d E92 I changed the shocks out at 60K. They were totally gone. Two had no resistance and the other 2 very little.

My F30 has 40K on it now and had ACS springs on for a couple of years. I would have thought the shocks will be deteriorating by now. As I am keeping the car for 2 more years I would probably need to replace the shocks anyway. So I might as well do it now and enjoy the ride rather than someone else like what happened with my E92.

What do you think?
Man maths at its best. Sometimes you should do things for no other reason than you want to.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:29 AM   #110
Freddie335
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F335d X Drive

Do it makes total sense. If your keeping it for 2 more years, upgrading the dampers will make driving even more enjoyable and from all my experiences so far, will take the suspension to the next level.

If honest, I cant really afford it at the moment but I'm finding all excuses to justify the upgrade 🤪
Appreciate 0