F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Advice - insurance for new driver
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Advice - insurance for new driver

Friend of mine getting car for his daughter. It's her first car and she is 21. He has a company car and he is named on his wife's policy.

Daughter is getting a Mini. Any tips on best way to insure?

His plan is for him to be main driver of the Mini and daughter as named driver.

Any advice / experience welcomed on how best to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Advice - insurance for new driver

Not a good idea as the above could be construed as 'fronting'.

Better for policy to be on daughter's name and add a combination of her parents as additional drivers which results in the lowest premium. That way she builds up her no-claims.

Has she just passed her test? If not, was she a named driver on any other vehicles?
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

I agree - this plan is fronting as I understand it and being caught out on insurance fraud can cause of world of pain for many years. Not a good idea.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Not a good idea as the above could be construed as 'fronting'.

Better for policy to be on daughter's name and add a combination of her parents as additional drivers which results in the lowest premium. That way she builds up her no-claims.

Has she just passed her test? If not, was she a named driver on any other vehicles?
Thanks. Good point about her dad fronting.

Don't think she has been on a policy. She has just passed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Friend of mine getting car for his daughter. It's her first car and she is 21. He has a company car and he is named on his wife's policy.

Daughter is getting a Mini. Any tips on best way to insure?

His plan is for him to be main driver of the Mini and daughter as named driver.

Any advice / experience welcomed on how best to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Definitely avoid fronting, as already mentioned.

How about investigating; Multi-car policies. Telematics box.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
As others have stated only way is a policy in her own name. Put parents as named drivers and if possible put her on as a named driver on one of their cars to help build up trust with insurer if all under the same company. To lower costs black box, low annual mileage allowance & get her on an institute of advanced motorists pass plus or equiv. now a days course.
      01-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Black box will bring it down. As she is 21 rather than 17 it shouldn't be horrendous. Minis are generally quite bad choices from a cheap insurance point of view. I would get quotes on a range of cars as they could be vastly different.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

add the car to the wife's policy with the daughter as the main driver, she should also earn her no claims, that is likely to be the cheapest way

HTH
      01-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

In no particular order...

Get a cheap car / one that is cheaper to insure. Some engine sizes with some insurers are a no go. For example, with Aviva you must be over 25 to be insured on a 435d. Even some brands are considered to be more at risk of theft so is a Mini the right way to go?

Job! Title can make all the difference. Listing yourself as a psychologist and not a counsellor attracts a higher premium. There is more information online.

E-mail address. As above the industry is somewhat unregulated so a gmail account attracts a slightly higher premium.

Level of cover. If she works in a village shop and her commute is a 1 mile round trip then does she need an 8000 mile a year allowance. If the Mini is worth less than 3k is comprehensive worth it? Or will third party, fire and, theft with legal cover be enough? If she takes the train to London and walks to the train station does she need commuting on her cover or just social and domestic?

Breakdown cover. Might be cheaper to have this separate.

Bonus acceleration scheme. Admiral offer a scheme where they issue the NCB every 10 months if no claims have been made. This can sometimes save a few hundred.

Aviva Drive App. The higher you score the more you save. I knocked off £300 with my score on my renewal.

Black Box / Telematics.

Where is the car parked? Driveway and garage are cheaper than road.

Try some of the not so advertised on TV brands. Companies with huge marketing campaigns have to make that money back some how. Try a broker if you must.

Does she travel? Aviva offered to knock a few per cent off if purchasing things like travel insurance and even home insurance.

Pass plus. Back in the days. Pass plus shaved £120 off my premium.

Consider adding the Mini to a multi-car policy.

Play them off! Get companies to compete with quotes to see who can match or beat a quote. Beware some companies own many sub-companies so there is little point talking to Bell insurance who are part of the Admiral group.

Try supermarkets! Not as widely advertised but Tesco may have something to offer. Every little helps or whatever their slogan is.

Does the vehicle have an alarm or other security? Even a Thatcham approved immobiliser can knock a bit off.

Avoid a car with modifications. A standard Mini is cheaper than a JCW retrofit pack.

Cast the bet wider as said. Does it have to be a Mini. What about a Fiesta? Are any of these possibilities:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/gui...vers-to-insure

That's it out of ideas.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-17-2019, 03:23 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Lots of good advice. Having been here with both of mine, I would say that a Mini is not a great choice as first car - unless it is a One. Quite pricey to insure. Having said that avoiding traditional cars of the young is an idea as the history for those cars can be bad.

Add parents. Look at every option. Dont buy a car until insurance sorted. Get something old, the chances are she will scrape it / crash it / not look after it. Does she actually need one, could she be a named driver on mums policy - unlikely company car insurance will cover her but check it out - my last company did, so taking car and effectively giving it kids to share was cheaper than buying one and running it for them!

At one stage I was paying £2500 a year for a 1.4 Corsa for daughter aged 19 and son who had just passed and had a prang aged 18....
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

5 years ago, daughter passed her test at 22 and bought a Mini Cooper. From memory, the insurance was about £1300, but even the most basic Pug 106 was something like £1000 at the time. Just follow the advice of the previous poster, and maybe add a few £100's for the pleasure of a better car.

After a couple of years you are looking at reasonable premiums, so you know you will take a hit in the pocket at first.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
5 years ago, daughter passed her test at 22 and bought a Mini Cooper. From memory, the insurance was about £1300, but even the most basic Pug 106 was something like £1000 at the time. Just follow the advice of the previous poster, and maybe add a few £100's for the pleasure of a better car.

After a couple of years you are looking at reasonable premiums, so you know you will take a hit in the pocket at first.
There are some deals (Peugeot just add fuel?) where insurance is included if you are of a certain age and passed your test for so long - they might be worth looking at..?

Edited to add - 1000 down and 343 a month for a 3 year agreement including insurance each year, car tax, warranty, recovery and servicing....for a 108
Appreciate 0