F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Changing just one primacy mxm4 Xdrive
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Mantup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Changing just one primacy mxm4 Xdrive

So when I bought the car 1.5 years ago carmax had put 2 new front mxm4's on and I think the rears were still factory. I have 38k on her now and the fronts are still good but I have one of my rears losing air over 2-3 days I'll get a alert for low tire on that one tire. The other rear tire isnt at the tread bar yet. Will it hurt the car since its Xdrive to replace only the problem tire? I honestly am in a financial bind atm and can prob only afford to do that for now, I just dont want to hurt the car / diff/ transfer ect.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantup View Post
So when I bought the car 1.5 years ago carmax had put 2 new front mxm4's on and I think the rears were still factory. I have 38k on her now and the fronts are still good but I have one of my rears losing air over 2-3 days I'll get a alert for low tire on that one tire. The other rear tire isnt at the tread bar yet. Will it hurt the car since its Xdrive to replace only the problem tire? I honestly am in a financial bind atm and can prob only afford to do that for now, I just dont want to hurt the car / diff/ transfer ect.
you need to change all 4 ideally so they all match. What you can do is have the tire shop shave some of the tread off the new tire to match the tread left on the old one, obviously its a waste to do this, so might aswell at least get 2 new ones and hope the remaining 2 are close enough in tread remaining that there will not be a huge diameter difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Honestly, I would replace all 4 and save the two fronts as spares.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
How tied are you to the Primacy tires?
You could probably get two other name brand gt tires for a little more than one Michelin. Then replace the front when those are due.

If you’re really hurting financially, do you have a discount tire in your area? And decent credit? Find a sale and a 12 months no interest thing and replace all four.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:24 AM   #5
NoobCola
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N20

You should replace all 4 with xdrive to prevent damage to the transfer case. Have you tried going to discount tires to see if they can plug your leak? They do that for free. I was losing air fast in one of my tires about a month ago, dropped to 19 psi over night. They patched the tire and it's been fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Mantup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Ugh If I would have known about this when shopping I'd have skipped the Xdrive. But live and learn. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. Deff no way I'm putting 4 new tires on right now, I can't even swing 2 new mxm4s on this check. I put air it it yesterday and so far its held, if I can limp by until I can save for 2 I will.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
NoobCola
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N20

Quote:
Ugh If I would have known about this when shopping I'd have skipped the Xdrive. But live and learn. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. Deff no way I'm putting 4 new tires on right now, I can't even swing 2 new mxm4s on this check. I put air it it yesterday and so far its held, if I can limp by until I can save for 2 I will.
Have you tried a tire shop to see if they can patch it? Unless the leak is on one of the sidewalls of the tire they should be able to fix it for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Pick up an electronic air pump at walmart for 15$ (i think thats what it cost), everytime you need air just plug it into the cig lighter and pump the tire back up, do this whenever you need it until you can get it repaired\replaced.
Appreciate 1
thug10820.50