F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > How to reset oil service / brake pad service indicator
proTUNING Freaks

05-19-2022, 01:19 AM   #23
chalojak
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330D

Hey guys, I was facing the same problem as I was not able to reset the interval in the menu, neither by resetting the ECU in ISTA.
I realized that new brake pad wear sensors are not only mechanical (wear through) but as well electrical. They have a resistor inside that deteriorates with each time you brake and the ECU estimates the wear by calculation as well.
Therefore, I needed to replace the wear sensor by a new one, which allowed me to reset the interval by a standard menu on the dashboard afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The pad sensor is purely electrical. It's a simple wire loop that constantly carries current. When the end of the sensor is worn away current cannot flow and the warning is tripped. That wearing away of the end of the sensor is permanent, so once that happens the sensor must be replaced. The ECU mileage remaining figure is a pure guess. The car has no way of knowing how much pad thickness remains. For this reason physical examination of all eight pads on a regular basis is a must.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:11 PM   #25
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The pad sensor is purely electrical. It's a simple wire loop that constantly carries current. When the end of the sensor is worn away current cannot flow and the warning is tripped. That wearing away of the end of the sensor is permanent, so once that happens the sensor must be replaced. The ECU mileage remaining figure is a pure guess. The car has no way of knowing how much pad thickness remains. For this reason physical examination of all eight pads on a regular basis is a must.
My rear brake pads are more than the required amount, but the mileage on the counter is way off. says 1000 miles, I know I have more than that available. Going to reset the counter, and wait for the sensor to trip, just like on my old BMWs. (Even then you still had a fair amount of time left.