F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Finally starting with power modifications! Help me!
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep
Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i

Finally starting with power modifications! Help me!

Hey all, it's approaching the time where I'm able to afford all of the things I'm going to need to start adding horsepower to my 2013 F30 335i.

I'll be doing everything over time because money so help me out here:
I was thinking of starting with an Injen Intake, ER Chargepipe, and the JB4.

With the chargepipe, I saw an option to add an extra pipe between the turbo and the intercooler. Being a complete noob, idk wth it's talking about so if someone could educate me in this type of stuff I'd be very grateful
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Wouldn't bother with the intake personally, but if you're going to run a JB4 on Map 2, it's highly recommended to upgrade your CP (charge pipe) and FMIC (front mounted intercooler). You may wish to throw in a new downpipe and exhaust too.

Have fun and enjoy!
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
Lancelot567.50
      07-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Hey all, it's approaching the time where I'm able to afford all of the things I'm going to need to start adding horsepower to my 2013 F30 335i.

I'll be doing everything over time because money so help me out here:
I was thinking of starting with an Injen Intake, ER Chargepipe, and the JB4.

With the chargepipe, I saw an option to add an extra pipe between the turbo and the intercooler. Being a complete noob, idk wth it's talking about so if someone could educate me in this type of stuff I'd be very grateful
The question I always need to ask is if you're able to afford an out of warranty/out of pocket engine replacement ...
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      07-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Well to be fair the OP didn't state his/her budget and replacing the entire engine is hella $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Skip the intake and get a downpipe
      07-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

On my 2013 335xi I started with a CAI, CP and JB4, then I added a catless DP a couple of weeks later and now finally an FMIC about 3 weeks ago.

When you remove the CP you'll see why you should change it running with increased boost, cheap ass plastic, kind of ridiculous they used that. You don't really need a TIC upgrade unless you upgrade the turbo, that's when I will do mine.

With the CAI I added the turbo is really loud, I love the sound I get from it.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I like the AFE intake better. I have been running that with no CEL's the injen has had a few reports of CEL and low load stumbling over the years.

i have their open intake with the dry filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

I have a 2014 435i Xdrive, have been running a CTS Turbo CAI for a couple months great sound and no CEL! I'am thinking of doing the Fabspeed hi flow cat DP as well as the ER Charge pipe + boost pipe. I want to do a FMIC as well not sure whether to go for the ER, Wagner or Active Autowerke. As far as Exhaust I'm Thinking of either Dinan or Agency Power just not sure if it will fit the Xdrive models, I emailed them and they said they do not know as they have not fit tested they're exhaust system on any xdrive vehicles. Then finally a JB4 !
Appreciate 3
      07-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Do charge pipe and JB4 first. Set it map1. If budge allows, add FMIC so power is more consistent up top.

If you want more, install a downpipe, catless if you can deal with smell, and use map2.
      07-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Intake won't gain any power. Go FMIC, downpipe and Bootmod3 flash.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
dthahn
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

I am reading that several of you have recommended a FMIC. I live in California and the FMICs I have looked at state that they are illegal in California. Would this upgrade be discovered during a smog test or something and then I would be forced to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthahn View Post
I am reading that several of you have recommended a FMIC. I live in California and the FMICs I have looked at state that they are illegal in California. Would this upgrade be discovered during a smog test or something and then I would be forced to replace it?
Most aftermarket parts are not Carb legal, so technically they are illegal to be used in CA.

If you are worried about that, look into getting Dinan parts. We offer Dinan tunes, intakes, intercooler and exhaust.

In terms of power, tune, Downpipe, intercooler, meth injection and upgraded turbos are the most important mods.

Charge pipe is recommended to be replaced because the stock plastic pipe is prone to failure. Once you have all these mods a high flow air intake will provide another 5-10 whp on high RPM

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
I have a 2014 435i Xdrive, have been running a CTS Turbo CAI for a couple months great sound and no CEL! I'am thinking of doing the Fabspeed hi flow cat DP as well as the ER Charge pipe + boost pipe. I want to do a FMIC as well not sure whether to go for the ER, Wagner or Active Autowerke. As far as Exhaust I'm Thinking of either Dinan or Agency Power just not sure if it will fit the Xdrive models, I emailed them and they said they do not know as they have not fit tested they're exhaust system on any xdrive vehicles. Then finally a JB4 !
I went with the Agency Power exhaust and couldn't be happier. I spent countless hours listening to exhaust clips on youtube and just couldn't find one I was 100% happy with, until I came across the Agency Power sound clips. The fitment however was like it wasn't fastened down in the fixture properly before they welded it. I also got it from an eBay vendor quite a bit cheaper, so maybe it was one that didn't meet the companies quality standards to sell it direct. After taking it to a custom shop though its straight now, looks and sounds absolutely Amazing. I also went with the ER set up, TIC,CP and FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthahn View Post
On the contrary, we've found many vendors saying FMIC are legal in CA.

FMIC is a fairly easy thing to install and uninstall, if you are worried you could always swap back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep

Thank you all for the replies. I know I'm a little late here but I've gained some considerable amount of knowledge from here and there.

Here's my updated vision:
I want more power, but I'm starting out slow.
The bootmod3 tune is very enticing, however I'm concerned about not having the ability to switch back to a "Cali Legal" tune with the flip of a switch or simply unplugging a piggyback. That's where I like the JB4 more. It's hard to choose which one I want
I'm looking for decent power gains and the ability to have big pops and bangs when I let off the throttle. You guys tell me what you think!

I just looked at the CTS intake, and I think that'll be my choice when I make it to that point. Thank you guys for letting me figure that out.

With the tune, I'm going to pair it with probably a VRSF chargepipe. I like it because it's more affordable than the ER one, but if there's something much better mechanically or quality wise about it, let me know!

Downpipe is coming soon after that. Again VRSF vs ER. Any other recommendations are welcome.

And lastly, I know nothing about FMIC's
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
TR-8R
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 13' 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. I know I'm a little late here but I've gained some considerable amount of knowledge from here and there.

The bootmod3 tune is very enticing, however I'm concerned about not having the ability to switch back to a "Cali Legal" tune with the flip of a switch or simply unplugging a piggyback. That's where I like the JB4 more. It's hard to choose which one I want
I'm looking for decent power gains and the ability to have big pops and bangs when I let off the throttle. You guys tell me what you think!

I just looked at the CTS intake, and I think that'll be my choice when I make it to that point. Thank you guys for letting me figure that out.

With the tune, I'm going to pair it with probably a VRSF chargepipe. I like it because it's more affordable than the ER one, but if there's something much better mechanically or quality wise about it, let me know!

Downpipe is coming soon after that. Again VRSF vs ER. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Cts Turbo has a great Intake/ FMIC. They're almost finished developing there chargepipe, and downpipe. In the works to test fitting them on my car.

I've ran their intake and front mount intercooler for over a year and a half with no tune and I had zero issues or dealer mentions.
      08-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #17
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-8R View Post
Cts Turbo has a great Intake/ FMIC. They're almost finished developing there chargepipe, and downpipe. In the works to test fitting them on my car.

I've ran their intake and front mount intercooler for over a year and a half with no tune and I had zero issues or dealer mentions.
Wow! Thank you for the information.
Any ETA on the release of their chargepipe and downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Bootmod3, all you have to do is reflash back to stock and you're fine. Takes around 2-3 minutes and it's a hell of alot faster than unplugging the JB4. No more billions of wires in the engine bay as well.

I use ER because the finish and quality of their products is top knotch.
      08-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #19
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Bootmod3, all you have to do is reflash back to stock and you're fine. Takes around 2-3 minutes and it's a hell of alot faster than unplugging the JB4. No more billions of wires in the engine bay as well.

Thank you! I've recently switched my mind to saving up for the Bootmod3 because of the wonderful things I've heard about it. I'll be making a new thread talking about everything I'm installing when the time comes.

Do you think I should save more for the ER parts? Or is going VRSF still a good option for where I'm at?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #20
TR-8R
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 13' 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! Thank you for the information.
Any ETA on the release of their chargepipe and downpipe?
I've seen pictures of finished products as well as in person but no clue on release. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the end of this month but who knows. They're so busy with Audi and VW development.
      08-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

We can help you get in the right direction.

VRSF is a popular option because of it's price point. However, ER offers hand polished and anodized finishes, which some people prefer.

Any other questions, we are an email away.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Intake won't gain any power. Go FMIC, downpipe and Bootmod3 flash.
+1

Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

+1

OP, I am a fan of the CTS Turbo fmic as well and their Intake has great reviews no CEL as if it was a Dinan one but less $$
Anyhow, save your money like many have said and use it for FMIC+DP+CP+ Bootmod3

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0