F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Changing oil in ZF gearbox - Static or Dynamic?
proTUNING Freaks

05-31-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
Johny212
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Changing oil in ZF gearbox - Static or Dynamic?

Hi there,

What are your experiences with changing the oil?

It is better to change it static ( normal draining the oil & filter replacement with new oil) + new adaptation - around 70% oil is changed

Or the dynamic method - connect the machine to hot gearbox, lubrication system is cleaned with cleaning agents (added to the old fluid). Then push the used fluid out with the pump while introducing a new one.
&Replacement filter + new adaptation - 100% oil is changed
-around 2 bar by machine

There are many opinions - dynamic method of replacement is bad coz of mechatronic in gearbox...bla bla
I know 3 people for now who changed oil in Exx gearbox with over 130k miles and the gearbox is working better - the gearbox dragging gears, sometimes was jerking while changing gear ( I know its not ZF)

I am still thinking which method of changing to choose in my ZF 8HP50

I've got 95k km for now, ~60k miles
Especially on cold engine I noticed the gearbox dragging gears, even on hot sometimes. Also sometimes you feel a gentle tug when changing gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

I would go with the manufacturer recommendation for the specific gear-box.
https://aftermarket.zf.com/us/en/aft...on-oil-change/
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

No need to go to all that complication. Just drop the mechatronic and 95% of the fluid will come out. While you have it dropped replace the tube and bridge seals.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
ashenfie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Auto 320d

I think as above stick to static method. The Dynamic method would dislodge dirt/metal and brake the box.

I have changed oil in a ZF box and it's relatively straight forward and need follow very carefully.
Appreciate 0