F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW Brake Torque Specifications
proTUNING Freaks

11-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive

BMW Brake Torque Specifications

Hi,

I own a 2016 435i xDrive and am looking to replace the brake discs. If you have a service manual for the F32, and willing to lend me the values for job, please let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mportd.f32 View Post
Hi,

I own a 2016 435i xDrive and am looking to replace the brake discs. If you have a service manual for the F32, and willing to lend me the values for job, please let me know.

Thanks!
Attached are brake torque specs for F3x.

I highly recommend upgrading the four brake rotor hold screws to stainless steel so that they will never rust and seize. Both Turner & ECS sell them for ~$15/set of four.

Also recommend Zimmermann rotors. High quality German rotors better than OEM because they are zinc coated against rust. Very reasonably priced.

Best replacement street pad is Hawk 5.0. Superior in every way to stock pads. More reasonably priced than inferior pads that others taught.

Replace brake fluid every two years for safety. At same time upgrade to StopTech stainless steel brake lines for ~$106/set of four. There are other stainless lines that cost more. Much more solid brake pedal feel.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mgc999115.00
      11-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

great info for us DIY'rs. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
great info for us DIY'rs. Thanks!
Here are some Hawk 5.0 brake pad part numbers that I forgot to attach
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

I highly recommend upgrading the four brake rotor hold screws to stainless steel so that they will never rust and seize. Both Turner & ECS sell them for ~$15/set of four.

Also recommend Zimmermann rotors. High quality German rotors better than OEM because they are zinc coated against rust. Very reasonably priced.

Best replacement street pad is Hawk 5.0. Superior in every way to stock pads. More reasonably priced than inferior pads that others taught.

Replace brake fluid every two years for safety. At same time upgrade to StopTech stainless steel brake lines for ~$106/set of four. There are other stainless lines that cost more. Much more solid brake pedal feel.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the help, but do you mind elaborating on what those terms mean for the first three tightening torques? Sorry but I'm pretty new to working on my own car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the help, but do you mind elaborating on what those terms mean for the first three tightening torques? Sorry but I'm pretty new to working on my own car.
If you are new to this car a great resource would be to buy a Bentley manual for your model. Attached is a photo example of a Bentley manual for 3-Series 2012-2015. There are a bunch of online resources out there too. I'm just used to grabbing a shop manual like a Bentley.

The first line of the torque specs is just the single screw that holds the brake rotor onto the hub. It's the part that I said likes to rust on so replace it with a stainless steel screw.

I'll see if I can find diagrams to illustrate the other two.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mgc999115.00
      11-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
If you are new to this car a great resource would be to buy a Bentley manual for your model. Attached is a photo example of a Bentley manual for 3-Series 2012-2015. There are a bunch of online resources out there too. I'm just used to grabbing a shop manual like a Bentley.

The first line of the torque specs is just the single screw that holds the brake rotor onto the hub. It's the part that I said likes to rust on so replace it with a stainless steel screw.

I'll see if I can find diagrams to illustrate the other two.
Couldn't find diagrams that I liked. #2 and #3 are torques for the bolts that hold the calipers onto the hubs. It'll be obvious when you get the wheels off and get a good look at it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't find diagrams that I liked. #2 and #3 are torques for the bolts that hold the calipers onto the hubs. It'll be obvious when you get the wheels off and get a good look at it.
Currently my car is in for window tints and will be back tomorrow. Once I get it back I will be able to look at it and see. I also know there is a service manual for my car I'm trying to save the $120, though. And thank you for all the help,

- Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Currently my car is in for window tints and will be back tomorrow. Once I get it back I will be able to look at it and see. I also know there is a service manual for my car I'm trying to save the $120, though. And thank you for all the help,

- Mike
The prices of the shop manuals has gotten high. Keep an eye on the Black Friday sales coming up. A while back I spotted my Bentley manual on sale for 1/2 off somewhere and bought it immediately
Appreciate 1
mgc999115.00
      11-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The prices of the shop manuals has gotten high. Keep an eye on the Black Friday sales coming up. A while back I spotted my Bentley manual on sale for 1/2 off somewhere and bought it immediately
Do you ever stop helping me? Lmao thanks so much
Appreciate 0