F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2016 F32 435i 8A Transmission noises
Extreme Powerhouse

01-03-2021, 02:42 AM   #1
antzonthe1
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Exclamation 2016 F32 435i 8A Transmission noises

Hello all first post here thanks for any input ����
I got this car with 82k miles I’ve put 11k miles on it in 15 months. 1 oil change about 8k miles ago getting it done real soon. Don’t drive it much but started noticing a grinding/ clicking noise coming from the middle section between the back and front seat when I give maybe 70-80%+ throttle and it’s very noticeable. It still pulls normal and is quick and still shifts perfectly. Feels rougher with paddles and silky smooth in comfort mode. Basically it drives well and normal but has been making this noise for a while now maybe I caused it by launching it or something. I have driven it hardish some times but not sure why this noise started happening and I can’t find any other forums on the car or transmission with a similar problem or any YouTube videos either. Wanted to go stage 2+ but maybe not now because I don’t want to have tranny issue bills. May just trade in before it becomes an issue (if it isn’t already) a dodge dealership offered me 14k ��
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

It could just be the handbrake cable hitting the drive shaft which a lot of people have experienced. Look up threads/videos and compare the noise.
Is it throwing any codes? I would expect there to be a code if you were getting grinding in the transmission and the fact that it drives and shifts fine without going into limp also points to an issue that is not transmission related
      01-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
njdangelo is right. The handbrake cable thing was seen quite a few time:

Btw "Feels rougher with paddles and silky smooth in comfort mode", this is absolutely normal
      01-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
antzonthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
It could just be the handbrake cable hitting the drive shaft which a lot of people have experienced. Look up threads/videos and compare the noise.
Is it throwing any codes? I would expect there to be a code if you were getting grinding in the transmission and the fact that it drives and shifts fine without going into limp also points to an issue that is not transmission related
This seems to be the noise I’m hearing from the forums I’ve searched. I’m really glad it’s not the transmission. No codes or anything. Can’t believe nothing would show up when id search it up maybe I was being too specific or not enough. Once I typed in the ecable with driveshaft everything was there lol. THANK YOU I feel a lot better. Maybe I can fix it myself or fork out the cash which hopefully isn’t more than like 600. Haven’t seen anything yet on life of driveshaft or problems after repair so hopefully it isn’t anything more serious than a design issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzonthe1 View Post
Hello all first post here thanks for any input ����
I got this car with 82k miles I've put 11k miles on it in 15 months. 1 oil change about 8k miles ago getting it done real soon. Don't drive it much but started noticing a grinding/ clicking noise coming from the middle section between the back and front seat when I give maybe 70-80%+ throttle and it's very noticeable. It still pulls normal and is quick and still shifts perfectly. Feels rougher with paddles and silky smooth in comfort mode. Basically it drives well and normal but has been making this noise for a while now maybe I caused it by launching it or something. I have driven it hardish some times but not sure why this noise started happening and I can't find any other forums on the car or transmission with a similar problem or any YouTube videos either. Wanted to go stage 2+ but maybe not now because I don't want to have tranny issue bills. May just trade in before it becomes an issue (if it isn't already) a dodge dealership offered me 14k ��
Glad that you isolated it. At over 90k miles you are really overdue for the automatic transmission service which ZF, the automatic transmission manufacturer, recommends at 60k miles. Many mechanics say not to do it at all over 100k miles because it's too gunked up by then and will have problems with new thinner fluid.

Ignore BMW claims that it is a "lifetime" fluid. "Lifetime" for BMW means that it is out of warranty and they are no longer on the hook.

ZF makes the kit with fluid, transmission pan, built in filter and new bolts. A special procedure must be followed to assure that it is not underfilled. FCP Euro sells the ZF Kit. See photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
antzonthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Glad that you isolated it. At over 90k miles you are really overdue for the automatic transmission service which ZF, the automatic transmission manufacturer, recommends at 60k miles. Many mechanics say not to do it at all over 100k miles because it's too gunked up by then and will have problems with new thinner fluid.

Ignore BMW claims that it is a "lifetime" fluid. "Lifetime" for BMW means that it is out of warranty and they are no longer on the hook.

ZF makes the kit with fluid, transmission pan, built in filter and new bolts. A special procedure must be followed to assure that it is not underfilled. FCP Euro sells the ZF Kit. See photo.
It was a lease that got driven quite a bit in its first 3 years. Then 1 or two owners after that for the remaining maybe 10-15k miles before it got to me. If I remember correctly from the car fax. I’m HOPING that most or all of the maintenance was done before it got to me. I feel that it runs to perfectly to not have had the proper things done but I don’t know I’m no mechanic and it’s my first bmw. I had a paper of the maintenance but can’t find it or remember what was on it. My fault. My biggest worry would be the turbos needing replaced since I’ve heard those need to be much before 100k hits on turbo cars but again I don’t know. When I’m down there would there be any way to know if it’s been done or can I even go by how the car feels? Any symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

It was a lease that got driven quite a bit in its first 3 years. Then 1 or two owners after that for the remaining maybe 10-15k miles before it got to me. If I remember correctly from the car fax. I’m HOPING that most or all of the maintenance was done before it got to me. I feel that it runs to perfectly to not have had the proper things done but I don’t know I’m no mechanic and it’s my first bmw. I had a paper of the maintenance but can’t find it or remember what was on it. My fault. My biggest worry would be the turbos needing replaced since I’ve heard those need to be much before 100k hits on turbo cars but again I don’t know. When I’m down there would there be any way to know if it’s been done or can I even go by how the car feels? Any symptoms?
IMO there would be little chance that anyone did the automatic transmission service on your car. All dealers and many independent mechanics who were BMW trained just repeat that BMW mantra that fluids are "lifetime" with the assumption that it's some sort of engineering decision, instead of a money decision. It's not an inexpensive service so unlikely someone would do it who didn't expect to keep the car long term.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 04:54 AM   #8
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
This seems to be the noise I’m hearing from the forums I’ve searched. I’m really glad it’s not the transmission. No codes or anything. Can’t believe nothing would show up when id search it up maybe I was being too specific or not enough. Once I typed in the ecable with driveshaft everything was there lol. THANK YOU I feel a lot better. Maybe I can fix it myself or fork out the cash which hopefully isn’t more than like 600. Haven’t seen anything yet on life of driveshaft or problems after repair so hopefully it isn’t anything more serious than a design issue.
Glad I could help!
      01-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #9
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Found the other thread
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1568289
      01-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
antzonthe1
Rep

Not sure if you all will get a notification for this but your help was very much appreciated. In the end, so far, I’ve fixed the solution without any wrenching. Actually just used zip ties 🤣 didn’t get a picture but it’s as goofy as you think it looks. Took it on a test drive and the sound is GONE. The other thread showed the brake line off of the retainer and that’s exactly what I saw, I don’t have all the tools in the world and only had the rear end up, saw how much work it was going to be so I went with the quick fix. It is just plastic that was broken after all. Hopefully the zip ties don’t melt near the exhaust lol. Clipped them off to keep some distance. Used about 8 after doubling up on them so they wouldn’t snap. I have no idea how I would be able to get the bolt on the retainer itself so I went with this, maybe it would look a lot clearer if the whole car was fairly high off with the ground with thegas tank lowered, but that shit looked impossible (for me to do quickly ish) that damn driveshaft looks right up against it, you’d need a skinny or small ratchet with a (I don’t even know my tool terminology) tiny not deep at all 10mm socket I believe it was. The other forum is linked in a reply above with the steps. Jacked the car up and down twice (because i got the wrong zip ties the first time, need ~foot long ones ) and noticed a new sound lmfao hopefully just a Beamer thing
Appreciate 0