F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > For those considering ordering a PURE turbo
Studio RSR

11-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
1slowb58
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 3

For those considering ordering a PURE turbo

I've paid in June, it is now nearing the end of November and still no turbo. Every month it's a different excuse. Just a heads up for anyone else considering going down this path, there are other turbos in stock elsewhere that you can get right away.
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      11-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

For some reason ( i know there are shortages everywhere) Turbo's are on back order even for dealerships to get... I have four turbo's on order for customers at my dealer and two are from June. I don't really understand why, it's out of hand... also, not sure why other suppliers are able to still do business, it's interesting to say the least.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

It depends on where and what the manufacturing graph is for that product. Where are all the separate parts manufactured and sourced. US ports are backed up on top of that so everything is delayed to the shelves.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
It depends on where and what the manufacturing graph is for that product. Where are all the separate parts manufactured and sourced. US ports are backed up on top of that so everything is delayed to the shelves.
Agreed, it's just interesting to me how the turbo market has been so specifically impacted...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
Quote:
Agreed, it's just interesting to me how the turbo market has been so specifically impacted...
Yeah unfortunate for those looking to purchase. You'd be surprised how much of our alloy imports are from overseas, and how many turbo companies outsource housing manufacturing.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

BigBoost told me there's no ETA on BorgWarner EFR turbos, which means the Doc Race kits would be back ordered as well. Lots of supply chain constraints right now. It took 2.5 months for my eccentric shaft (probably came from Germany) to come in and that was during the whole Suez Canal incident. It is what it is right now.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:13 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Due to global chip shortage.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
Quote:
It could be as simple as a shortage of one tiny part that is common to most turbos. The global competitive economy has reduced competition on many items and created a dependency on getting them from the other side of the world with a smooth running supply chain.

Last year Covid exposed a couple of surprising issues with very simple products. Remember those Q-tips on a long stick needed to shove up noses for testing. Turned out that the only place in the world that can make them in quantity is a factory in Italy. So they actually had to airlift long Q-tips from Italy to US. Sounds crazy but that's what intense global competition and global supply chain can cause.

N95 medical masks are another example. Before Covid, 3M was making big profits selling them in bulk to US hospitals at under 75 cents each. N95 masks are considered disposable items. The US probably used millions per day before Covid. But 3M's factories were all located in China so the global supply chain and Covid demand caused a huge shortage.

Covid began almost 2 years ago. Our federal government could have invoked the Defense Production Act (like it did to make ventilators in the US) to make N95 masks in the US. N95 masks are the best at protecting the wearer against airborne illness, and they are incredibly inexpensive too!

So 2 years later why aren't US factories making hundreds of millions of N95 masks? Why aren't they available everywhere being handed out for free or at most for 50 cents a piece? The US is still reliant on factories located in China to make N95 masks for us, and they aren't widely available for free or cheaply to all Americans. Why?

The answer is quite simple: money and greed! While our government was invoking the Defense Production Act in other industries to make essential items in the US, 3M lobbied hard against it for N95 masks. They lobbied politicians and our two latest Presidents on both sides of the aisle, so the DPA was never invoked on 3M.

The DPA is used to cut through red tape to build or convert local factories as fast as possible to make essential products in the US. The companies who do this are rewarded handsomely with all the money that they need to accomplish this and they have a guaranteed order and a guaranteed profit from the US government. These companies can't lose money for their efforts!

But 3M was/is totally against invoking the DPA for N95 masks for two key reasons.

1) The DPA contains a clause preventing companies from price gouging. During Covid 3M was making a fortune by price gouging. According to hospitals that buy them in bulk, N95 mask street prices had gone from under $1 to as much as $20. 3M wanted to keep their factories in China making N95 masks as fast as possible and selling them for as much as possible.

2) 3M had already captured a huge part of the N95 market with their China factories using the global supply chain. The last thing that they want is new N95 mask factories existing in the US after Covid issues are over.

If the DPA had been invoked and all Americans had the highest quality N95 masks to wear for the past year or more, thousands of lives may have been saved. Big corporate greed and Federal politician greed kept that from happening!
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep

Well i think we can all agree, they won't invoke the DPA for a part or all of a turbo...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
540iSUP703.00
      11-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
It could be as simple as a shortage of one tiny part that is common to most turbos. The global competitive economy has reduced competition on many items and created a dependency on getting them from the other side of the world with a smooth running supply chain.

Last year Covid exposed a couple of surprising issues with very simple products. Remember those Q-tips on a long stick needed to shove up noses for testing. Turned out that the only place in the world that can make them in quantity is a factory in Italy. So they actually had to airlift long Q-tips from Italy to US. Sounds crazy but that's what intense global competition and global supply chain can cause.

N95 medical masks are another example. Before Covid, 3M was making big profits selling them in bulk to US hospitals at under 75 cents each. N95 masks are considered disposable items. The US probably used millions per day before Covid. But 3M's factories were all located in China so the global supply chain and Covid demand caused a huge shortage.

Covid began almost 2 years ago. Our federal government could have invoked the Defense Production Act (like it did to make ventilators in the US) to make N95 masks in the US. N95 masks are the best at protecting the wearer against airborne illness, and they are incredibly inexpensive too!

So 2 years later why aren't US factories making hundreds of millions of N95 masks? Why aren't they available everywhere being handed out for free or at most for 50 cents a piece? The US is still reliant on factories located in China to make N95 masks for us, and they aren't widely available for free or cheaply to all Americans. Why?

The answer is quite simple: money and greed! While our government was invoking the Defense Production Act in other industries to make essential items in the US, 3M lobbied hard against it for N95 masks. They lobbied politicians and our two latest Presidents on both sides of the aisle, so the DPA was never invoked on 3M.

The DPA is used to cut through red tape to build or convert local factories as fast as possible to make essential products in the US. The companies who do this are rewarded handsomely with all the money that they need to accomplish this and they have a guaranteed order and a guaranteed profit from the US government. These companies can't lose money for their efforts!

But 3M was/is totally against invoking the DPA for N95 masks for two key reasons.

1) The DPA contains a clause preventing companies from price gouging. During Covid 3M was making a fortune by price gouging. According to hospitals that buy them in bulk, N95 mask street prices had gone from under $1 to as much as $20. 3M wanted to keep their factories in China making N95 masks as fast as possible and selling them for as much as possible.

2) 3M had already captured a huge part of the N95 market with their China factories using the global supply chain. The last thing that they want is new N95 mask factories existing in the US after Covid issues are over.

If the DPA had been invoked and all Americans had the highest quality N95 masks to wear for the past year or more, thousands of lives may have been saved. Big corporate greed and Federal politician greed kept that from happening!
man we fucked
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      11-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
1slowb58
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
BigBoost told me there's no ETA on BorgWarner EFR turbos, which means the Doc Race kits would be back ordered as well. Lots of supply chain constraints right now. It took 2.5 months for my eccentric shaft (probably came from Germany) to come in and that was during the whole Suez Canal incident. It is what it is right now.
They had the exact EFR turbo I wanted in stock when I started this process, the level of regret is immeasurable. Stock snail for every track event this year on an otherwise FBO car. I would have at least custom tuned if I knew the wait was this long.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

i was thinking of a turbo upgrade for black friday and now im stuck with DAW, VT GC, or one from europe such as turbosystems which shipping and the value of the US dollar almost makes it too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:12 AM   #13
Glemm1970
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140IX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
i was thinking of a turbo upgrade for black friday and now im stuck with DAW, VT GC, or one from europe such as turbosystems which shipping and the value of the US dollar almost makes it too expensive.
GC - Top!
      11-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #14
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

Geez, I've been waiting 100 days, and I thought that was bad. At what point are we allowed to just cancel the order? I get that there are major supply chain issues right now, and that's not Pure's fault. So just have a page that shows that on the site to explain delays. Update customers and just let them know it's taking a lot longer than expected. Communication is key.

Stinks to pay 4k+ for at turbo since I can't send in my old cores...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #15
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
Geez, I've been waiting 100 days, and I thought that was bad. At what point are we allowed to just cancel the order? I get that there are major supply chain issues right now, and that's not Pure's fault. So just have a page that shows that on the site to explain delays. Update customers and just let them know it's taking a lot longer than expected. Communication is key.

Stinks to pay 4k+ for at turbo since I can't send in my old cores...
This is literally the only reason I'm going to go with VTT.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
This is literally the only reason I'm going to go with VTT.
Personally, I still would not go to other brands if there is even a hint of issues. I would call local shops to see what their experiences are.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #17
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
Personally, I still would not go to other brands if there is even a hint of issues. I would call local shops to see what their experiences are.
If you guys are waiting 6 months now, imagine how long Id have to wait after the black friday rush of orders lol....
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00