F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Mineral Grey 330e
GetBMWParts

08-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #23
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Just a test fit for now but after the fourth attempt I managed to get a spoiler that fits and isn't of terrible quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #24
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Great looking car

One suggestion: I would swap the stock base shifter for the 2TB Sport Auto Version. I recently did this and love the way it looks and feels. You can find them pretty cheap if you buy used on ebay or visit your local wrecking yard. Not sure if it's different on the 330e because of the edrive button, but on all other versions there's no coding or modification needed, It's plug and play.

Appreciate 3
xxDYxx10.50
_baz564.00
jeffm8276.00
      08-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #25
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by _baz View Post
Just a test fit for now but after the fourth attempt I managed to get a spoiler that fits and isn't of terrible quality.
Spoiler looks good!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #26
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
I like the mods ! great looking spoiler but we need more pictures :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #27
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Great looking car

One suggestion: I would swap the stock base shifter for the 2TB Sport Auto Version. I recently did this and love the way it looks and feels. You can find them pretty cheap if you buy used on ebay or visit your local wrecking yard. Not sure if it's different on the 330e because of the edrive button, but on all other versions there's no coding or modification needed, It's plug and play.

Been on the look out on eBay for one in good condition since picking up the car actually. All of the ones I've seen have some scratches or look a little too worn. I assume the e drive button is connected elsewhere and the gear shifter is fine to swap. Only one way to find out
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #28
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonahurry View Post
Quote:
I like the mods ! great looking spoiler but we need more pictures :-)
No fresh pics of the spoiler fitted I'm afraid.

Currently collecting parts for the air install

Had my 4 gallon tank cerakoted satin black

3/8" bulkhead fittings (which were way larger than I thought when looking at pics, I'm used to 1/4" airline though)

BAGS by OCD turned up but I was a little confused that I've been sent the older top mounts instead of the LCI 5 stud but I've been assured that the older one is compatible. Any F30 suspension gurus able to confirm ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
darms55.50
      08-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #29
siknautojas
Rep
Drives: F30

Beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 03:03 AM   #30
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to @AndrewC1989 peer pressure I eventually found a used gearshifter on eBay which should arrive next week. From the looks of it then I'm going to have to give it a proper clean up but only £35 delivered so can't complain. Let's hope it's as plug and play as I think it is

Whilst I'm pulling up all the trim I'll run the data cable for my Airlift controller up to the cup holder area in preparation for mounting it around that area for ease of use.

Last edited by _baz; 09-23-2021 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #31
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to @AndrewC1989 peer pressure I eventually found a used gearshifter on eBay which should arrive next week. From the looks of it then I'm going to have to give it a proper clean up but only £35 delivered so can't complain. Let's hope it's as plug and play as I think it is

Whilst I'm pulling up all the trim I'll run the data cable for my Airlift controller up to the cup holder area in preparation for mounting it around there's
Glad to be of service
      08-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #32
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Whilst I'm pulling up all the trim I'll run the data cable for my Airlift controller up to the cup holder area in preparation for mounting it around there's
Glad to be of service
Thanks,

Gave it a clean up and turned out pretty decent, some scratches on the gear selector insert so ordered a replacement part from good old AliExpress.
Couldn't find any local sellers with the part without an M logo on it and there are already too many unnecessary M badges all over the car as standard I didn't need to add any more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
alpina_user
Poland
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 & F31 320d+

Nice car bro!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 02:42 PM   #34
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Doing some test fitting and mocking up the best way to fit the air tank in the boot. I think right here is going to be the best way to keep most of the practicality and space to carry luggage and parts of my drum kits, furniture and all the other random stuff I need to throw back there.
I know, should have got a Touring, maybe I'll find a 340i wagon to upgrade to next time around

Excuse the mess back there
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #35
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks,

Gave it a clean up and turned out pretty decent, some scratches on the gear selector insert so ordered a replacement part from good old AliExpress.
As long as the leather is okay that's all that matters. You can buy OEM repair kits for these shifters:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...gaAvBkEALw_wcB

The ebay/ali stuff is obviously much cheaper, however I noticed that the little windows showing what gear you are in aren't tinted like the OEM version. Might not bother some folks but I didn't like it. I went OEM for that reason.

Ebay left, OEM right:

Quote:
Couldn't find any local sellers with the part without an M logo on it and there are already too many unnecessary M badges all over the car as standard I didn't need to add any more.
I feel you. My car is US spec and a base model, so I didn't get the M fender badges on the exterior of the car or anywhere else. The only M badge on my car is on the M sport steering wheel I retrofitted. I figured one more on the shift knob wouldn't hurt, especially since I've tuned the car and coded the transmission.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 09-14-2021 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:54 AM   #36
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,

As long as the leather is okay that's all that matters. You can buy OEM repair kits for these shifters:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...gaAvBkEALw_wcB

The ebay/ali stuff is obviously much cheaper, however I noticed that the little windows showing what gear you are in aren't tinted like the OEM version. Might not bother some folks but I didn't like it. I went OEM for that reason.

Ebay left, OEM right:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Quote:
I feel you. My car is US spec however, so we don't get the M fender badges on the exterior of the car or anywhere else. The only M badge on my car is on the M sport steering wheel. I figured one more on the shift knob wouldn't hurt, especially since I've tuned the car and coded the transmission.
Ah yes I see the difference. I'll see how it bothers me when the Chinese one arrives and if it looks too bad then I'll opt for an OEM replacement. Cheers for the link.

Regarding the M badges. Mine had a total of 13 M badges from factory last time I counted

I know I can't afford an F80 but stop reminding me BMW !

I did see that someone painted the aluminium part black on one of these. Now that's something that would look good but I'm not sure how it all disassembles and I'm not that great at masking (or painting for that matter) so I may just leave as is.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #37
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah yes I see the difference. I'll see how it bothers me when the Chinese one arrives and if it looks too bad then I'll opt for an OEM replacement. Cheers for the link.

Regarding the M badges. Mine had a total of 13 M badges from factory last time I counted

I know I can't afford an F80 but stop reminding me BMW !

I did see that someone painted the aluminium part black on one of these. Now that's something that would look good but I'm not sure how it all disassembles and I'm not that great at masking (or painting for that matter) so I may just leave as is.
Wow that's a lot of m badges, lol.

Disassembly of the shift knob is fairly easy. Heat up the gear selector sticker with a hair dryer or heat gun and pry it off from the bottom left corner. It's important though that you don't use any sharp or metal objects to do this as it can cause damage to the silver trim. A sturdy plastic trim removal tool is best. Once it's off you'll have access to a screw that will allow you to remove the silver trim and parking button.

If you don't want to risk painting the trim you could always try wrapping it in film so it's easily reversible if you don't like it:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618265

Or if you want to get really fancy you could buy the OEM ceramic trim:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1472362

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 09-14-2021 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #38
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of m badges. Funny how the same car is so different by region.

Disassembly of the shift knob is fairly easy. Heat up the gear selector sticker with a hair dryer or heat gun and pry it off from the bottom left corner. It's important though that you don't use any sharp or metal objects to do this as it can cause damage to the silver trim. A sturdy plastic trim removal tool is best. Once it's off you'll have access to a screw that will allow you to remove the silver trim and parking button.

If you don't want to risk painting the trim you could always try wrapping it in film so it's easily reversible if you don't like it:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618265

Or if you want to get really fancy you could buy the OEM ceramic trim:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1472362

Thanks for the info, that gloss black looks really good. I tried wrapping my Mini JCW headlight trims before and it sent me insane, ended up ripping it all off after a week as it looked so bad.

I think I'll pull out the old shifter and make sure this one fits and functions correctly before diving too deep into it.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #39
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

The new shifter fits and works properly, but for some reason when putting on the trim, felt like a much tighter fit. There is no lifting anywhere or wires getting squished. Could be because of the leather instead of just the plastic. Also installed Ceramic iDrive controller! Can’t wait to see your upgrades!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #40
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
The new shifter fits and works properly, but for some reason when putting on the trim, felt like a much tighter fit. There is no lifting anywhere or wires getting squished. Could be because of the leather instead of just the plastic. Also installed Ceramic iDrive controller! Can't wait to see your upgrades!
That's great to see another hybrid with the shifter swapped out much more confident now.

Ceramic idrive dial looks dope

My current upgrade is a steering rack under warranty from BMW. Courtesy car is a fully loaded G21 320i and I'm going to feel like such a peasant when I get my F30 back 😂

Love what they have done with the digital display (shame they have wiped it and left marks all over it, but that's BMW dealership valeters for you)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #41
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's great to see another hybrid with the shifter swapped out much more confident now.

My current upgrade is a steering rack under warranty from BMW. Courtesy car is a fully loaded G21 320i and I'm going to feel like such a peasant when I get my F30 back ��

Love what they have done with the digital display (shame they have wiped it and left marks all over it, but that's BMW dealership valeters for you)
Other than the new tech, I really prefer my F30 over the G20. The few times I've driven one as a loaner (330ix) I just remember thinking how soft and unsporty it felt. Maybe the M340 is better but I haven't driven one of those yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #42
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My current upgrade is a steering rack under warranty from BMW. Courtesy car is a fully loaded G21 320i and I'm going to feel like such a peasant when I get my F30 back ��

Other than the new tech, I really prefer my F30 over the G20. The few times I've driven one as a loaner (330ix) I just remember thinking how soft and unsporty it felt. Maybe the M340 is better but I haven't driven one of those yet.
Definitely feels softer and more comfortable. Has 18s with big tyres too which probably has an effect.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #43
_baz
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So the dealer still has the car as they were having trouble updating the Sat Nav. I forgot to program the idrive back to standard after loading Apple Car Play and adding a few BimmerCode tweaks on there.

Not sure why they wanted to mess with the idrive after fitting the rack but I'll see what they say when they decide that it's done.

Hopefully I can just recode, and they won't complain that I've messed with it and all will be fine. 🤞🏼
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #44
redbeer
Purist
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: F31 320ED LCI

Quote:
Great looking car

If the mod is plug and play, does it mean that the option 'Sport Transmission' is kinda fake? Meaning that the transmission itself is the same and it only adds the better looking shifter and flappy paddles behind the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0