F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 2015 435xi track car planning
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
2015 435xi track car planning

I bought the 435 this spring after no longer imagining the M4 as my dream car. Test driving an M6 changed that. Not so satisfied with the 435 so I acquired My dream car last week and the 435 will be my track car.

I am no longer racing motorcycles and turned my race bike back to street but need to get back to the track. Looking at Area 27 in Oliver ATM but Mission is closest.

So, to track the 435 at Mission I know I don't need much power but the N55 needs more power down low. If you know Mission, you also know one needs a good brake setup and a better handling car. This is what I've done to the 435 thus far. Looking for suggestions:

FBO with JB4 and retained MPE exhaust
I already have MPE aerodynamics which may be moot anyways
M4 carbon fiber strut brace which tightens up struts and reduces body roll...theoretically
All other body reinforcements as on M4. Extension strut rods, etc. lightened reinforcing plates, etc.

Winter projects needing advice:
Change out rotors with drilled/slotted two piece (RacingBrake?)
Change out front and rear pads (Pagid?)
See how MP brakes perform and go to 6-pot if the MPEs don't perform
Change out suspension but no idea what to do as it's xDrive (trade for bone stock 440 RWD 6MT?...start over)
Camber plates?
Lighten the car up a bit
18 inch wheels?
Track tires of some sort
I may be a squid and get the Electronic steering wheel.

Thoughts? I am a noob to car racing but have my SCCBC novice in a '08 325.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
I bought the 435 this spring after no longer imagining the M4 as my dream car. Test driving an M6 changed that. Not so satisfied with the 435 so I acquired My dream car last week and the 435 will be my track car.

I am no longer racing motorcycles and turned my race bike back to street but need to get back to the track. Looking at Area 27 in Oliver ATM but Mission is closest.

So, to track the 435 at Mission I know I don't need much power but the N55 needs more power down low. If you know Mission, you also know one needs a good brake setup and a better handling car. This is what I've done to the 435 thus far. Looking for suggestions:

M4 carbon fiber strut brace which tightens up struts and reduces body roll...theoretically
All other body reinforcements as on M4. Extension strut rods, etc. lightened reinforcing plates, etc.

Change out suspension but no idea what to do as it's xDrive (trade for bone stock 440 RWD 6MT?...start over)
Camber plates?
Lighten the car up a bit
18 inch wheels?
Track tires of some sort

I'm sorry, but let me get this straight. You bought an M6 and a 435i and you are DD the M6 and want to track the 435i? Just do both with the M6, that's what it's for. You're going to spend so much time and money trying to make the 4 series half of what the M6 is and it will never give you the same thrill.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I'm sorry, but let me get this straight. You bought an M6 and a 435i and you are DD the M6 and want to track the 435i? Just do both with the M6, that's what it's for. You're going to spend so much time and money trying to make the 4 series half of what the M6 is and it will never give you the same thrill.
The M6 won't be run at Mission as it's a tight little 2.1 km track and it'll stay a tad pristine for now if that's okay with you of course.

I wasn't seeking guidance on how to use my cars but thanks anyways for the thoughtful insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M6 won't be run at Mission as it's a tight little 2.1 km track and it'll stay a tad pristine for now if that's okay with you of course.

I wasn't seeking guidance on how to use my cars but thanks anyways for the thoughtful insight.
Apparently you do need guidance on how to use your cars or you wouldn't be trying to set up a 435i xDrive for track racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
one word...

counseling
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Irrelevant to everything.

Quote:
Hmm...maybe try an M4 or M6. Also you don't want the M6 for a "tight track" but let's add power down low (which the N55 is not in need of).

Quote:
You want to install an M4 suspension and all other body reinforcements? Any you want full bolt ons and JB4. Don't forget a bigger oil cooler. Bigger brakes. Oh there went $10k+. Just buy an M4 or use the M6....

Quote:
Camber plates?
Lighten the car up a bit
18 inch wheels?
Track tires of some sort

Laughing out loud at this point.

Quote:
one word...

counseling

Honest advice for you...either trade for M235/M240 or a Cayman. You're going to spend so much time and money setting up a touring car it just makes no sense whatsoever. The 435 xDrive will eat up tires and brakes like crazy, overheat, and just not be much fun out there as every time you upgrade something you'll find a new weak point...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I see every forum has its trolls.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see every forum has its trolls.

Guy with 435i xDrive: I want to make it a track car. I already have an M6 and I'm going to tell you all about it, but don't you dare suggest I just use that. I want to completely change the suspension, change the wheels/tires, add power, and change a bunch of parts to make it stiffer. Or, maybe I should just buy a 440i?

You have said you are willing to buy an entirely new car for this. I gave you advice and you don't like it. Sorry you bought the wrong car to track.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If you were actually able to read and didn't get bogged down being an @zz, you'd have realized it wasnt bought for the track. You should have understood that from your dissection of the origins post. But your preference was to go low-rent. Don't all of sudden get high and mighty about offering help.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you were actually able to read and didn't get bogged down being an @zz, you'd have realized it wasnt bought for the track. You should have understood that from your dissection of the origins post. But your preference was to go low-rent. Don't all of sudden get high and mighty about offering help.
My first post was genuine surprise and a suggestion that was outside of the box of your stupid plan to set up a 435i xDrive as a track car. You immediately jumped to "don't tell me what to do with my cars" which is fine, had you not been asking people to tell you what to do with your cars.

I don't get what you want. You want to know how to make it a track car? Change the tires, the brakes, the suspension, add an oil cooler, add a bigger intercooler. I would personally start there before adding power. You also suggested changing the car, and if you are willing to do that just buy a decent track car of which I gave you a few suggestions.

We see posts like this all the time. People asking advice then rejecting it because they know what they want but not enough to not be soliciting advice... There is plenty of information on the forum of people who have already done what you are asking.

Edit: Also, that's why nobody else is chiming in! They see the title and think it's a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Then point to the posts instead of your initial approach. Go back and review your original reply and then wonder why you got the answer that you rightly deserved. Enough then...you already discredited yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then point to the posts instead of your initial approach. Go back and review your original reply and then wonder why you got the answer that you rightly deserved. Enough then...you already discredited yourself.
you sure showed me...search for yourself it's super easy
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
Ryne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

My best advice is also M235/M240, Cayman, or similar car for dedicated track use. By the time you put the necessary money in your 435 you will still have been better off getting a better suited track car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne View Post
My best advice is also M235/M240, Cayman, or similar car for dedicated track use. By the time you put the necessary money in your 435 you will still have been better off getting a better suited track car.
Thanks. I'll be using the 435 for the track which will be just fine. After talking with some local guys that have tried their hand at xdrives on this track, it's fine to just run what I have. All it needs for lapping at this track is wheels, tires and brake pads. I won't be racing it with the club.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne View Post
hey hey get out of here with your reasonable suggestion...he was asking for advice as long as it conforms strictly with what he had already decided to do
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser310 View Post
hey hey get out of here with your reasonable suggestion...he was asking for advice as long as it conforms strictly with what he had already decided to do
Yeah get with the program ffs
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
When you don't know what to do with the xdrive, the only suggestion is replace it with something else. Lol. The first troll drives an Altima. There's a difference between racing and lapping on a track. You trolls have likely never been on a track but you like your smack hey?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
When you don't know what to do with the xdrive, the only suggestion is replace it with something else. Lol. The first troll drives an Altima. There's a difference between racing and lapping on a track. You trolls have likely never been on a track but you like your smack hey?
You could remove the front drive shaft to turn the xDrive into RWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 01:16 AM   #19
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You suggested changing it yourself, don't think he was being a troll: "Change out suspension but no idea what to do as it's xDrive (trade for bone stock 440 RWD 6MT?...start over)"
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #20
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
You could remove the front drive shaft to turn the xDrive into RWD.
Yes, researching that...great idea...why did I buy this xdrive again?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser310 View Post
You suggested changing it yourself, don't think he was being a troll: "Change out suspension but no idea what to do as it's xDrive (trade for bone stock 440 RWD 6MT?...start over)"
yeah, so what? my point still holds.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #22
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah, so what? my point still holds.
How dare anyone question the genius dd'ing the M6 and tracking the X Drive.
Appreciate 0