F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 2015 435xi track car planning
GetBMWParts

01-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Go to the site below, view a video of a closed wheel group, then tell me if you're 'racing' your $170,000 car at this track. If you're answer is, 'for sure', you have more money than brains, 'genius'. Or you're just plain stupid.

http://www.sccbc.net/multimedia/videos/

We have not been blessed with great tracks in BC like you guys southward. Until now...this is where the M6 runs...paid members only thanks, in order to keep you squids off the track...

http://www.area27.ca
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Go to the site below, view a video of a closed wheel group, then tell me if you're 'racing' your $170,000 car at this track. If you're answer is, 'for sure', you have more money than brains, 'genius'. Or you're just plain stupid.

http://www.sccbc.net/multimedia/videos/

We have not been blessed with great tracks in BC like you guys southward. Until now...this is where the M6 runs...paid members only thanks, in order to keep you squids off the track...

http://www.area27.ca
Haha you've lost the plot man, just do what makes you happy why do you need validation?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #25
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I just like to throw shit
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #26
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

You could buy a used S2000 and track that for less than $10K.

Hell, go even lower rent and get a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
You could buy a used S2000 and track that for less than $10K.

Hell, go even lower rent and get a Miata.
Hey buddy, he made this thread to announce buying an M6 not to get actual suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #28
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser310 View Post
Hey buddy, he made this thread to announce buying an M6 not to get actual suggestions.
Oh, sorry. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I track my S2000 and while our 435i did see the track once, the S is WAY more fun (and affordable for consumables).

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #29
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
So, to track the 435 at Mission I know I don't need much power but the N55 needs more power down low. If you know Mission, you also know one needs a good brake setup and a better handling car. This is what I've done to the 435 thus far. Looking for suggestions:

FBO with JB4 and retained MPE exhaust
I'd be wary about running a tune that makes significantly more power while you're tracking the car. And I say this because tracking the car is a significantly different use case than drag racing the car.

The use case and stress/heat that a drivetrain experiences during tracking is significant. Every transmission is built with the ability to manage heat in mind. Look up the parts for the ZF 8HP45 vs 8HP50. Their heat exhchangers are different which is part of the reason why the 8HP50 can be rated for higher torque. There's this uninformed mentality that if I put a tune on my car and the transmission hasn't grenaded itself yet, the tune is safe. It parallels the mentality that the ZF 8HP45 can handle a LOT more power. Heat is what kills torque converters. The heat experienced during one pull may not get you in trouble, but the heat experienced due to a tune (elevated power levels) and 20-30 mins of tracking the car may be enough to significantly damage/wear your torque converter.
Appreciate 1
CJ4211450.00
      01-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, do you have the additional radiator in your 435? (e.g. the one that is in front of the driver side tire) If not, I suggest starting there first. My wife's F30 335 without that additional radiator got into power reduction mode very quickly the 1 time I took it to Buttonwillow. You should put tires on your mod list as well

Overall I agree with the others on getting a miata or s2k (or E36 M3) kind of cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
get a 235, get tires and suspension, i promise itll be better than that 4 series will be
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #32
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
get a 235, get tires and suspension, i promise itll be better than that 4 series will be
D/Bag
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #33
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'd be wary about running a tune that makes significantly more power while you're tracking the car. And I say this because tracking the car is a significantly different use case than drag racing the car.

The use case and stress/heat that a drivetrain experiences during tracking is significant. Every transmission is built with the ability to manage heat in mind. Look up the parts for the ZF 8HP45 vs 8HP50. Their heat exhchangers are different which is part of the reason why the 8HP50 can be rated for higher torque. There's this uninformed mentality that if I put a tune on my car and the transmission hasn't grenaded itself yet, the tune is safe. It parallels the mentality that the ZF 8HP45 can handle a LOT more power. Heat is what kills torque converters. The heat experienced during one pull may not get you in trouble, but the heat experienced due to a tune (elevated power levels) and 20-30 mins of tracking the car may be enough to significantly damage/wear your torque converter.
Great info...thanks. Lucky mine is a 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #34
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, do you have the additional radiator in your 435? (e.g. the one that is in front of the driver side tire) If not, I suggest starting there first. My wife's F30 335 without that additional radiator got into power reduction mode very quickly the 1 time I took it to Buttonwillow. You should put tires on your mod list as well

Overall I agree with the others on getting a miata or s2k (or E36 M3) kind of cars.
It's the MPEdition, so yes it has the extra rad. Thanks for the advice. Tires are on the list.

No more cars though...this one goes to the track. Looking forward to it. Lots of guys run their 325s, the 435 will be fine. And the wife wants to autocross this one...ikr. Autocross? I maybe need to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #35
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I started with my E92 335i at the track bone stock, and gradually modded it over the course (pun intended) of many events w/ BMW CCA and PCA. The 435i xDrive you have isn't all that different of a car in terms of weight/power.

High-temp brake fluid is #1. It matters more than anything, IMO. Good tires or brakes won't help if your brake fluid has boiled. So brake fluid first. I used Motul or Total fluid with success.

Tires and brake pads after that. To keep it as economical as possible, buy a dedicated set of rims and tires for the track. I was able to fit a full set of wheels/tires in the back of my E92, a real asset if you don't intend to trailer your rig to the event. Don't drive on the track tires on the street if you don't have to, because if you get a flat, your event might be ruined. Same thing if you mess up your track set during a session; at least you have the option of swapping on your street set and going back out there.

Get an OEM BMW set of whatever the smallest set of wheels will fit on your car. Probably 18". Craigslist or even here in the regionals, someone should be selling them for pretty cheap.
Michelin PSS is an excellent streetable tire that works well on track. They get greasy when you are really pushing it but work great for most of a 20 min session. More importantly, they last a long time, you can get double-digit track days out of a set if you're a good driver.
For brake pads, look for something that doesn't require insane temperatures to function. You would want to upgrade pads the same time as tires, if you get stickier tires it will demand more of the brakes since stickier tires can generate more force = greater heat. I used Hawk pads most of the time with good results.

Next is the cooling ...I had an MT in my 335i so I don't know about the 435i auto's and if there are heat problems. In the 335i automatics, BMW didn't upgrade the cooling, they just mated the auto transmission to the car's existing cooling. If they did the same thing for the 435i, then see what other people have run into. Might be worthwhile to invest in a transmission cooler of some sort. As noted, heat is the enemy.

Beyond the above, things will get expensive very quickly. Suspension, etc. I would say forget the suspension mods unless there is something you need to do to prevent a problem. E.g. if some part of the suspension is too weak for track duty and should be replaced. Unlikely.

I ended up investing $20k+ into my car due to the track - JRZ suspension, race tires, differential, Sparco seats, upgraded everything, etc. It got to a point. After I did my 30-something track day I realized that while the mods were fun and I learned a ton during the process, that I probably wouldn't do it again. I think I had more actual fun when my car was close to stock because I only knew to care about the driving element. The car was fantastic when I had the mods, but in hindsight I felt they ultimately detracted from the track experience because I was focused on the mods. Again, no regrets doing them. Nowadays I'm pretty happy with a stock car with upgraded brake fluid, pads, and tires.

Aside from those three items, everything else is a distant second place in terms of what it actually does for the car's performance on the track. I guess this is obvious to me now but wasn't when I was modding. You pay a lot for very little incremental upgrades with suspension, etc.
Basically if you feel the car is inadequate after changing brake fluid, pads, and tires, then you should start looking for another car. It would take a very good driver to take the 435i to its limit, so if you're new to tracking a car, it might take you a while.
I was at an event once with a guy who had a car similar to mine, he raced motorcycles prior to the event and never tracked a car. I passed him in the morning but he made me look I was standing still in the afternoon once he figured out the physics of it.

Charles
Polo088161593.50
SMED75.00
      02-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #36
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

You should look at upgrading your CP, TIC, and FMIC as well. With a JB4 it's highly likely you are going to blow the stock charge pipe, and the stock intercooler just plain sucks...who cares what you are tracking as long as you are having fun
Appreciate 0