F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

11-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #1145
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Attached you'll find my app that makes the iDrive controller usable in any app.
Bear in mind, this one only works for Snapdragon devices and requires root and Xposed.
Source is attached as well.
Remove the '.pdf' ending from the apk to make it work.
As always, use at your own risk.

I removed my unit from my car today and will return it on Monday.
Good luck
This is great, Any easy guide or steps for installing xposed? I found this but states we need magisk as well - https://www.xda-developers.com/xpose...t-android-pie/

Do you know the exact steps I need to follow so your software will work, I would love to have idrive control across the board..

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #1146
-pascal-
Rep
Drives: 1 series/F20 (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Attached you'll find my app that makes the iDrive controller usable in any app.
Bear in mind, this one only works for Snapdragon devices and requires root and Xposed.
Source is attached as well.
Remove the '.pdf' ending from the apk to make it work.
As always, use at your own risk.

I removed my unit from my car today and will return it on Monday.
Good luck
Only Snapdragon? Not working with PX6?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #1147
Ericokta
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 LCI

Just asking by any chance anyone has a file for the old android running 4.4?
dual core 1g ram unit
Need some files to restore it
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #1148
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericokta View Post
Just asking by any chance anyone has a file for the old android running 4.4?
dual core 1g ram unit
Need some files to restore it
Here, an older 4.4 version:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...knl3kbkPp9BSl_
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #1149
Spanielgita
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D F31 2015

I have the snapdragon headunit, I am lookin to update from V2.8.3 to the most recent update, what is the process please?

My system version is 0.0-8953EA
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #1150
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
This is great, Any easy guide or steps for installing xposed? I found this but states we need magisk as well - https://www.xda-developers.com/xpose...t-android-pie/

Do you know the exact steps I need to follow so your software will work, I would love to have idrive control across the board..

Thanks in advance!
If you, somehow, end up installing magisk , pay attention and never update magisk , or you can end up in a bootloop , like I did . For the moment there is no method to recover from this bootloop (stuck at fastboot) , and I was obliged to send unit back to seller for repair . Might end up very costly for me, if they find out that unit is bricked because of me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #1151
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
If you, somehow, end up installing magisk , pay attention and never update magisk , or you can end up in a bootloop , like I did . For the moment there is no method to recover from this bootloop (stuck at fastboot) , and I was obliged to send unit back to seller for repair . Might end up very costly for me, if they find out that unit is bricked because of me.
Thanks for the warning and I remember seeing your post, Im not installing Magisk the only thing worse then dealing with the poor audio or any of this other little things would be to brick the unit. So far this seems like a neat toy to get some updated features but with the poor bluetooth implementation and poor audio quality im almost regretting it... I have hope though we can unlock the DSP Feature and maybe lead to better audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #1152
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanielgita View Post
I have the snapdragon headunit, I am lookin to update from V2.8.3 to the most recent update, what is the process please?

My system version is 0.0-8953EA
Just copy the update file (as zip) on USB flash drive or SD card(if your unit has SD card reader) and insert it in USB port (SD reader) . Card/drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and update file needs to be in the root of the drive
Update will be detected and process will start after your agreement.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #1153
Ericokta
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 LCI

Quote:
thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #1154
Spanielgita
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just copy the update file (as zip) on USB flash drive or SD card(if your unit has SD card reader) and insert it in USB port (SD reader) . Card/drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and update file needs to be in the root of the drive
Update will be detected and process will start after your agreement.

Many thanks Seaman! I'll give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #1155
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Lightbulb RaceX Dimming Service

Hello guys,

I've been pretty busy these last days, that's why I haven't post news about my dimming app.
I have a 'ready for release' version of my application that I'm sharing now with you.

Some informations about this app

- It has been designed for my PX6 Android 8.1. I have no guarantee it will work on Snapdragon or Android 9 units.
- The steering wheel controls will NOT work fine if you start the default music app. I'm using the steering wheel scroll wheel to adjust the dimming, so if the default music app has been started it will also change the current playing track...
- I can't guarantee the serial port used by your unit will be the same number than mine. I can add a config menu in the future.

How the application works ?

- After installing the apk, you have to check the checkbox called 'Enable dimming service'
- The service will try to open a serial port to the MCU. A toast will appear to tell you if the service has succesfully connected to the MCU. If not I means that your serial port is different than my unit
- Adjust your preffered day and night dimming value (for 0 to 100). Default is 100 for day mode and 20 for night mode. You can set it to 0 without problem as it won't turn off the screen.
- Enable the steering wheel controls if you wan't to use it

Using the steering wheel scroll button

- Increase the dimming by scrolling up the wheel scroll button
- Decrease the dimming by scrolling down the wheel scroll button
- Switch day/night mode by clicking the wheel scroll button

Using Broadcast Intent

I added a broadcast intent so you can control the dimming using you own application (or Tasker, Automate, etc...)
The action string is :
Code:
ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_ACTION
There are 2 extras :

Code:
Name --> ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_EXTRA_PERCENT
Type --> Integer
Values --> 0-100
Code:
Name --> ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_EXTRA_DAY_NIGHT
Type --> Integer
Values --> 1
What next ?

I'm considering on adding the possibility to adjust the dimming directly from the application. But I think it would be redundant with the default settings app.
I would also like to add a sort of automatic day/night mode switching based on sunrise/sunset.
The perfect option would be to be able to get the current brightness from the CANBus... But I don't know if it's possible.

Please give me your ideas and tell me if it works for you.

You'll find the application in the Apps directory of this link :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Kd?usp=sharing

RaceX58

Last edited by RaceX58; 11-18-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 4
floc72.50
foo200261.50
      11-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1156
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
The latest for E-cars (got it from a E60 2008): 84316938762
So it looks like we're using the same mic.

Anyway, today I've disconnected the mic to expose connector pins, hooked up multimeter (only two wires are used in my version) but couldn't see any voltage with ignition ON or during voice command/phone call. I need to build a small and nasty adapter with exposed wires to check voltage during a phone call when mic is actually connected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mjam133.50
      11-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #1157
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post
Hello guys,

I've been pretty busy these last days, that's why I haven't post news about my dimming app.
I have a 'ready for release' version of my application that I'm sharing now with you.

- It has been designed for my PX6 Android 8.1. I have no guarantee it will work on Snapdragon or Android 9 units.
- The steering wheel controls will NOT work fine if you start the default music app. I'm using the steering wheel scroll wheel to adjust the dimming, so if the default music app has been started it will also change the current playing track...
- I can't guarantee the serial port used by your unit will be the same number than mine. I can add a config menu in the future.

- After installing the apk, you have to check the checkbox called 'Enable dimming service'
- The service will try to open a serial port to the MCU. A toast will appear to tell you if the service has succesfully connected to the MCU. If not I means that your serial port is different than my unit
- Adjust your preffered day and night dimming value (for 0 to 100). Default is 100 for day mode and 20 for night mode. You can set it to 0 without problem as it won't turn off the screen.

Using Broadcast Intent

I added a broadcast intent so you can control the dimming using you own application (or Tasker, Automate, etc...)
The action string is :
Code:
There are 2 extras :

Code:
Type --> Integer
Values --> 0-100
Code:
Type --> Integer
Values --> 1
What next ?

I'm considering on adding the possibility to adjust the dimming directly from the application. But I think it would be redundant with the default settings app.
I would also like to add a sort of automatic day/night mode switching based on sunrise/sunset.
The perfect option would be to be able to get the current brightness from the CANBus... But I don't know if it's possible.

RaceX58

Many thanks man nice app. You know what would make sense? If you can save values for different occassion like morning mode 70% dim or night mode 20% dim with just a click. We have to go everytime inside the settings and adjust the slider by hand which is hard while driving and before driving it takes too long.

So just open the app click on your desired pre setting and bam! dimming is done. This would be nice. I need my steering wheel scroller for music so I can't use it for dimming unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #1158
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Many thanks man nice app. You know what would make sense? If you can save values for different occassion like morning mode 70% dim or night mode 20% dim with just a click. We have to go everytime inside the settings and adjust the slider by hand which is hard while driving and before driving it takes too long.

So just open the app click on your desired pre setting and bam! dimming is done. This would be nice. I need my steering wheel scroller for music so I can't use it for dimming unfortunately.
Thank you for your idea. It can be done for sure.
The problem I see is that 8 AM on summer is not the same brightness than 8 AM in winter. So you'll still have to adjust the settings occasionally...
I will think about it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #1159
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
The problem I see is that 8 AM on summer is not the same brightness than 8 AM in winter.
When this app can read time, why not date also, and adjust according to season?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #1160
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
When this app can read time, why not date also, and adjust according to season?
You also have to take care about the user location

I have to find a library that calculate sunrise/sunset according to day time and location.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #1161
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
You also have to take care about the user location

I have to find a library that calculate sunrise/sunset according to day time and location.
Since you are familiar with android programming could take a look in Firefly’s source code about idrive and make it compatible with android 8.1 px6 if that is possible ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #1162
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Thank you for your idea. It can be done for sure.
The problem I see is that 8 AM on summer is not the same brightness than 8 AM in winter. So you'll still have to adjust the settings occasionally...
I will think about it.

Thanks
I know of course and therefore we could make like, I don't know, 6 - 10 presets (all editable by user) and just select the one which accords to the weather. To go into settings and adjust the slider while driving is dangerous and very hard. Also before driving you have to wait until system boots up, which is too long every time.

So an app which you can just open quickly and select your dim by click on a preset with big buttons would make this process very very easy.

Another Idea: Is it possible to link my Idea with presets maybe to the radio buttons from 1- 8?? So you just press a number and than bam! display dimming is set This would be very very nice because the number buttons are useless in android side. Because we need our wheel scroll button for music, this is not a good option in my opinion but many respect to your work you achieved already a lot by gaining access to the dimming service maybe we can adjust the usability a bit more, the main work is already done perfectly by you great respect!!!

Last edited by Shrazy; 11-19-2019 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: added image
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #1163
fuktf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice regarding these android screens. I currently have a quadlock adapter in use for my Audison amp. i see these screens use a quadlock adapter as well. Is it possible to run two quadlocks in series? Has anybody done this, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #1164
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuktf View Post
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice regarding these android screens. I currently have a quadlock adapter in use for my Audison amp. i see these screens use a quadlock adapter as well. Is it possible to run two quadlocks in series? Has anybody done this, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Yep, works absolutely fine with mine.

That being said, I’ll need to work out the cable routing behind the idrive unit, as things are tight as they are! I think I’ll pull out the glovebox to see how things can be routed to the side.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #1165
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Ok to anyone interested voltage supplied to mic is 3.6V regardless of ignition being ON or during a phone call. So it looks like we can use OEM mic as it is powered constantly. Now I need to take apart Android unit and measure what is actually happening on this side... problem is I don't have much time to spare so don't know when I will actually check that.

Last edited by RedErik; 11-19-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mjam133.50
      11-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #1166
Spanielgita
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hello guys,

Using Broadcast Intent

The action string is :
Code:
There are 2 extras :

Code:
Type --> Integer
Values --> 0-100
Code:
Type --> Integer
Values --> 1
What next ?

RaceX58
Thanks for you hard work developing this app to help everyone out.

I have a suggestion for your consideration. Can you have the volume knob on the Head Unit itself used to adjust brightness? I always use my steering wheel controls for skipping tracks and pausing music etc.

I guess the only issue Is that both the steering wheel volume rocker and the HU volume rocker are linked and if set using either would adjust the brightness and you would end up with no volume controls?

Has anyone installed Dimly for android? I find it is excellent at dimming the screen beyond the minimum stock screen brightness. If you get the full version it enables the auto start and stop at set times or sunrise/sunset I believe.
Appreciate 0