F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Painting Roof Black alpine white 435x drive?
proTUNING Freaks

09-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
zbritton
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

Painting Roof Black alpine white 435x drive?

Please convince me one way or another whether I should paint my roof black. Have black front grill, gills, carbon fiber mirrors and tinted windows, blacked out the accents and silver border of windows, smoked headlights and taillights and painted m sport rims black. Adding a carbon fiber rear spoiler (and not planning on carbon fiber front/rear additions or painting m performance side skirts black) but unsure if painting the roof black would be overkill.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbritton View Post
Please convince me one way or another whether I should paint my roof black. Have black front grill, gills, carbon fiber mirrors and tinted windows, blacked out the accents and silver border of windows, smoked headlights and taillights and painted m sport rims black. Adding a carbon fiber rear spoiler (and not planning on carbon fiber front/rear additions or painting m performance side skirts black) but unsure if painting the roof black would be overkill.
Just get it wrapped
Appreciate 4
      09-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

Just wrap it? If you don't like it you can remove it!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Quote:
Just get it wrapped
Prefer the look of the painted ones I've seen and don't like the residue a wrap leaves.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
And still not sure if I'll like the look long term. White beamers I like the best are all white with all blacked out accents but mine has some black accents on the front and rear bumpers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Blueskybmw
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Quote:
And still not sure if I'll like the look long term. White beamers I like the best are all white with all blacked out accents but mine has some black accents on the front and rear bumpers
Quote:
I think mine looks great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskybmw View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yours looks fantastic. But you have modified side skirts and front and rear splitters. My side skirts are white and I don't plan on putting on front or rear splitters (but I could just be stubborn) b/c I think will be overkill, but maybe the front/rear splitters and matching side skirt makes the roof pop. Trying to visualize how your car would look if you side skirts were white and without the splitters. Also your mirrors are black and not CF it appears.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
Blueskybmw
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yours looks fantastic. But you have modified side skirts and front and rear splitters. My side skirts are white and I don't plan on putting on front or rear splitters (but I could just be stubborn) b/c I think will be overkill, but maybe the front/rear splitters and matching side skirt makes the roof pop. Trying to visualize how your car would look if you side skirts were white and without the splitters. Also your mirrors are black and not CF it appears.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's all down to what you like, I just like the streamlined look but I know it's not for all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's all down to what you like, I just like the streamlined look but I know it's not for all.
For sure. Also you have silver/white rims. Already painted the rims black. Not a ton of interest in putting another 2-3K in cosmetic mods into car though.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Try wrap first. If you don't like it, it's a cheaper "fix" than paint. If it looks good, then you can either keep or "upgrade" to paint if that really is what you want. You could also play with a cf wrap to really explore options
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Personally I really dig the white roof on white BMW's. Lines look great in white, period. The tint from the windows accentuate the lines really nicely, giving the storm trooper look. I think the black roof throws the balance off personally. If you have black rims & dark tint I think that's enough. As a photographer I'm very visual about these things for work so anyway this is just my humble opinion. Let your white bimmer be white.

In the case of the photo above - notice his rims are not black - so the balance isn't thrown off by excess black. Balance has a fine line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Personally I really dig the white roof on white BMW's. Lines look great in white, period. The tint from the windows accentuate the lines really nicely, giving the storm trooper look. I think the black roof throws the balance off personally. If you have black rims & dark tint I think that's enough. As a photographer I'm very visual about these things for work so anyway this is just my humble opinion. Let your white bimmer be white.

In the case of the photo above - notice his rims are not black - so the balance isn't thrown off by excess black. Balance has a fine line.
Thanks for the reply. I think I tend to agree with you, I think it will be too much black but sadly it's already done. My friend has a body shop and gave me a great deal not much above cost, so I said why not. I haven't seen it yet but hopefully it won't be totally off.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
HugoBoss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i /X5xDrive35i

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I think I tend to agree with you, I think it will be too much black but sadly it's already done. My friend has a body shop and gave me a great deal not much above cost, so I said why not. I haven't seen it yet but hopefully it won't be totally off.
Please share pics when done. I’m going for the white and black accent on mine but still trying to decide how much black I really want to add to it
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #14
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

I personally like the white roof ...but to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Here's mine, got it wrapped gloss black last year. I think he said it should be good for at least 4-5 years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #16
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBoss View Post
Quote:
Please share pics when done. I’m going for the white and black accent on mine but still trying to decide how much black I really want to add to it
Here it is, nearly identical to the other above. Can take an aerial later. Was going to go with white front reflectors too but they ended up painting them black, miscommunication. Smoked out headlights and taillights and have a CF rear lip on the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #17
HugoBoss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here it is, nearly identical to the other above. Can take an aerial later. Was going to go with white front reflectors too but they ended up painting them black, miscommunication. Smoked out headlights and taillights and have a CF rear lip on the way.
It looks good, cant wait to modify mine. My next project is the black rocker panels, fender air vents and rear spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #18
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It looks good, cant wait to modify mine. My next project is the black rocker panels, fender air vents and rear spoiler.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. And they still painted the reflectors black even though I told them white now having a rough time getting them to put them white think it looks cleaner from the side. Thought after rocker panels, wrapping/painting side skirts, putting on a front cf end and rear diffuser but passed on all of those for now, or planned on passing on them until the front and rear reflectors were painted black even though I asked for white. Thought the tint, accents, roof, rims, brakes, m stripes on front grill and smoked out head and taillights were enough. Maybe a European m sport livery down the sidew
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #19
HugoBoss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. And they still painted the reflectors black even though I told them white now having a rough time getting them to put them white think it looks cleaner from the side. Thought after rocker panels, wrapping/painting side skirts, putting on a front cf end and rear diffuser but passed on all of those for now, or planned on passing on them until the front and rear reflectors were painted black even though I asked for white. Thought the tint, accents, roof, rims, brakes, m stripes on front grill and smoked out head and taillights were enough. Maybe a European m sport livery down the sidew
Black reflectors don’t look bad but I agree that the white ones will look cleaner, I think just with the black air vents should be enough. - Did you install those yourself or they came with your car? Also, I noticed your brakes, I like that too...
Did you just paint your calipers or did do the m performance modification + that color blue? I want to do mine on red
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #20
zbritton
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Black reflectors don’t look bad but I agree that the white ones will look cleaner, I think just with the black air vents should be enough. - Did you install those yourself or they came with your car? Also, I noticed your brakes, I like that too...
Did you just paint your calipers or did do the m performance modification + that color blue? I want to do mine on red
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Black reflectors don't look bad but I agree that the white ones will look cleaner, I think just with the black air vents should be enough. - Did you install those yourself or they came with your car? Also, I noticed your brakes, I like that too...
Worst comes to worse I wrap them in white or just buy a set of white reflectors. Had the shop paint the kidney gills and the brakes. Did the m performance, had to for a stick. Also asked for a blue similar to the m sport blue but it's a bite brighter but it pops. Thinking about changing the bmw emblems to white/black from the normal one like the IND emblems but no interest in paying 100 for those, cheaper to have them painted. Also may get ride of the 435i/x drive emblems on rear
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #21
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Problem with whites is that you take away all the reflection, tinting/smoking still retains the reflection. It can void your insurance claim and cause unnecessary hassles. In my opinion smoked gives it a nice contrast also. You will most likely be fine with white ones also, lot of forum members have those installed.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
HugoBoss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Problem with whites is that you take away all the reflection, tinting/smoking still retains the reflection. It can void your insurance claim and cause unnecessary hassles. In my opinion smoked gives it a nice contrast also. You will most likely be fine with white ones also, lot of forum members have those installed.
Good point about the insurance claim. I hadn’t thought about that earlier!
Appreciate 0