F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO retrofit problem
Studio RSR

03-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

NBT EVO retrofit problem

My car comes with factory CIC and has full nbt evo retrofitted done by previous owner. But there are 2 main problems after retrofit.

1. microphone doesn't work. the error code is "B7F84D microphone 1. Open circuit". The previous owner only knows that the person who installed the system DID NOT connect microphone cable to the headunit for some reason. I did some research on this but still not sure how difficult would it be if I buy the cable and connect it myself.

2. No OABR cable. The nbtevo has carplay but I'd like to have it fullscreen. The coding person told me that there is a OABR cable missing, which is usually discarded after retrofit. Now I have 2 choices: a) pull the entire headunit out and have it coded on the bench b) buy the cable and plug it in then code the fullscreen carplay.

Wonder if any one have similar experience can share some knowledge on this
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #2
Vortex8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 328xi

Hello I've had HU_ENTRY and did the update to NBT EVO recently.

I had to route two microphones to the head unit (since I've had Enhanced bluetooth option and they were routed to the CBX unit in the back). It wasa quite an easy task.

As for the OABR, normally you should have wires in the big quad-lock connector and what I did is that I just cut them and re routed them to the OABR connector. The only issue I had is that the terminals were really small, so I advise to have proper crimping tools.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex8 View Post

I had to route two microphones to the head unit (since I've had Enhanced bluetooth option and they were routed to the CBX unit in the back). It wasa quite an easy task.

As for the OABR, normally you should have wires in the big quad-lock connector and what I did is that I just cut them and re routed them to the OABR connector. The only issue I had is that the terminals were really small, so I advise to have proper crimping tools.
Thanks! Gonna get a proper tool to start prying What is CBX unit by the way??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:00 AM   #4
Vortex8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Combox multimedia unit. You can read more about it here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ombox/DyLlSyGQ if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
coupedream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino blue 435i Gc

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex8 View Post

If you don’t mind, do you have a link for the correct crimping tool for the nano msq for the oabar
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #6
Vortex8
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've used TE Ergocrimp with proper crimp dye. The only problem is that they are quite expensive (around 500 EUR), but I work with electronics so I had them available for borrowing.

What could be the way around is to get this : Ethernet wire - Pair / 61119374919 with pre-crimped terminals and either splice it to the existing harness you have or route it directly to FEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

You don't need a crimp tool for 2-3 cables.
You can also do this with a small flat pliers.

Last edited by atzebmw; 09-14-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Dr_MiTo
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyf10 View Post
My car comes with factory CIC and has full nbt evo retrofitted done by previous owner. But there are 2 main problems after retrofit.

1. microphone doesn't work. the error code is "B7F84D microphone 1. Open circuit". The previous owner only knows that the person who installed the system DID NOT connect microphone cable to the headunit for some reason. I did some research on this but still not sure how difficult would it be if I buy the cable and connect it myself.

2. No OABR cable. The nbtevo has carplay but I'd like to have it fullscreen. The coding person told me that there is a OABR cable missing, which is usually discarded after retrofit. Now I have 2 choices: a) pull the entire headunit out and have it coded on the bench b) buy the cable and plug it in then code the fullscreen carplay.

Wonder if any one have similar experience can share some knowledge on this
Hello, I have the same exact problem, my car retrofitted by previous owner.
The microphone is not working and same code error microphone 1 open circuit.
I wonder if any one have fixed it? What was the problem?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:43 AM   #9
Assassins
Rep
Drives: F30 320D

I have the same problem after retrofit the ATM. I route new cable like in the Diagram from MIC1 to ATM and ATM to HU. MIC1 not working
Appreciate 0