F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 10 HU discussion
Studio RSR

10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #1717
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aram2020 View Post
Hoi / hello,

nee, hoe krijg ik hem in recovery mode? Android deel start niet op.

How to get it in recovery mode. I can't boot the unit into Android. I discovered a reset button in the back of my Mekede unit but it is only turning it of and wenn i puss another time it shows the bwm connectdrive logo again but noting happens. Pussing the button for 30 sec won't also not help.

What i tried:
Disconnecting power on the battery
Short press reset button
Long press reset button (30 sec +)
USB changing the OTA Package name

Thanks in advanced (alsvast dank)
You cant go forced into recovery mode when Android is not booting.
Try OTA-Recovery from 1st page 1st post.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #1718
Mad1Max
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Hoi / hello,

nee, hoe krijg ik hem in recovery mode? Android deel start niet op.

How to get it in recovery mode. I can't boot the unit into Android. I discovered a reset button in the back of my Mekede unit but it is only turning it of and wenn i puss another time it shows the bwm connectdrive logo again but noting happens. Pussing the button for 30 sec won't also not help.

What i tried:
Disconnecting power on the battery
Short press reset button
Long press reset button (30 sec +)
USB changing the OTA Package name

Thanks in advanced (alsvast dank)
Mate / Hoi,

try this one.. Long press the reset button until it switches to his recovery mode.

voor mij het was een heel lang geleden toen ik het uitvoerde maar wel met een oude px5 headunit, echter.. probeer het volgende maar ff:
lang ingedrukt houden, zeg maar, meer dan 30 seconden tot ie zichzelf naar de recovery mode -zou- opstart.

ik had ooit meer dan 20 minuten ingedrukt gehouden en zoveel keren opnieuw geprobeerde tot ie weer ademde vandaar.

of: trek de kabel harness maar ff los en laat hem een avondje maar slapen, de volgende dag aansluiten en kijken maar of het wel normaal opstart, zo niet, herhaal het lang indrukken gedoe opnieuw maar.

ik hoop dat het zo zou het uw lukken ermee.. het is wel un lelijke gedoe dat allemaal maar helaas het kon nie anders, of via een toetsenbord gedoe.

veel succes ermee toegewenst.. bij deze.

Oh, vergeet het maar niet het volgende nml: Er Mag Géén enkel sd/usb dingen erin zijn of gehangen, dus haal / trek ze maar ff weg / los!

Success
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #1719
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 355i

Im having some trouble with my unit changing all sorts of setting in my CIC. When i first start the my car (2010 e90 335i) the input with have changed away from the AUX input. Other times my L7 surround will be unchecked, or the bass or treble will have changed. Very random. Its a PIA sometimes to get it to stick on the AUX input when i change back to the Android unit.

This is the unit I got:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...3e1d4c4d78gS8T

In the factory settings there is no reference to the e90. Just e60

I have attached the MCU version and rom info. Is this the latest version?

Also how is everyone setting these units up? I use Youtube music, PLEX, Google maps for the most part so the skin music and video apps are useless to me. I have also installed Android auto right on the system it works ok. My CIC knob works for the most part. I have it set to type 2. Not sure if that is correct.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #1720
Mad1Max
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewidow View Post
Im having some trouble with my unit changing all sorts of setting in my CIC. When i first start the my car (2010 e90 335i) the input with have changed away from the AUX input. Other times my L7 surround will be unchecked, or the bass or treble will have changed. Very random. Its a PIA sometimes to get it to stick on the AUX input when i change back to the Android unit.

This is the unit I got:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...3e1d4c4d78gS8T

In the factory settings there is no reference to the e90. Just e60

I have attached the MCU version and rom info. Is this the latest version?

Also how is everyone setting these units up? I use Youtube music, PLEX, Google maps for the most part so the skin music and video apps are useless to me. I have also installed Android auto right on the system it works ok. My CIC knob works for the most part. I have it set to type 2. Not sure if that is correct.
Mate,

can or will you try the following?
first, do an f-reset.
and then flash it to the latest img v2.3.0
do an f-reset again after flashing the newer img.
and then we'll see if it helps?

ps: your mcu file is the newest one.. what i think.

Success
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #1721
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

THANK YOU!

I just wanted to post here saying THANKS! I have spent my Sunday going through all 79 pages of this thread LOL! Fascinating stuff and a big shout out to the energy of this community.

Like most, I am in search for the best aftermarket experience to be had, and believe that this latest hardware platform 64gb/4gb 8 core setup should be well capable of it. (And my biggest measure of success, now, is to convince my wife, who has sort of lost faith, that I haven't wasted my money on this thing. Ha!)

I'm going to re-read the first post and get ready to go to the latest firmware/MCU... I bought my unit from Navi-fly back in July, with the latest "blue anti-glare" screen, 1920x720, that shipped with 1.8.5.

I'll come back later with more questions/thoughts/comments/contributions, but had to give a quick shout out and thanks. I've joined the discord channel, and had made some (very) modest donations to you guys- hopefully enough to buy a beer or coffee, etc.

Thanks so much...
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      10-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #1722
CowSoft
Rep
Drives: F20

Hi

I just got my HU with SD625/1920/4/64 and installed it well. Updated to 2.3.0.

I faced the fact that autostart apps are not working, it looks like manufacturers power manager doesn't allow user apps to start.
Also it is not possible to start background service from widgets until you start app.

I don't like KSWLauncher so I'm using Nova, but I can't use Spotify/Weather/etc widgets

Is there any way to get around this?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #1723
Mad1Max
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynbIPb View Post
Hi
I don't like KSWLauncher so I'm using Nova, but I can't use Spotify/Weather/etc widgets

Is there any way to get around this?
Mate / comrade,

try this nice one: AGM_Car_launcher_Full_2.6.0 ... you can take it from the i-net or from some Russ site.. получайте удовольствие от этого!

Success / успех
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #1724
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 355i

/

Last edited by whitewidow; 10-25-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #1725
HEEDlight
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1Max View Post
Mate,

try another sd (or use an usb!) card.. mostly in such case it has to do with a bad sd card and of course format it to fat... you know.

Success
Thanx that worked well. I used an old USB stick on the red USB connector.

Although I hate old USB stick, sometimes its good not to throw away everything
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      10-26-2020, 03:32 AM   #1726
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1Max View Post
Mate / Hoi,

try this one.. Long press the reset button until it switches to his recovery mode.

voor mij het was een heel lang geleden toen ik het uitvoerde maar wel met een oude px5 headunit, echter.. probeer het volgende maar ff:
lang ingedrukt houden, zeg maar, meer dan 30 seconden tot ie zichzelf naar de recovery mode -zou- opstart.

ik had ooit meer dan 20 minuten ingedrukt gehouden en zoveel keren opnieuw geprobeerde tot ie weer ademde vandaar.

of: trek de kabel harness maar ff los en laat hem een avondje maar slapen, de volgende dag aansluiten en kijken maar of het wel normaal opstart, zo niet, herhaal het lang indrukken gedoe opnieuw maar.

ik hoop dat het zo zou het uw lukken ermee.. het is wel un lelijke gedoe dat allemaal maar helaas het kon nie anders, of via een toetsenbord gedoe.

veel succes ermee toegewenst.. bij deze.

Oh, vergeet het maar niet het volgende nml: Er Mag Géén enkel sd/usb dingen erin zijn of gehangen, dus haal / trek ze maar ff weg / los!

Success
Can we keep it to English only please? Thank you.
Appreciate 2
F20_M135i100.50
Stainy265.00
      10-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #1727
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Quote:
Hi all,

Today I upgraded from android 9 to 10 as discribed first to 1.2.0. after first boot, wat went fine I updated to 2.3.0 and now it stucks (bootloop?) on logo connectdrive. I won't boot into Android. The oem bmw is working fine.

Anyone had this issue as well and solved this? The tip on the first page in this topic to change the ota file name doesn't work... After 10 minutes still de logo and no reboot.

Hope someone can help me .
Here is my biggest fear and I honestly hope you can find a solution (what our friend Kri describes seems to me the best thing)

It is known that for the MCU file it is important to check the hardware compatibility via the lettering (ALS / GS etc ...) would it not be the same for the firmware mentioned
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #1728
CowSoft
Rep

Hi

I found that CPU scaling governor is set to performance
This is the reason why all cores are at 2ghz without load and high CPU temperature (about 50'C)

I'm going to change this setting at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

May be somebody already tried this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #1729
Mad1Max
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEDlight View Post
Thanx that worked well. I used an old USB stick on the red USB connector.

Although I hate old USB stick, sometimes its good not to throw away everything
Mate / comrade,

try this one is what you need for your usb, is also what i'm here using with my own A10 head unit..

ES_File_Explorer-Premium-v4.2.3.4.1_build_15006-Mod (you already knew from where to get it.. right?)

ps: i always use my own sandisk usb 32gb for music with it, you can easily detach it and put new things on it like files or new music etc!.

Success
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #1730
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynbIPb View Post
Hi

I found that CPU scaling governor is set to performance
This is the reason why all cores are at 2ghz without load and high CPU temperature (about 50'C)

I'm going to change this setting at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

May be somebody already tried this ?
Thats a known issue that govenor is set to performance since Android 10, but now known hot to change it (without additional tools) back.

I checked your listed folder, it does not exist, seems to be a "running" systemfile.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #1731
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
there are known issues with those cheap splitters cables if you follow Discord, thats why these splitters are note really recommended, nothing to blame other people about ....

Kri
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge858 View Post
You can destroy your android GPS module with that antenna splitter due to different voltage in oem and android systems. Would be safe to cut off oem unit from splitter and use it as extension cable only for Android HU.
I just measured current on the GPS splitter cable, Android 9 SD625, BMW E87 Navi Business (M-ASK or CCC). GPS antenna is disconnected, and current measured on the splitter cable connector.

1. GPS splitter cable disconnected from OEM Head Unit:
a) Android running, no GPS app active: 0v
b) Waze running: 3.36v
c) Waze shut down: 0v

2. GPS antenna connected to both OEM and Android:
a) Ignition off, so Android is not running: 2.5v
b) Ignition on, before Android has started: 4.55v
c) OEM GPS running: 4.55v
d) Android Waze running: 4.55v, sometimes a small drop to 4.47v

Comments?

To me, an non-expert on current, it seems that Android is sensing when the GPS antenna is getting external power, and only when it is not, Android will send power through the cable. In that case, it assumes its own GPS antenna that requires 3.3-3.4v.

It seems then that when using the OEM GPS antenna, a splitter cable is a good thing, because the OEM antenna will be underpowered if it is not connected to the OEM Head Unit (3.36v vs 4.55v).

But, I'm no expert. What do they say on the Discord channel?

Last edited by Mjam; 10-26-2020 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      10-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #1732
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
I just measured current on the GPS splitter cable, Android 9 SD625, BMW E87 Navi Business (M-ASK or CCC). GPS antenna is disconnected, and current measured on the splitter cable connector.

1. GPS splitter cable disconnected from OEM Head Unit:
a) Android running, no GPS app active: 0v
b) Waze running: 3.36v
c) Waze shut down: 0v

2. GPS antenna connected to both OEM and Android:
a) Ignition off, so Android is not running: 2.5v
b) Ignition on, before Android has started: 4.55v
c) OEM GPS running: 4.55v
d) Android Waze running: 4.55v, sometimes a small drop to 4.47v

Comments?

To me, an non-expert on current, it seems that Android is sensing when the GPS antenna is getting external power, and only when it is not, Android will send power through the cable. In that case, it assumes its own GPS antenna that requires 3.3-3.4v.

It seems then that when using the OEM GPS antenna, a splitter cable is a good thing, because the OEM antenna will be underpowered if it is not connected to the OEM Head Unit (3.36v vs 4.55v).

But, I'm no expert. What do they say on the Discord channel?
Voltages do not add up in this way. When OEM unit is providing 4.55V Android can at the same time provide 3.36V. The GPS receiver will get whatever is the higher voltage. How this Chinese receiver will behave long term with higher voltages is unknown. It might be absolutely fine but without seeing the datasheet for it, no one can tell.

I highly doubt that Android unit has any feedback loop for measuring voltage on GPS receiver.
Appreciate 1
Mjam133.50
      10-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #1733
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Couple questions regarding the android setup, is there a way to map File Manager menu to open another file manager app not just ES File Explorer?

Also the hardware supports Bluetooth and calls app can connect to my phone but i am taken back when i go into the android settings under connectivity (NFC, Bluetooth) only to find this menu empty, i wanted to connect some other Bluetooth based devices

any suggestions?

I am running Android 10 Ksw-Q-S-Userdebug_OS_v2.0.9
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #1734
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
Couple questions regarding the android setup, is there a way to map File Manager menu to open another file manager app not just ES File Explorer?

Also the hardware supports Bluetooth and calls app can connect to my phone but i am taken back when i go into the android settings under connectivity (NFC, Bluetooth) only to find this menu empty, i wanted to connect some other Bluetooth based devices

any suggestions?

I am running Android 10 Ksw-Q-S-Userdebug_OS_v2.0.9
For remapping some of the shortcut look here, first post KswRedirect under tools: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1719625

As for Bluetooth it's locked on these units but we have a workaround that works in most cases... not always though. Details here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1436

Btw. all of this is linked up on the first page of this thread
Appreciate 1
vadimo310.00
      10-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #1735
CowSoft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Thats a known issue that govenor is set to performance since Android 10, but now known hot to change it (without additional tools) back.

I checked your listed folder, it does not exist, seems to be a "running" systemfile.

Kri
this works well, temp is lowering but I have no idea where to place this.
I tried /etc/init but no luck, it looks like ksw system is modifying this settings later.
The only idea I have is to create some app which will start after boot and do this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #1736
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

Bluetooth Keyboard

This is regarding Kri's post to get non-phone Bluetooth devices to connect:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26713116

The touchscreen keyboard is pretty annoying, so I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and was dissappointed when it didn't connect. Using the instructions above, I was able to connect. Before I did this I upgraded both the MCU and OS.

Headunit MCU Version: 023055dGS-CIC-GTL-DC-200805A
Android Version installed: Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v2.3.0
System Memory config.: 4/64
Device tried to connect: Bluetooth Keyboard OMOTON Tab A 10.1/8.0 2019 Keyboard
Bluetooth Connection successful: Yes
Comment:

I was even able to get it to connect somehow even after I re-enabled Bluetooth in the factory settings screen and restarting the unit. However, I haven't been able to repeat those results. I also think it may have messed with my bluetooth settings, because I had to remove my phone and re-pair it.

On longer roadtrips this might be fine, since I will likely be using my phone's hotspot and therefore wouldn't need bluetooth, but it's very annoying that Ksw locks the bluetooth. Why is that??

I tried to link to the keyboard I bought from Amazon, but the page doesn't come up anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #1737
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsch123 View Post
This is regarding Kri's post to get non-phone Bluetooth devices to connect:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26713116

The touchscreen keyboard is pretty annoying, so I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and was dissappointed when it didn't connect. Using the instructions above, I was able to connect. Before I did this I upgraded both the MCU and OS.

Headunit MCU Version: 023055dGS-CIC-GTL-DC-200805A
Android Version installed: Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v2.3.0
System Memory config.: 4/64
Device tried to connect: Bluetooth Keyboard OMOTON Tab A 10.1/8.0 2019 Keyboard
Bluetooth Connection successful: Yes
Comment:

I was even able to get it to connect somehow even after I re-enabled Bluetooth in the factory settings screen and restarting the unit. However, I haven't been able to repeat those results. I also think it may have messed with my bluetooth settings, because I had to remove my phone and re-pair it.

On longer roadtrips this might be fine, since I will likely be using my phone's hotspot and therefore wouldn't need bluetooth, but it's very annoying that Ksw locks the bluetooth. Why is that??

I tried to link to the keyboard I bought from Amazon, but the page doesn't come up anymore.
after having this android unit, i really appreciate why BMW system is better (couldn't afford to spend on latest ID6 system), UI design is optimised for user with quick menus and shortcuts, stuff just works and 3rd party apps that are available again optimised to run in the car
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #1738
paulkwia
Rep
Drives: BMW e93

USB DAC with digital output / Volume control

Hi, this is my first post here. I did some research already and couldn't find an answer. Recently I installed Android HU in BMW e93 dashboard. I think that hardware is the same that you use for F30, I even successfully updated it and rooted through tutorials posted here :-)

I connected this HU to external USB DAC through the digital output (spdif) to an external Alpine processor. It works very well, quality is amazing, however, the very important feature is missing - volume control from the steering wheel.

I really like the volume control on steering wheel, and since it's controlling the volume of the original BMW radio it doesn't work with this setup. Is there an option to change it to control the Android system volume instead, or control the original radio volume and Android HU at the same time?

Thanks, Paul
Appreciate 0