F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Will pdr work for this?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
jcordier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Will pdr work for this?

Last night I was pulling into a two car garage and accidentally hit the trash cans and dented the rear quarter panel. I was wondering if anybody knows if PDR would get rid of this.
Attached Images

05-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
rlmesq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Your PDR person will probably have to inspect it in person to be sure.

That's going to be a tough spot to reach from behind. My PDR guy is amazing, but sometimes even he can't tell if he will be able to do something until he just starts working.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
ProjectBoost
Mod addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black AWD N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
My PDR guy is amazing, but sometimes even he can't tell if he will be able to do something until he just starts working.
This is true.
      05-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
scottmoyer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

If you haven't gotten this fixed yet, I would say that it is doable with PDR. Old school PDR would attempt it from through the trunk, but newer techniques could be simpler. Another option for the tech would be to use a glue puller and work it completely from the outside. Unfortunately, most PDR people will take a shortcut and want to drill a hole in the door jamb.

One thing I know for sure is that any holes in the door jamb will get the car marked with "structural damage" at resale. I used to do PDR on BMWs at the auction in Orlando and that's what they did 15 years ago. Not sure about today, but BMW would not allow for holes. When marked "structural damage", they sold for less.
      05-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
jcordier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
If you haven't gotten this fixed yet, I would say that it is doable with PDR. Old school PDR would attempt it from through the trunk, but newer techniques could be simpler. Another option for the tech would be to use a glue puller and work it completely from the outside. Unfortunately, most PDR people will take a shortcut and want to drill a hole in the door jamb.

One thing I know for sure is that any holes in the door jamb will get the car marked with "structural damage" at resale. I used to do PDR on BMWs at the auction in Orlando and that's what they did 15 years ago. Not sure about today, but BMW would not allow for holes. When marked "structural damage", they sold for less.
I ended up getting it fixed but there's a line that's still noticeable if you know that it was there. It's funny you mentioned that some people would want to drill a hole in the side of the door. That's exactly why I didn't go through one company. I did however get it removed a long with all of the little door dings, but as you can see there's still a line between the wheel weld and the crease of the body. I was thinking I should take it somewhere else and see if they could fix that, but I just paid quite a bit for this to be done, so I'm assuming it's probably as best as it can get. I feel like the person doing it was younger so they might not of had as much experience as somebody doing pdr for 20 years or more. But I'm not quite sure. Do you think somebody else could even get it to look better than it does now?
Attached Images