F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Chlorox wipe on my seat ruined the color
proTUNING Freaks

05-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Last night my puppy puked on my seat, so I decided to clean it up with a chlorox wipe. I thought it worked well until I woke up this morning to notice there's a line straight across. I've tried smart leather cleaner and bmw leather lotion. Neither of them have been able to get rid of the stain. And bmw quoted me 2k to replace the leather. Does anybody know what else I could try to get rid of this discoloring?
Attached Images

05-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's not a stain, the bleach removed some of the dye in the leather. You can try to re-dye it. Since it's black at least the color shouldn't be hard to match. Google 'leather dye'.
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      05-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's not a stain, the bleach removed some of the dye in the leather. You can try to re-dye it. Since it's black at least the color shouldn't be hard to match. Google 'leather dye'.
Thank you. I'm thinking I might take it to a leather repair place and have them do it. Since knowing me I would just make it worse lol.
      05-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What they'd probably do is to strip the protective top coating from the entire seat with acetone, re-stain the entire seat to get the color uniform, then re-apply top coating.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I would recommend trying warm water with a mf towel first and see if it will make any difference at all. I would recommend you a leather cleaner, but it might be a massive trial and error by the time a product could work. If you go to walmart I would pick up either a Meguiar's or Mother's leather cleaner product and see what it can do and it will be very cheap. Leatherique set is the best at cleaning, but you also don't have true leather so I'm not sure what the results will yield. You always want to start with the least aggressive method first and move up. I do not think you'll need to dye the seats until you try a few alternatives first.
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      06-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I would recommend trying warm water with a mf towel first and see if it will make any difference at all. I would recommend you a leather cleaner, but it might be a massive trial and error by the time a product could work. If you go to walmart I would pick up either a Meguiar's or Mother's leather cleaner product and see what it can do and it will be very cheap. Leatherique set is the best at cleaning, but you also don't have true leather so I'm not sure what the results will yield. You always want to start with the least aggressive method first and move up. I do not think you'll need to dye the seats until you try a few alternatives first.
So far I've tried water, bmw leather lotion, meguiars and smart leather which is part of the smart wax/wash box. I really don't want to have to use dye either. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind
      06-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
So far I've tried water, bmw leather lotion, meguiars and smart leather which is part of the smart wax/wash box. I really don't want to have to use dye either. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind
If you have a leather cleaning brush that would be helpful as well to put any leather cleaner into full effect. 1Z Cockpit interior cleaner is a good option, but only buy it if you are willing to do some trial and error. A proper leather brush should help a good amount.
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      06-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
If you have a leather cleaning brush that would be helpful as well to put any leather cleaner into full effect. 1Z Cockpit interior cleaner is a good option, but only buy it if you are willing to do some trial and error. A proper leather brush should help a good amount.
Thank you! I really think that might help a lot. I'm gonna order one now.
      06-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
expl0de
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d and e92 320i

It's hardly visible, use BMW leather lotion and forget about it. Any dye will look more off.
Appreciate 3