F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Door Creaking Noises from Rubber Seal
ARMA SPEED

09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post
what if you trying taking it out and see if you can isolate source from rattling?

please let us know the results!
im trying to find the source of one rattle from passanger side! ill look if this is the source.
Wow dude, me taking out the headliner and stuff? No way I don't have the time, tools or skills. What I'm good at is stuffing s%^t into holes, cracks and hoping the cricket dies from hypoxia lol

You guys should try and pull down that handle and see if that helps. Maybe your problem is different.
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Seems like many people have this issue.

So turns out it's the door seal. Is there any way it can be permanently fixed or do we need to apply lubrication regularly?

Would replacing them help?

dL
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

Like I posted in another thread on the issue (the threads should be merged, btw), I have suffered the problem and the dealer finally solved it by replacing the seals. I just picked it up today and it is dead quiet, but I am not sure if it will last.

Brief history goes like this: I first heard signs of it when picking up the car after a complimentary detailing at the dealers (as compensation for some other things).
I asked the dealer for advice and was told to use silicone. Which made it worse. The dealer then tried on two occasions to get rid of the problem by cleaining the seals and using silicone remover (as well as applying the special BMW seal lubricant). Nothing helped - it sounded worse than ever.

Finally they ordered new seals (both interior door seals and the ones at the top of the doors). According to the dealer, changing the interior seals helped a bit but changing the top seals was the main thing to get rid of the sound.

At this point I am personally interested in knowing what might be causing the problem (so I can avoid it happening a second time). But I would advise anyone not able to get rid of the problem to demand new seals.

Clearly they are either of inferior quality OR we are not being given enough information on how to care for them.
      10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Like I posted in another thread on the issue (the threads should be merged, btw), I have suffered the problem and the dealer finally solved it by replacing the seals. I just picked it up today and it is dead quiet, but I am not sure if it will last.

Brief history goes like this: I first heard signs of it when picking up the car after a complimentary detailing at the dealers (as compensation for some other things).
I asked the dealer for advice and was told to use silicone. Which made it worse. The dealer then tried on two occasions to get rid of the problem by cleaining the seals and using silicone remover (as well as applying the special BMW seal lubricant). Nothing helped - it sounded worse than ever.

Finally they ordered new seals (both interior door seals and the ones at the top of the doors). According to the dealer, changing the interior seals helped a bit but changing the top seals was the main thing to get rid of the sound.

At this point I am personally interested in knowing what might be causing the problem (so I can avoid it happening a second time). But I would advise anyone not able to get rid of the problem to demand new seals.

Clearly they are either of inferior quality OR we are not being given enough information on how to care for them.
Good to know! Thanks man!
      10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Hello,

I have this really annoying b-pillar door area creaking noises that occur whenever I go over even the slightest road imperfections. It's like body flexing, plastic creaking noises.

If some of you guys had this already, was the dealership able to fix it for you? If so, what seems to be the problem?

dL
Yes! I have the same thing! Friggin terrible!

I already had it in to the dealership and they were just like "oh it must be coming from the rear window, we'll adjust it"….they did but the sound is still there.

It's friggin annoying as hell. I am gonna have to live with it….but for this money it sucks ass.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #28
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Yes! I have the same thing! Friggin terrible!

I already had it in to the dealership and they were just like "oh it must be coming from the rear window, we'll adjust it"….they did but the sound is still there.

It's friggin annoying as hell. I am gonna have to live with it….but for this money it sucks ass.
It is not normal and you do not have to live with it. If your car is under warranty, demand that they fix the issue. Compare your car to other similar models at the dealer. If they do not creak, why should yours?
      11-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #29
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is not normal and you do not have to live with it. If your car is under warranty, demand that they fix the issue. Compare your car to other similar models at the dealer. If they do not creak, why should yours?
The loaner I got when I had mine in being looked at creaked and rattled....but in differnt places.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

We probably all have slightly differnt problems but when I crack my rear window just a little, liek not even enough for the glass to get below the weatehr stripping, the creaking noise subsides a little.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Quote:

Thanks for this to me this is exactly the problem and fix
      11-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

This is interesting to me for a couple reasons....the one thing, I only hear it on the passenger side of the car. Also, when I crack the rear passenger window, just a tiny bit, the noise is significantly reduced. So it sure seEms like seals is a legitimate cause

Last edited by jtuds; 11-02-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is interesting to me for a couple reasons....the one thing, I only heR it on the passenger side of the car. Also, when I crack the rear passenger window, just a tiny bit, the noise is significantly reduced. So it sure seEms like seals is a legitimate cause
I would just like to add that despite the outside seals (on the top of the doors) being the main culprit, my creaking also went away completely if I opened the windows slightly. My theory is that when the windows are open the doors themselves can flex more so the seals do not have to move against the body and shadowline time (which is what causes the creaking).

All the loaners I have had during the last year (have had many problems = many loaners) have been quiet. My father has a F30 going on a year+ and his is completely quiet. They can be quiet and they should be.
      11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #34
123rc123
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Luxury Line

I don't have any major problems with rattling, I think the suspension in my car squeaks a bit when i hit a huge pothole; something I've noticed on other cars. But that's about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #35
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got all 4 door seals replaced and the noise is still there but quieter lol. I am at a loss of words.

I always get cars with rattle and creaks. Sigh.

dL
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #36
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Guys, I had this same issue on my e90 when I got it. I started to lubricate the rubber moldings around the doors and it went away using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I make this a quarterly routine during a detail. Never had any problems since and this also smells great.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #37
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Had this on a f10, i suggest you ensure you do not have any polish on the metal that meets where the rubber sills are, also apply gummipflede to the rubber seals. Make sure you do not apply any silocon based products either. I suspect if you wind down the window by 1 or 2mm the noise will go away aswell. It could also be coming from where the seatbelt comes out of the b pillar as well potentially ( i dont have a dix for that)
Had to use Gummi Pflege periodically since my E46 days.

Last edited by snowghost; 02-01-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #38
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Using Gummi Pflege or a similar product is part of routine maintenance on any car. Always has been.

For everyone with squeaks, what are you using on the paint in your door jambs?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #39
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Every time i go over a speed bump or have rough road, I hear creaks in the dash, driver side door area, as well as the side of the center console my leg touches...These cars were really not thoughtfully put together.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #40
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Are the door seals that people are lubricating the rubber that lines the edge of the door and the runner that lines the area where the door closes?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #41
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Are the door seals that people are lubricating the rubber that lines the edge of the door and the runner that lines the area where the door closes?
ALL rubber weatherstripping. Around doors, hood seals, trunk seals. Everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #42
DW999
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I had this problem when I picked up the car and after about a week I couldn't take it anymore.

Took the car into service and they told me it was a common problem here in Taiwan.

They added a clear tape onto the frame of the car where the rubber gaskets on the door touch the frame.

Its been over 1 month now, and no noise. So I guess the root cause of this was the rubber gasket rubbing against the metal frame when the body flexes causing squeaking noises.

I don't know how accurate this is, but the tech told me that this was not a problem for BMW before as most came with a felt type liner where the door would touch the frame. After the F series cars came out they changed to rubber (could be wrong about this).

But for now, the noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #43
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW999 View Post
I had this problem when I picked up the car and after about a week I couldn't take it anymore.

Took the car into service and they told me it was a common problem here in Taiwan.

They added a clear tape onto the frame of the car where the rubber gaskets on the door touch the frame.

Its been over 1 month now, and no noise. So I guess the root cause of this was the rubber gasket rubbing against the metal frame when the body flexes causing squeaking noises.

I don't know how accurate this is, but the tech told me that this was not a problem for BMW before as most came with a felt type liner where the door would touch the frame. After the F series cars came out they changed to rubber (could be wrong about this).

But for now, the noise is gone!
Yeah, the dealership I go to is notorious for their terrible service na dnot really trying to rectify problems. But they did at least locate the issue to the seals and they have added lubricant to the seals which definitely helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #44
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Changed the title for more accurate representation of this problem. I am very surprised this isn't as popular as the wind noise.

Conclusion for my case: Bring it to a dealership that cares.

The first one denied as they blamed me for using some solutions to clean it, even though I did not. The second one was much nicer and replaced all 4 seals and have pretty much eliminated the issue. Though I won't be surprised if it comes back again, knowing our cars have worse quality than a Hyundai.

dL
Appreciate 0