F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Door Creaking Noises from Rubber Seal
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #45
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

This usually manifests itself for folks who keep their cars very clean. Conditioner on the seals and wax in the door jambs will correct it.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #46
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I have noticed some rattling as well, coming from the top of the door. I think it's from the window hitting the window seal, or at least they are rubbing. Not sure it's the door seal. I cracked the window open and I can't hear it but it may be because of wind noise... I'll try that gummi pfledge stuff, but the clear tape on the frame idea is pretty good too. I'll try using some masking tape there as a test.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #47
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
This usually manifests itself for folks who keep their cars very clean. Conditioner on the seals and wax in the door jambs will correct it.
Probably true as I clean mine every week. I have the rattling again having not Gummi Pflege'd in a few months.
      02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #48
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Probably true as I clean mine every week. I have the rattling again having not Gummi Pflege'd in a few months.
Used the Pfledge on the outer seals for the first time yesterday. It was extremely easy and made it look brand new. I haven't driven enough to determine if the creeping reduced though.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #49
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

I use Einszett Gummi Pflege Stick. I did applied everytime after washing, then it came back after 2 weeks and i applied again like 3 x in total. Now its all but gone.
      02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #50
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
I have noticed some rattling as well, coming from the top of the door. I think it's from the window hitting the window seal, or at least they are rubbing. Not sure it's the door seal. I cracked the window open and I can't hear it but it may be because of wind noise... I'll try that gummi pfledge stuff, but the clear tape on the frame idea is pretty good too. I'll try using some masking tape there as a test.
That's the door seal creak. You don't hear it because the window isn't giving pressure anymore to the top portion of the door.

When do you hear that noise?

Try some gummi stuff on the top of the door seal trim (inside part facing towards the interior) and it should go away for a few weeks or months.

Sucks we have to do this crap periodically. I think only BMW have this problem, unless someone else with a different brand can jump in on this.

dL
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #51
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I drive a E90 M3 and I, like many others, have been suffering from this issue since 500 miles 3 years ago. I cannot believe that BMW STILL has not fixed this issue after so many years. My car had a sticker price of 78k and for that kind of a price, something like this is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that there is a service bulletin out (or there has been since 2008 apparently) and all they can do is applying teflon tape to door seals. I took my car in 6 times to 3 dealerships over the course of 3 years and the issue always returned after 1-2 weeks.

I was hoping the new M3 wouldn't have this problem, but it looks like it will too. This is such an annoying and embarrassing problem to have, when people are in your 80k car and it starts squeaking all over the place, they can't help make fun of you and they have every right to do so.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #52
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
That's the door seal creak. You don't hear it because the window isn't giving pressure anymore to the top portion of the door.

Try some gummi stuff on the top of the door seal trim (inside part facing towards the interior) and it should go away for a few weeks or months.

Sucks we have to do this crap periodically. I think only BMW have this problem, unless someone else with a different brand can jump in on this.

dL
I hear it all the time now. Even on relatively smooth pavement (a rarity in the 3rd world roads we have). It definitely got worse a few months after buying the car. I do wash it every once in a while, like maybe every 2-3 weeks, but I keep the doors closed and I don't wash the seals. Could be the winter cold too. It's a rattle, not an "creak". It sounds like something is banging instead of rubbing.

So where do you say I have to apply the gummi stuff? I thought I had to apply it all over the rubber seal but you're saying to apply it on the trim?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #53
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

dL
Gummi works, but it only works for 1-2 weeks. I have already gone through 2 bottles of it after giving up.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #54
lsutiger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSport, 2001 330i

Easy way to recreate creaking noise.

While I have yet to come up with a solution I am able to easily recreate the "creak" by pushing down on these to spots on the rear window (see pic). This will at least make it easier to recreate the problem for the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #55
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is silent, for now. Though at times in extreme flexing situations, it will replicate. But this is only because I have it replaced.

The 303 aerosol is a great product to keep it protected and clean. What I have learned is, once it creaks, there is no cure. What I have also learned is, the more you treat the rubber, the worse it gets. It's best to just leave it and not let anyone touch it if it doesn't make noise.

Just never, ever put anything other than Gummi and 303 aerosol near the door seal. Never get your detailers touch that as well.

Bring it to the dealership and let them apply their version of Gummi. It will be quiet for 1-2 weeks. Just keep going back until it's fixed. Annoy the crap out of them. Or let them apply the Teflon tape, though I don't think my dealership has done that yet. And I am pretty sure this noise will come back to me and I will bug them again.

Keep in mind, never mention you apply anything or they may deny your warranty on that. And if they do, simply head to another dealership.

This is honestly an embarrassment and is the reason why I may go for a coupe or gran coupe next. At least this problem won't exist!

dL
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #56
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

Same here. Had mine replaced under warranty early fall 2013. Still quiet. Although I do fear it will come back with warmer temperatures nearer summer.

I will likely also have detailing / reconditioning done in the spring after our horrendous winter weather. I am a bit worried the detailing firm might make it worse by applying products too close to the seals on the roof where the seals rest. Anyone know if this might be a part of the problem?
      02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #57
lsutiger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

This morning I cleaned the roof area where the top door seals touch with rubbing alcohol. Immediate got rid of the creak (at least for now).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #58
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

For this reason alone I'll never get another F30 again. Thank goodness they came out with the 4GC and I'll gladly pay a premium over the F30 to eliminate this potential noise and to eliminate this ugly looking door seal design that makes your car look so cheap.

Only BMW would do something stupid like this. I have not seen any brand, not even a Hyundai Accent that has such a large piece of door seal above the door without some trim covering it.

Unless you have a scientific explanation to justify it, but doubtful since it's also prone to wind noise lolol.

dL
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #59
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
For this reason alone I'll never get another F30 again. Thank goodness they came out with the 4GC and I'll gladly pay a premium over the F30 to eliminate this potential noise and to eliminate this ugly looking door seal design that makes your car look so cheap.

Only BMW would do something stupid like this. I have not seen any brand, not even a Hyundai Accent that has such a large piece of door seal above the door without some trim covering it.

Unless you have a scientific explanation to justify it, but doubtful since it's also prone to wind noise lolol.

dL
So did you buy your current car in the dark? This is a pretty ridiculous statement.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #60
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:

dL
So did you buy your current car in the dark? This is a pretty ridiculous statement.
No I did not when I initially bought it. I knew about it and thought meh whatever because it is integrated so well. When I got the car, the door seals were perfect.

When I need to get it replaced due to excessive creaking, the dealership could not find a seal from BMW that doesn't come scratched. They have tried 5 sets and they all come scratched. I have yet to give up but am afraid I don't have much choice.

Worst yet, it was never assembled as clean as factory, but close (it took them numerous attempts). Now I understand BMW's commitment on quality.

To most of you, door seal probably means nothing. To me, every detail matters.

I have learned my lesson about this car and will make an informative and educated decision next time around to avoid matters like such. Frameless windows would solve it, or a 5 series and up.

For this reason alone, I continue to stand by my strong statement.

dL
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #61
lsutiger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just so we are clear. The door seal that is visible from the outside of the car is not the cause of the creaking (at least not in my case). My e46 has the same door seal (visible from the outside) and it has never been a problem (13 years old). Something is going on with the door seal that is not visible. The big seal that is on on top of the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #62
hmc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i ZSP+ZMT

A picture would help
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #63
lsutiger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

alright. so the rubbing alcohol only lasted about a week. creaking returned. cleaned again with rubbing alcohol and creak again went away.

i was planning on waiting until my car needed service or some other repair before complaining about the creaking but i'm thinking it may warrant a service department visit all on its own.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #64
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I don't get it on the doors as much, but my moonroof creaks like crazy. Honestly, it's like a wooden pirate ship on some days.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #65
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I drive a E90 M3 and I, like many others, have been suffering from this issue since 500 miles 3 years ago. I cannot believe that BMW STILL has not fixed this issue after so many years. My car had a sticker price of 78k and for that kind of a price, something like this is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that there is a service bulletin out (or there has been since 2008 apparently) and all they can do is applying teflon tape to door seals. I took my car in 6 times to 3 dealerships over the course of 3 years and the issue always returned after 1-2 weeks.

I was hoping the new M3 wouldn't have this problem, but it looks like it will too. This is such an annoying and embarrassing problem to have, when people are in your 80k car and it starts squeaking all over the place, they can't help make fun of you and they have every right to do so.

I was reading this thread and it is depressing since I find noises the most annoying. I was considering the new M3 but you just put a dent into my plans. What the heck is going on BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #66
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep

It is safe to conclude that a replacement of the seal only improves the noise, but does not eliminate it. I still hear very minor creaking, but only in extreme circumstances where I go up a somewhat steep ramp at 45 degrees slowly, and I carefully listen for it. I am hopeful that by the time it worsen again, I would have swapped it for a 4 series or something without a frame.

I also heard this on a brand new 2014 loaner X3 with barely any miles on it, so it is definitely not exclusive to the F30.

Dealership said it's normal to have a bit of creaking since the body is flexing more so as I have my car lowered. BS or truth?

dL
Appreciate 0