F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sliding the F30 / 320
ARMA SPEED

03-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #23
F30Unit
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Yea it was aggressive and it was meant to be. You don't seem like you have even the basic theory down, let alone any of the practical knowledge, and certainly none of the skill required.
it's an expensive thing to get in to as well, I don't know what rims and tires you have on yours, but the 330i has low pro 18 inch tires, looking at about a grand for a set, and you'll easily be blowing through a set a year if you start driving hard, let alone drifting.
Look up the video I suggested and check actual driving course videos, underpowered means you'll have to work at the upper limits of speed to get it sideways, or really thrash it hard. More power makes it easier to get sideways at more easily manageable speeds, which lessens the chance of something catastrophic happening because of your lack of knowledge and ability.
I've been driving since I was 15, I'm just under 40 now, and I have drifted every vehicle I've owned to gain the knowledge and ability I have(at least 10 different vehicles), and it definitely wouldn't hurt me to take a driving course to learn more.

Watch Initial D as well, it may be just some anime series, but keiichi tsuchiya was the consultant for the show, so it's not all hot air and guesswork.
okey...thanks for all the input.

First off you are throwing me off a little, I am here to gain knowledge only.
Then you say things like you drift every car you own, which I never claimed I did anything similar, and you give me shit about safety?

Anyways this pos tclearly says 320 in the title not a 330 which again I dont get you throwing the expensive phrase. I know the value of this car dont worry, but for you knowledge in the states this car is priced used like a mazda and a honda and is looked down on for its hp, while I think its a great car, considering cars I previously drove and owned.

Just caolm down bruh geez, one cant ask a single question in peace, really seems like you on here to tell me about your driving skills than help. so again, thank you, you can move on to another post in peace.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #24
F30Unit
Private
Rep

DELETE

@ADMIN]

you can delete this post lmao
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #25
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
CA, bahahahahahahahah I'll bet you are stuck on oberlin.

Please leave.
I genuinely had to look that place up.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:12 AM   #26
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

I only mention that I have a 330 because it's only a step up from yours and not an M3, which would be much easier to throw around.
I mention that I drifted every vehicle I've owned because it's a learned skill, you don't just go out and drift around corners without knowing some basic car control. You know, barring being a naturally talented person in a field, everyone has to work at honing their skills.
If the car isn't expensive for you, than by all means, get off the internet and into an empty parking lot and start practicing, go buy some crap tires to practice with, some junk rims for when you curb it, and new suspension and might as well go get an appropriate LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #27
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

You two gonna race for pinks or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 3
tex26702411.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #28
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
I only mention that I have a 330 because it's only a step up from yours and not an M3, which would be much easier to throw around.
I mention that I drifted every vehicle I've owned because it's a learned skill, you don't just go out and drift around corners without knowing some basic car control. You know, barring being a naturally talented person in a field, everyone has to work at honing their skills.
If the car isn't expensive for you, than by all means, get off the internet and into an empty parking lot and start practicing, go buy some crap tires to practice with, some junk rims for when you curb it, and new suspension and might as well go get an appropriate LSD.
Sounds about right 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #29
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
You two gonna race for pinks or what?
I'm down for a push race, while the car is in neutral....
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #30
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Lol not sure but I think the car will auto switch to park if you're in neutral and open the door. It does it for drive if you're under a certain speed. it's a rough way to stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #31
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedturbo View Post
Noob question over here, but for years I drove a fwd, and during the high school days I'd do the occasional e brake rips, or would turn off traction systems and get a Chevy Cruze �� to "slide" for a bit.

My thing is, I know for something like an m3, giving it a little gas while making a left turn for example will kick the rear out. I see with the 320 with it's limited power, I wasn't able to fully do this. Got it to slide a little once, but it overcorrected to the other side.

Was hoping to get some more knowledge on this, so I don't hug a pole one day��
If you are looking not to hug a pole, I have a sure fire way to avoid that.

Seriously, save your drifting for the track.

Quote:
I am not doing anything dangerous on the streets, and IF i were to do anything im doing it with no one around so Im the only liability.
Then why are you worried about hugging a pole?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #32
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your worthless answer. Also you drive an xdrive gtfo, I was asking for how rwd should be treated. Go, go slide in the snow bruv
Not sure how long you've been a member here. You may have missed this:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/an....php?f=373&a=2

Quote:
1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Derogatory or insulting remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.
Quote:
3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names Disagreements are awesome, and you should call someone on something you don't agree with, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      03-08-2020, 05:09 AM   #33
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
https://bondurant.com/
Driving school.
Don't goof around trying to learn on your own, in public, because that's a good way to hurt other people.
      03-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #34
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Driving school.
Don't goof around trying to learn on your own, in public, because that's a good way to hurt other people.
I like the part about calling mother all sorts of names, lol. Those statements can start a WAR...
tex26702411.00
      03-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #35
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
I like the part about calling mother all sorts of names, lol. Those statements can start a WAR...
Huh?
      03-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #36
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Your best option is to either go to a track with a closed off drift area or find a completely empty parking lot that doesn't have any curbs and just give it a try with traction control completely off as others have stated. Or tune your 320i and get a feel for it. I can't speak on the 320i cause i've never driven one and I don't know how the power feels. Just throwing my input in here because it seems a lot of people got off on the wrong foot in this thread. It's your car OP at the end of the day, do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #37
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Driving school.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #38
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Huh?
Look at #3 of the Admins rules in a prior post, mentions about calling his mother names, etc..

Anyways, getting off track to the OP's post, so don't want this to drag on, lol..
      03-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #39
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

It's not just the power in an M3 that makes it easier to kick the tail out. Suspension setup and LSD play a big role. If your car is stock, it's designed to NOT be tail-happy. Most mass market cars are designed for the lowest common denominator in driver skill; base model BMWs are no different. You can make it easier to get oversteer with some changes in setup. Stock open diff does us no favors, but installing an LSD might be cost-prohibitive. Crappy, low grip econo tires will break loose more easily, but you'll suffer consequences in daily driving.

Increasing driver skill is going to be the best "mod" you can do. Proper instruction in a closed, controlled environment will help towards getting you familiar with the limits of your car and how to handle it when you push past those limits. And as others have alluded to, pushing past the limits on public roads is at best irresponsible and most likely illegal, at worst dangerous to you and others you share the road with.
      03-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #40
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The lack of professional instruction is very evident in those Youtube videos of people trying to impress bystanders with their driving "skilz" while leaving a car show. Funny to watch though..
      03-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #41
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The lack of professional instruction is very evident in those Youtube videos of people trying to impress bystanders with their driving "skilz" while leaving a car show. Funny to watch though..
Yup, they bought about 3/4 more car than they could handle and none of the common sense to know it. You don't do next to no playing and then go to a car show and think 'ya know what, I got this......' lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #42
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Why not pickup a used Miata for like $5k and race it out? Not your daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0