F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Plug and Play Amp upgrade for Base Audio system
GetBMWParts

04-23-2022, 02:59 AM   #89
inigoale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 328d 150cv lci

hello.
Continuing with the theme of the vibe 65.4 amplifier, I have it mounted with an android screen, some eton b100w speakers and encoded to hifi. It sounds very good, but the subwoofers are barely noticeable, another colleague has the same thing as me but with the subwoofers also changed and does not notice the bass either.
Consulting an installer, he told us that when you connect everything by plug&play, the bass also comes out through the doors, hence when you turn up the volume, the door speakers creak, so you have to separate them from the subwoofers, so I recommend place the powerbox 400.1 to separate the subwoofers.
I told vibe and they confirmed it. In addition, by placing this 400.1 amplifier, you could put 2-ohm subwoofers, which from what they say, sound louder than 4-ohm ones, which you can't with the 65.4.
now I am soundproofing the doors and the next step will be to install the powerbox 400.1
I have to wait a bit to do it.
I'll mention it if anyone still doesn't notice much bass and the door speakers creak.
Regards.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:30 AM   #90
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep
Drives: W205 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierownik View Post
Has anyone used Vibe Optosound under seat subwoofers and can say something about them?
I'm thinking about buying those together with pnp Powerbox65.4M
I really want to upgrade my subs without breaking the bank and that combo seems promising.
Bit late to reply, but yea I did the underseat subs at the same time. Bass is a little better, but after living with it for a while, not worth the outlay and time over the stock ones IMO. Wouldn’t do it again and put the £135 elsewhere.

I’d imagine adding the dedicated sub amp (440.1) from Vibe would make them come alive though.

Still very happy with the upgrade though for what it’s cost, I’m not “missing” HK from previous f30 anyways

Last edited by pwaf13; 04-23-2022 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #91
wataroo
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigoale View Post
hello.
Continuing with the theme of the vibe 65.4 amplifier, I have it mounted with an android screen, some eton b100w speakers and encoded to hifi. It sounds very good, but the subwoofers are barely noticeable, another colleague has the same thing as me but with the subwoofers also changed and does not notice the bass either.
Consulting an installer, he told us that when you connect everything by plug&play, the bass also comes out through the doors, hence when you turn up the volume, the door speakers creak, so you have to separate them from the subwoofers, so I recommend place the powerbox 400.1 to separate the subwoofers.
I told vibe and they confirmed it. In addition, by placing this 400.1 amplifier, you could put 2-ohm subwoofers, which from what they say, sound louder than 4-ohm ones, which you can't with the 65.4.
now I am soundproofing the doors and the next step will be to install the powerbox 400.1
I have to wait a bit to do it.
I'll mention it if anyone still doesn't notice much bass and the door speakers creak.
Regards.
Have you installed your powerbox 400.1? Would be interested in the outcome as well as where you installed it and the cabling. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #92
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m sport 4 series

Does anyone know what is the spec for the base subwoofer i want to know what amp to install juat dedicated to the subs for just bass
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #93
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's only a 6.5 inch and not a particularly good one, so additional power won't get that good of a result. Replace them with 8 inch Earthquakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #94
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's only a 6.5 inch and not a particularly good one, so additional power won't get that good of a result. Replace them with 8 inch Earthquakes.
Do you have a link for them please

But still does anyone know the specs for the stock ones
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #95
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sportsline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt11990 View Post

Earthquakes 2 ohm:

http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...s/sws-8xi.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 11:03 PM   #96
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW doesn't list them. I only know the specs for the OEM Hi-Fi woofers because I measured mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 04:15 AM   #97
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigoale View Post
hello.
You can still improve base a bit by changing the Hifi-coding settings. I'm running on 'config' 3, done with BimmerCode 'advanced settings'.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #98
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
BMW doesn't list them. I only know the specs for the OEM Hi-Fi woofers because I measured mine.
What is the specs of the woofers u measured
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 07:23 AM   #99
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep
Drives: W205 C63

Trying out the B&O coding at the moment with the 65.4 paired with vibe door and underseat replacements and it’s pretty good. Sounds (to me) nicer than HiFi coding
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #100
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sportsline

Quote:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=55
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #101
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They won't do you any good, being for the Hi-Fi 8", not the Base 6.5".
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #102
topnutta
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyvtec View Post
Hi all, this isn’t a question, more a very simple solution I have found that I’d like to share and hopefully make someone’s life a little easier and their crap base audio system sound a little better.

Firstly, I’m not affiliated with Vibe. I’m just a guy with an F30 that has base audio and got to the stage where I wouldn’t listen to music because the sound system was crap.

I’ve seen a lot of threads in a lot of different forums talking about what upgrade can you do and what coding and wiring do they need to do so. I’ve researched the hell out of this so here’s my two cents for you all.

I just bought a Vibe Powerbox 65.4M with BMW T harness. It took about 25 minutes to fit. I had to remove the head unit so that meant removing some trim which was really only 6 torx head T15 (vids on YouTube of course). It came with clear and concise instructions so your technical level doesn’t need to be that high to hook it up. I placed the amp under the glove box between the underside of the glove box and the removable panel. It fit like a dream and no visible wires with enough room for it to breath.

I used BimmerCode to change my head unit EQ range to HiFi

As someone who’s always had good sound systems and was horrified by the quality of the base audio system, I can tell you that this upgrade is the best €210 I’ve spent. It powers the 4 door speakers and the two sub ls with no extra wiring.

Running the stock speakers, the difference is nuts. Although if you push them hard enough, they will crackle. I had to fine tune with gain on the amp for front and rear and mess with some settings on my Apple Music EQ but after that it’s just a matter of adjusting your bass and volume settings through your idrive sound options depending on what you listen to.

All in all this was a very simple and effective upgrade to a very lacklustre sound system. I’d recommend it to anyone and I hope this post does someone some good.
I have a 2018 F36 with an ENTRYNAV2, i took a punt and purchased this amp based on your comments and could not be happier. I didn't change the EQ range as the default actually gives me a much greater sound. Thank you, I've been looking all over for an easy upgrade and it doesn't come much easier than this

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #103
Codders
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320d F30

Hey guys,
I recently upgraded my base system with Vibe amp + a set of vibe front door speakers with their underseat woofers.
Everything works perfect, except when I scanned the car for fault codes the following show up and keep returning:

B7F821: Loudspeaker output lines, front left: line interruption

B7F825: Speaker output lines front right: line interruption

B7F829: Loudspeaker output lines, rear left: line interruption

B7F82D: Speaker output cables rear right: line interruption

I believe this started after plugging the amp with dedicated loom provided by Vibe.

Have you had similar issue after installation of optisound 65.4?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:15 PM   #104
Lukeh112
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d f30

Sorry to bring up an old post.

I just recently tried to install the vibe powerbox.

It made a big difference to the sound of the base system but when it was installed I couldn’t get no Bluetooth audio. I just kept getting please wait.

Tried to pair with the headunit via my iPhone but the connection just wasn’t showing.

I removed the t harness and put the original quad lock back into the headunit and then my Bluetooth audio streaming appeared again.

Any ideas how I can sort this as ideally I’d like to use the amp.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:21 PM   #105
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeh112 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post.

I just recently tried to install the vibe powerbox.

It made a big difference to the sound of the base system but when it was installed I couldn’t get no Bluetooth audio. I just kept getting please wait.

Tried to pair with the headunit via my iPhone but the connection just wasn’t showing.

I removed the t harness and put the original quad lock back into the headunit and then my Bluetooth audio streaming appeared again.

Any ideas how I can sort this as ideally I’d like to use the amp.

Thanks.
Sorry man, never ran in to that issue so I’m no help really. I’d guess and say maybe something up with the T Harness but I could be really wrong there. I’d contact Vibe directly. They’re pretty swift to reply on WhatsApp. Either that or contact where you bought it. Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 03:35 AM   #106
Lukeh112
Registered
Rep

Thanks mate. Il give them a message now.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 06:06 AM   #107
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:

Base audio underseat are 4 ohms. Power rating not stated but going by weight and magnet size these would be a low powered driver. Suspect 30-40 watts max. The most they get power wise in base audio is 25watts where the ASD module runs as the amp.

Base woofer at bottom of photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 07:41 AM   #108
Lukeh112
Registered
Rep

This is the reply from vibe regarding the amp and no Bluetooth

Hi there

You have not moved the optical cable (black and green cable with red light coming out) from the factory harness to the T harness

Is it easy to take the cables outta the harness as I don’t want to knacker the wiring
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 07:50 AM   #109
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeh112 View Post
This is the reply from vibe regarding the amp and no Bluetooth

Hi there

You have not moved the optical cable (black and green cable with red light coming out) from the factory harness to the T harness

Is it easy to take the cables outta the harness as I don’t want to knacker the wiring
Now, it’s been a while since I did it but as I remember when I got mine originally I just removed the head unit and followed the instructions in the box to install the harness and as far as I can remember, I didn’t have to move any optical cable(I could be wrong). To the best of my knowledge, it’s plugged in to the back of the head unit and the Bluetooth antenna is somewhere down by the gear lever. I’m not an auto sparky so I wouldn’t offer any real advice on what to do maybe other than to get back to vibe and ask them directly. They have an installation video on YouTube but I think it’s for VAG. Try Google install vibe Powerbox 65.4 but as always, ask the lads that make it. Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 11:08 AM   #110
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyvtec View Post
Now, it’s been a while since I did it but as I remember when I got mine originally I just removed the head unit and followed the instructions in the box to install the harness and as far as I can remember, I didn’t have to move any optical cable
AFAIK there is no optical cable with the base radio.
Appreciate 0