F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Recommendations for better body control
Studio RSR

09-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
ColinGSeries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330i X-Drive

Recommendations for better body control

Hi guys!

Just got back from a road trip to Traverse City, MI, where I finally got to try my F31 330i on some proper twisties, and it left me feeling a bit wanting if I'm honest. I still love the car, but as I'm looking at getting new tires come next spring, I'm thinking about making some upgrades to my car's handling as well. I don't want to change the character of the car too much or spend thousands, but I'd really like to kill some of the lateral lurch I felt in transitions and tightening corners and kill the sponginess in my brakes.

My thoughts here are to go up to 18"s (I'm thinking the Beyern Spartans as I loved my TSWs on my Focus ST) with non run-flat tires, which will help a good deal, but I'm also thinking that some stiffer anti-roll bars (and probably end links) will get me what I want handling-wise without breaking the bank or my spine. I'm also thinking painting my calipers black or silver (as an improvement over the rust that's collecting on them) with stainless lines to kill the sponginess. I know the favored move here is a BBK but I can't really justify that expense on a 330i daily driver that won't see any track duty.

Has anyone else tried these upgrades, or has other alternative recommendations or advice on brands, etc.?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Sway bars are the best fix for body roll. It's just that they are buried deep above the subframes on the F3x. H&r OR Eibach. Search because there are several threads about this.

Your next option is a set of coilovers. They will remove body roll by stiffening the rebound and dampening on all four corners, but ride comfort will be sacrificed. You will need to either spend 1700 for KW street comfort coilovers and then install them (addtl cost if not diy) or the 2K+ for the Bilstein variant.

You can definitely get cheaper coilovers as what is a "comfortable ride" is quite subjective. BCs can be had around 900-1000 USD for parts, ST suspension a bit cheaper of you aren't in a salty winter area (they are just KW V1 without a stainless coating), or Bilstein B14. But again what is comfortable is subjective. The B14 are the most stif of these 1000USD category. With deals, or used, these prices can vary.

There are several threads about this.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1