F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

04-30-2020, 03:01 AM   #1739
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

thats just lol, also i accidentally got into this menu on my andream unit once too, i think it was at the point where my phone made a BT connection but AA was not active yet and someone called me.

Last edited by xDHC; 04-30-2020 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #1740
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousUser View Post
With the latest BimmerTech update v2.0.2.4.mmi.b and MCU: 10.2.18.15 they changed the way the bluetooth calls works in CarPlay :-(

Previously in iOS CarPlay you could call from within the iOS interface, but now with the new version, when answering or making a call you are redirected out of carplay to the MMi firmware where you get hangup buttons etc.

The thing is, the UI looks terrible outside of the iOS ecosystem and for some reason the phonebook isn't transfered so you can't see who is calling, unless you remember the callers phone number in your head!

I mean...! What the actual F***?? Why??
There is a later bimmertech update for April posted 2.0.2.5t2.mmi.b and mcu 10.3.24.15 (iirc the number correctly) the link was posted about 10 pages back

EDIT: the link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Last edited by cossie1; 04-30-2020 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #1741
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So I had a reply from Andream seller on Aliexpress.

Who told me that 2.0.2.7 is the latest they have, but they are working on an update and will let me know "if" it's available.

So I said well it's bloody annoying that the Andream software is from January and Carlinkit and Bimmertech have had updates in Feb, March and April so far.

So maybe they could make the Andream software open source in future.

The reply was "maybe we will try".
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #1742
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post

Who told me that 2.0.2.7 is the latest they have, but they are working on an update and will let me know "if" it's available.

So I said well it's bloody annoying that the Andream software is from January and Carlinkit and Bimmertech have had updates in Feb, March and April so far.

ideally sunplus would make their platform source available, but the chances they or any of the vendors actually post source is somewhere between 0 and 0.00001 %
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #1743
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
ideally sunplus would make their platform source available, but the chances they or any of the vendors actually post source is somewhere between 0 and 0.00001 %
Yes I think it's unlikely, but no harm in asking and giving them an option if they can't be bothered to do updates faster themselves.

I don't think the software is supplied by Sunplus, I think they only give the sdk to the manufacturer of the units, and then that is passed to the suppliers to work with.

At first it seemed all the software was being written and updated by the same person (or team) but it seems now that isn't happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #1744
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Yes I think it's unlikely, but no harm in asking and giving them an option if they can't be bothered to do updates faster themselves.

I don't think the software is supplied by Sunplus, I think they only give the sdk to the manufacturer of the units, and then that is passed to the suppliers to work with.

At first it seemed all the software was being written and updated by the same person (or team) but it seems now that isn't happening.
makes sense.

are there any known chinese bmw forums? back in the heyday of android hacking a lot of leaks/appropriated firmware would make their way there way to the chinese forums and some of the chinese phone oem staff would post unofficial builds or leak other stuff

granted that android root community was 100,000x times the size of this mmi community but still
Appreciate 1
kmall1031.50
      04-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #1745
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I am not aware of any, but that's not to say there isn't one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #1746
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Technically they open sourced their whole framework already: https://sunplus-tibbo.atlassian.net/...s/doc/overview

It's for the board/SoC SP7021. They gave me access to their git last December and in it there are scripts to build other embedded environments (e.g. yocto) for the platform. This build process results in our famous ISPBOOOT.BIN file.

They sell the software of our MMI as SPHE8388 and that of course is closed source (I even asked them about it).

Someone with knowledge of embedded/IoT stuff could probably build a custom image as the device just generically boots from whatever is on its flash storage.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #1747
623baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Quote:

so it's almost better to go with carlinkit even if the price is slightly higher since they seem to be more diligent with their update and have better user interface at MMI screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #1748
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller View Post
so it's almost better to go with carlinkit even if the price is slightly higher since they seem to be more diligent with their update and have better user interface at MMI screen?
I don't know, wouldn't like to say yes.

At this time, Carlinkint does seem more on the ball with updates and imo the user interface (settings screens etc) does look a little nicer.

However, in the past Carlinkit have just suddenly stopped supporting devices (there wired carplay unit), and told customers they must buy the new unit if they want support.

I believe bimmertech did the same, so maybe Carlinkit are supplying bimmertech there software (who knows, I am just guessing, but would make sense as both implemented "security measures" at the same time).

Andream is a bit of an unknown as I don't think they have done a wired version previously, so they may well come good and start giving us more updates in the future.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #1749
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
With the latest BimmerTech update v2.0.2.4.mmi.b and MCU: 10.2.18.15 they changed the way the bluetooth calls works in CarPlay :-(

Previously in iOS CarPlay you could call from within the iOS interface, but now with the new version, when answering or making a call you are redirected out of carplay to the MMi firmware where you get hangup buttons etc.

The thing is, the UI looks terrible outside of the iOS ecosystem and for some reason the phonebook isn't transfered so you can't see who is calling, unless you remember the callers phone number in your head!

I have this shit on my Carlinkit with the latest software.
      04-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #1750
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Quote:

Besides a few "like to have" features, most of the bugs have now been resolved for all of these units and both provide a great experience overall. And currently the functionality and frustrations are the same for both regardless of updates.

Keeping in mind that we will likely not keep our cars forever, it probably makes sense to go for the best price, i.e. Andream, imo. You won't be missing out on anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #1751
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:

You may want to contact Bimmertech and see if they will change it back. They seem to be willing to go the extra mile for their customers lately.

btw, the latest Bimmertech software that I have seen is v2.0.2.5t.2, mcu 10.3.24.15.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #1752
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Besides a few "like to have" features, most of the bugs have now been resolved for all of these units and both provide a great experience overall. And currently the functionality and frustrations are the same for both regardless of updates.

Keeping in mind that we will likely not keep our cars forever, it probably makes sense to go for the best price, i.e. Andream, imo. You won't be missing out on anything.
I'd agree with this. I've only had mine installed for a few days but it appears to be running flawlessly and it doesn't seem to be worth risk of updating.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #1753
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Agreed most bugs have been ironed out (but not all).

But if you follow that reasoning, then there is no point doing a software update on your phone, or updating an app on your phone, as most of the bugs will have already been ironed out on those too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #1754
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Carlinkit indeed stopped supporting wired devices. My wired only version had horrible lags, bugs, resolution was crap and their solution was: "buy our new wireless version, much better".

So personally i'd stay away from them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #1755
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I managed to install my MMI from wakaa.us yesterday on my F15, super easy install, biggest pia was fitting everything behind the HU. Thanks to everyone here, lots of good info/input cleared a lot of things up. Looks like my unit is running the latest SW, pin # 4091 does enable me to access the SW update screen.

- Bummer that there is no volume bar indicating level
- The steering wheel voice button does not trigger Siri/G assistant after holding it down, (clicking once launches ID4 voice assistant), then only way for me to trigger it is either saying "hey siri", or clicking and holding down the iDrive knob. (I found to be strange considering I haven't really found any more info regarding this)
- Haven't tried mirroring yet, however both AA and CarPlay work very well for the most part, stretched res present in AA. OEM mic works with no echo out the box, OEM camera/360 and pdc works great, in and out of the MMI automatically for the most part. Wireless CarPlay sometimes doesn't connect to my iPhone, find I have to manually connect via phone and its instant.
- I don't know if its my expectations, but I find scrolling and navigating the UI to be a bit laggy, every 4th or 5th rotational click of the iDrive I find that the next click takes a second after a lag. Not a deal breaker but something I noticed immediately after firing it up.

SW out the box:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #1756
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maDjzo View Post
I managed to install my MMI from wakaa.us yesterday on my F15, super easy install, biggest pia was fitting everything behind the HU. Thanks to everyone here, lots of good info/input cleared a lot of things up. Looks like my unit is running the latest SW, pin # 4091 does enable me to access the SW update screen.

- Bummer that there is no volume bar indicating level
- The steering wheel voice button does not trigger Siri/G assistant after holding it down, (clicking once launches ID4 voice assistant), then only way for me to trigger it is either saying "hey siri", or clicking and holding down the iDrive knob. (I found to be strange considering I haven't really found any more info regarding this)
- Haven't tried mirroring yet, however both AA and CarPlay work very well for the most part, stretched res present in AA. OEM mic works with no echo out the box, OEM camera/360 and pdc works great, in and out of the MMI automatically for the most part. Wireless CarPlay sometimes doesn't connect to my iPhone, find I have to manually connect via phone and its instant.
- I don't know if its my expectations, but I find scrolling and navigating the UI to be a bit laggy, every 4th or 5th rotational click of the iDrive I find that the next click takes a second after a lag. Not a deal breaker but something I noticed immediately after firing it up.

SW out the box:
Another new MCU update then.
Appreciate 1
maDjzo861.50
      04-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #1757
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nothing new MCU update then.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #1758
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how "another" got changed to "nothing" with predictive text lol
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #1759
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Also I thought Wakaa were selling Andream units
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #1760
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

maDjzo 's unit from Wakaa.us looks more like a Carlinkit unit, otherwise, it would not have the latest SW 9.2.2.yl.b which is Carlinkit SW naming convention and now requires 4 PINs to perfrom upgrade/downgrade where 9.2.2.yl.b is not compatible with Andream unit. (cossie1 you know this better than anyone else )

And interestingly, it has another different version of MCU 20.4.2.14, in comparing to mine at 20.1.4.11, and TheUltimateDrivingManiac 's at 20.3.24.15, but the Carlinkit support I have contacted stated that my MUC is the latest MCU

Quote:
Quote:
Also I thought Wakaa were selling Andream units
Attached Images

Appreciate 0