F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > next upgrade
GetBMWParts

08-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I have a 335d and 4 pirelli pzero rft 19 inch and less than 8000 miles on them. yesterday was a rainy day and a rural road(speed limit 60mph) I was taking a curve at 30mph and i completely lost control and the back came out 1 way and I corrected the other way again and back came out the other way amd narrowly missed a head on collision with a massive boulder by 5 metres and was lucky there was no other car on the road.
i have had other moments with brand new tyres when it has been cold or rainy that the back has come out but never so dangerously.
I upgraded to ACS springs which improved dry handling but wet handling has been a snake with heart stopping moments of oversteer. Are any of you guys experiencing this too?
Anyway I am booked in to change to michelin pilot sport 4 tommorrow all 4 tyres. £700 damn!
It would be interesting to know if I can trust my car again as frankly I never trusted it around corners like my x5 or for that matter the 3 series.
I currently think it is a death trap in its current state.
Is it the car or is it the tyres I will soon find out.
If wet handling improves and its the tyres I will treat myself and I'm thinking of getting upgraded shocks next.
If not I might have to take a painful decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Between XDrive (all US GTs are AWD) and stability control I can't make my GT do anything like that even if I try.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Are you upsetting the car and braking hard once in the turn/lift off oversteer or were you already at 30mph, keeping the car at a constant speed through the turn and still getting the back end to come out? Sounds like you then over-corrected and that caused the car to go back the other way. Have you had any rear end damage? Maybe even a pothole that could have messed up the rear geometry? Something like that could cause this effect to be more dramatic. Or if it had just started raining, could be just a higher chance of slick road surface and a fluke too.

As Billfitz said, i have tried to upset the car to have some fun and cant get the car to do what you are seeing. Again, xdrive here and underpowered 328, so not able to fully power into things, less tq than your 335d too.

The non-runflats will help with feel and the Pilots will definitely handle better than your current rft. I would suggest getting the alignment looked at as well though, just to know its not that.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Are you upsetting the car and braking hard once in the turn/lift off oversteer or were you already at 30mph, keeping the car at a constant speed through the turn and still getting the back end to come out? Sounds like you then over-corrected and that caused the car to go back the other way. Have you had any rear end damage? Maybe even a pothole that could have messed up the rear geometry? Something like that could cause this effect to be more dramatic. Or if it had just started raining, could be just a higher chance of slick road surface and a fluke too.

As Billfitz said, i have tried to upset the car to have some fun and cant get the car to do what you are seeing. Again, xdrive here and underpowered 328, so not able to fully power into things, less tq than your 335d too.

The non-runflats will help with feel and the Pilots will definitely handle better than your current rft. I would suggest getting the alignment looked at as well though, just to know its not that.
I was at a steady speed of 30 mph. completely lost control no brake involved and only used steering to correct one way and the other.
Full wheel alignment was done in Jan ar a performance centre very highly rated locally who told me everything was spot on.
Seen by bmw thrice as under warranty and always assured everything in the suspension is pukka and transfer case etc is solid.
BUT
ive never trusted the car and wonder if it is indeed the tyres as it always lets the back come loose when wet and tramlines over irregular roads.
I cannot understand how the X5 which is much heavier handles si much better(its on dunlop sports maxx gt).
I just wonder if its the tyres. I was hoping to have michelins installed today to find out but garage phoned me to say locking nut was missing!
It was at bmw diagnostics previously in jul and prior to that at a garage installing acs springs and they both denied any knowledge.
so had to go to dealer to have the locking wheel nut measured and ordered from germany expected wait 7-10d while the tyres are ready and lie in wait.
another lesson learnt always check locking nut before driving away from garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
it turns out that i thought the tyre pressure required was 2.2 bar all around but (silly me) for not reading the tyre pressure diagram correctly.
Since I have inflated them to 2.6 the tyres have gripped tremendously and absolutely no instability on the dry. Also body lesn is very much reduced.
No rain for past few days so haven't been able to see if wet handling has also improved.

I have paid for 4 pilot sport 4 tyres which are waiting at the garage. These pirellis rft i have done 11k miles on them.

Should I change to michelins or return the tyres?

can low tyre pressures have had that much of an impact on wet handling and bodt lean etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Absolutely. Where wet handling is concerned if the tire's too soft the channels in the tread don't hold as much water, so more water gathers under the tread that's supposed to be in contact with the pavement, leading to loss of control. Higher pressure=stiffer sidewalls=less lean.

When it comes time for new tires I'll probably go to Michelin Cross Climate+. I don't really need RFT as I have all the gear I need to fix a flat on board, and I carry a compact spare for long trips anyway.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13100.00
      08-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Thanks Bill. I do wonder if ive done irreversible harm over 11000 miles to the pirellis sidewalls running low pressures and so may just switch over to non rft's that ive paid for already as i ferry my 3 kids frequently and want a safest scenario plus the pirellis are noisy!. Willhead over to garage tommorrow to ask about the condition of the pirellis plus locking wheel nut is still not available and on order from germany*12 days now!)

If it means anything to you I had previously owned a 3 series 2012-2017 and put 130k miles on it (110k were on Michelin energy saver and then i switched to crossclimate plus for nexr 20k miles and jesus they were so much more grippier and stable in wet UK roads and chomped through snow n ice unless in an incline).
I would wholeheartedly recommended them thet do reduce mpg by 2 but car sticks to the road.
Sadly they don't come in 19 inch for my loved GT or i would have switched to them in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The Cross Climate SUV comes in 235/50-19.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
ph47mf
Rep
Drives: 335D GT

i have the same car with original continentals but i haven't experienced that at all. you mentioned rural roads perhaps spilled diesel from tractors or wet mud?

as others have mentioned it's quite hard to get it to misbehave.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Took the car out after it rained. Vastly improved stability around corners but still nervous and tetchy around roundabouts. I Think it's gotta be the tyres as in dry weather the tyres were sticking in the same roundabouts solidly but i could feel they were nervous and the back did step out when i put some power down when turning.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
halos4life
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335xigt

Hey i have question well a 2014 335i front bumper fit on my 2014 335xigt
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by halos4life View Post
Hey i have question well a 2014 335i front bumper fit on my 2014 335xigt
If it's from an f30 it won't fit. Only f34 GT bumpers can be swapped. They have completely different headlights and front ends.
Appreciate 0