F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Need some help with EGS/TCU CAFD stuff
ARMA SPEED

11-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
chaseb9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Need some help with EGS/TCU CAFD stuff

So I am very new to coding f30 generation and their ecus. I recently coded my transmission with bootmod3 upgraded tcu flash. Today I wanted to code launch control so I loaded up bimmercode and it said Invalid coding data. I load up E sys and can't get a Cafd file loaded. It just shows a red cafd with an x through it. After trying multiple cafd files nothing works. Also checking codes on EGS gives a code of 421326. Something about a newly coded Tcu or something. Any help getting Bimmercode to let me code again as well as getting Esys to show a cafd file so I could code through that. I tried reverting back to stock using bootmod3 stock trans flash but still didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

First off, did you make any backups of your CAFDs with e-sys? I think bimmercode makes backups the first time it runs, try to restore those backups with bimmercode, if you're lucky this might just fix it.

If not...

Make sure you have latest psdzdata
Make sure you have updated version of e-sys as well as token/launcher

Depending on how long its been since you coded TCU and when you saw code 421326, either you just checked codes too early after coding.... or.... you corrupted the TCU CAFD completely and it is running off safety-defaults.

I am curious though since you say you are new, what are your exact steps in e-sys? You might be doing something wrong and I could point that out.

Also contact bootmod3 support since its their flash that seemingly broke everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
chaseb9
Private
Rep

I will contact bootmod3. I didn't try to code tcu before I did the upgraded tcu flash so I don't have a backup.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
chaseb9
Private
Rep

My steps I took were, reading and saving FA, Reading and Saving SVT. After that go to expert mode coding. Read (SVT). After that it would show all the cafd files of all the modules besides the EGS where it was not there. I had to read that specific module by doing Detect CAF for SWE and once I did that it shows a red cafd file with a red X
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
chaseb9
Private
Rep

I used this for e sys and pszdata lite. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../983244?page=1
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

What I'm basing below off: http://www.obdii365.com/upload/pro/e...anual_v1_4.pdf

Sorta seems like your SVT got wiped. I say this because the SVT is what contains the data for your CAFD and what also controls the colour of the CAFD, what CAFD displays and if module can be coded. I think you aren't supposed to really play around with your SVT, as the car manages that on its own.

Heres what the CAFD colour and red checkmark/green check mean

Green checkmark = this file can be used to code
Red checkmark = this file cannot be used to code

CAFD file text blue = Current version (or something similar to version, istep level?)
CAFD file text red = Version required (target version or something similar)

So if all you are getting is a red CAFD, it means the CAFD you have installed is not what is required by the SVT, or you do not have the CAFD at all.

From some PDF I found

"A control unit cannot be coded if at least one non-coding process class has differences In target and actual configuration and if there is no CAFD entry in the actual configuration. In this case, the control unit must first be set to the required software build by Flash-programming."

This seems to apply to you, as EGS does not show up at all (No CAFD entry in actual configuration).

Your best bet (imo) is to research how to get that CAFD (the red one) so the version is satisfied.
VO Coding might do this, as that resets your CAFDs according to what your car's build code is.
I think theres a way to also reset your SVT or change the target version the SVT expects for that CAFD. Select the red CAFD and the edit button in the SVTactual box (right side) should enable.

And incase you want to try this, it might work if theres some step you didn't do (this is what I do to code something like launch control):
Connect Button > F020 > Connect > Export Mode-Coding (on left side) >Read (top left area) > Read (VCM) > Select CAFD with green dot you want to code > Read Coding Data > Right click the new CAFD that appears > Edit FDL > Do your coding > Save icon button > back button > Top left underneath read, right click FA and Activate FA > FA shows active beside it > Select the CAFD file your edited > Code FDL > Done

Last edited by babagurgur; 11-14-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
chaseb9
Private
Rep

I'll try some stuff, my cafd fiel text is red and it has red checkmark so I assume the cafd I have installed is not what SVT requires. Not sure what to do now so I will see.
Appreciate 0