F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 NYIAS: BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe
proTUNING Freaks

04-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #89
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Well, in the past at the auto show certain BMWs have been locked, like maybe a new M3 model on the first year it was released, but then other years they let my kids climb all over inside $100k+ M5's. Either they have no specific rules, or, maybe they keep cars locked for new models that aren't sold yet in the dealerships.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF

Last edited by BMWbill; 04-18-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #90
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post
its not imperial - must be carbon or azurit...

why dont those show-pic-takers remember to always shoot the info-box next to the car?
From left to right: F10 in IB, E90 in MB and F25 in CB. That being said, this looks closer to a well lit imperial blue on the F32 GC.

04-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #91
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill
By the way, in a major dick move by BMW, the 4 coupe is locked at the NY Auto Show. So nobody will know how they fit in the back seat until the cars come to dealers.
Both the 4 and 4GC weren't locked yesterday. I sat in the back of the 4GC and my 6' frame didn't come close to fitting in the rear seat.
      04-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #92
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Would love a 2 sized GC whether it's 6gc or 4gc style.

I want the 2 rear doors for better access to the 'middle' section of the car, without pushing the front seats forward and contorting my torso. I never intend to have riders in the back seat.

Last edited by m981addicts; 04-19-2014 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #93
Amigo 435i GC
Private
Rep
Drives: GT500 Super Snake

So what color is? Imperial blue or carbon metallic black? For me it looks the imperial blue. The IB doesn't accept the M package and it doesn't have the M emblem on the front fenders but the steering wheel and the door sills has the M logo....so I don't understand!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:55 AM   #94
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

Carbon Black, all the press cars for the 4gc have been this color. In the show lights looks a lot of blue, but trust me if you see the color in rl looks no where near blue...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #95
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16 View Post
The hatch puts this car on the radar screen for me, and makes it a competitor with the F31 wagon. Pricing the two cars out, the F36 (428 gc) is actually a bit less expensive, owing to the HID lights that are standard. The major issue in deciding between the two cars will be whether there is any difference in their handling. I have read that the 428i has been tweaked to drive somewhat better than the F30. The question is whether that will apply to the F36. If so, it will get my order over the F31. I would appreciate any information that you might have.
The 435i is more expensive than the F31 335i. The 435iGC will undoubtedly be more expensive yet again. I wondered about the supposedly better handling of the 435i a few months after I took delivery of my 335i Touring. So I took one out for a drive. I didn't regret my F31 decision. Mine handled just as well (with DHP) as the 435i.

Then I see this 4GC, and the familiar green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head again. I do concede it looks a damn fine car and I'm sure it handles superbly in RWD configuration. But, aside from bragging rights and added hubris, what does the 4GC get you that the equivalent F31 doesn't do? For starters, I can accommodate five full-sized adults in mine. I hear the 4GC is a bit short in the rear seats. The lower roofline must surely compromise the useful height of the load area. At the very least, I should be able to buy slightly more mature plants from my garden centre, whereas 4GC owners will have to make do with seedlings.

I do like frameless windows though. I dislike having to clean around the nooks of the rear quarter-pane and fixed glass on the rear door. Frameless could be squeegeed spotless and dry in a flash.

Our dealer demos/shipments haven't landed yet, and I should reserve my right to stroke the green-eyed monster. Yet, I desperately love my F31 335i. In fact, the only way it'd be a better car for me is if it was a proper M-car. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #96
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

What's stupid is if BMW sits on its ass while other brands diversify their offerings.

How ironic. The M3 wouldn't exist unless BMW was catering to its niches; and yet you criticize the 4GC on the same grounds? Makes lots of sense. Totally.
Wait a second... the M3 came about as homologation of a race car for the European Type A Grand Touring race series in 1988. The E30 became a niche car because BMWs were becoming so popular by the late '80s it was something different and over-priced that the Yuppies could by to differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd (and get dates with big-haired chicks). The M-brand is just a marketing arm of BMW AG nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

The 1988 Acura Integra "Grand Coupe"

LOL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #98
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I sat in the back of the 4GC and my 6' frame didn't come close to fitting in the rear seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
I hear the 4GC is a bit short in the rear seats. The lower roofline must surely compromise the useful height of the load area.
The car is a 4 series coupe with two rear doors and a hatch opening in back. Nobody ever positioned it as a people hauler or cargo machine. If your priority is to fit six-footers in the back seat, you are quite right in choosing a different car.

The 4GC is for people who would otherwise buy the 4 series coupe but want slightly better access to the rear seats. As far as I'm concerned, the hatch is an unexpected bonus.
      04-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #99
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wait a second... the M3 came about as homologation of a race car for the European Type A Grand Touring race series in 1988. The E30 became a niche car because BMWs were becoming so popular by the late '80s it was something different and over-priced that the Yuppies could by to differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd (and get dates with big-haired chicks). The M-brand is just a marketing arm of BMW AG nowadays.
The point is that it's 2014 and the M4 and the 4GC are both niche cars for niche audiences and both should be either hated or loved jointly. You can't applaud one and condemn the other, especially on the grounds that 'BMW is creating too many vehicles and watering down the brand'.

FYI, BMW will sell about 50x more 4GC's than M4's.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #100
blacksquid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convertible

Quote:
The 435i is more expensive than the F31 335i. The 435iGC will undoubtedly be more expensive yet again.

<SNIP>
In the US, the GC is slightly less expensive than the regular 4 Series.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The point is that it's 2014 and the M4 and the 4GC are both niche cars for niche audiences and both should be either hated or loved jointly. You can't applaud one and condemn the other, especially on the grounds that 'BMW is creating too many vehicles and watering down the brand'.

FYI, BMW will sell about 50x more 4GC's than M4's.
My point was the car created the niche instead of the niche creating the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #102
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzo View Post
I believe that's Carbon Black Metallic.
I Think you are right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
From left to right: F10 in IB, E90 in MB and F25 in CB. That being said, this looks closer to a well lit imperial blue on the F32 GC.

Nice trio !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasemsport View Post
Carbon Black, all the press cars for the 4gc have been this color. In the show lights looks a lot of blue, but trust me if you see the color in rl looks no where near blue...
I think you are correct...

Quote:
The 435i is more expensive than the F31 335i. The 435iGC will undoubtedly be more expensive yet again. I wondered about the supposedly better handling of the 435i a few months after I took delivery of my 335i Touring. So I took one out for a drive. I didn't regret my F31 decision. Mine handled just as well (with DHP) as the 435i.

Then I see this 4GC, and the familiar green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head again. I do concede it looks a damn fine car and I'm sure it handles superbly in RWD configuration. But, aside from bragging rights and added hubris, what does the 4GC get you that the equivalent F31 doesn't do? For starters, I can accommodate five full-sized adults in mine. I hear the 4GC is a bit short in the rear seats. The lower roofline must surely compromise the useful height of the load area. At the very least, I should be able to buy slightly more mature plants from my garden centre, whereas 4GC owners will have to make do with seedlings.

I do like frameless windows though. I dislike having to clean around the nooks of the rear quarter-pane and fixed glass on the rear door. Frameless could be squeegeed spotless and dry in a flash.

Our dealer demos/shipments haven't landed yet, and I should reserve my right to stroke the green-eyed monster. Yet, I desperately love my F31 335i. In fact, the only way it'd be a better car for me is if it was a proper M-car. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This is a very honest post... i sort of have the same feeling, seeing how novel and how good looking the 3GC, i kinda see my car as no longer special, but the truth is : my 3 hasnt lost any bit of charms. The newer car is getting all the attention, so thats probably where all the jealousy come from ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
The gorgeous 6-series Gran Coupe besides it shows the world what the 4-series Gran Coupe should have looked like. But instead, the 4GC looks like the grandma's car.
GILF ?

If anything, the 6GC is the prober granma car...
If a granma can afford the 4GC, she is probably gonna go for the 6...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #103
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My point was the car created the niche instead of the niche creating the car.
BMW didn't invent the concept of a lightweight sedan with a huge engine but they did invent the concept of a coupe with two tiny cut doors.

Don't worry; I won't hold it against the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #104
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I sat in the back of the 4GC and my 6' frame didn't come close to fitting in the rear seat.
Quote:
I hear the 4GC is a bit short in the rear seats. The lower roofline must surely compromise the useful height of the load area.
The car is a 4 series coupe with two rear doors and a hatch opening in back. Nobody ever positioned it as a people hauler or cargo machine. If your priority is to fit six-footers in the back seat, you are quite right in choosing a different car.

The 4GC is for people who would otherwise buy the 4 series coupe but want slightly better access to the rear seats. As far as I'm concerned, the hatch is an unexpected bonus.
My point exactly...this is perfect for those who wanted the coupe but with the extra rear doors.

And rightly said, the hatch is an unexpected bonus.
      04-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #105
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid
Quote:
The 435i is more expensive than the F31 335i. The 435iGC will undoubtedly be more expensive yet again.

&lt;SNIP>
In Canada, the GC and the Coupe are priced the same.

You want the extra rear doors, get the GC...otherwise stick with the coupe.
      04-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #106
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasemsport
Correct. It's definitely carbon black metallic.
      04-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #107
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
Well, that is interesting. I was told by the local dealer to expect the 4CG to be more expensive than the regular 4, spec-for-spec.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #108
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Well, that is interesting. I was told by the local dealer to expect the 4CG to be more expensive than the regular 4, spec-for-spec.
In Australia, the 4GC is $500 more expensive than the 4 coupe. Option prices are identical.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #109
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

What's stupid is if BMW sits on its ass while other brands diversify their offerings.

The 4 Gran Coupe is a wider, sleeker, sexier F30. And there are so many F30's out there now that many of us welcome something more unique than coating a family sedan in Estoril Purple II paint and bolting-on boy racer fender flares.

How ironic. The M3 wouldn't exist unless BMW was catering to its niches; and yet you criticize the 4GC on the same grounds? Makes lots of sense. Totally.
I don't see the need for the defensive snippy comment.
Nothing ironic here at all.
It's great that you like the styling of the GC.
As I said, I like it too.

Still, it's an F30 variant. Why is that so bothersome?
The Msport is as different in appearance to the base F30 as the GC is to the F30.

As for niche's in relation to the M3.
The M3 is a performance enhanced variant. It's BMW's highest performing
3 series.
It exists to give that niche of drivers who want greater performance.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-20-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #110
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
BMW is afraid to lose sales and bleed existing customers to the Audi A5 sportback. That's all.

This car is not an f30 variant. It's a response to Audi, and frankly it could not wait until the mid-cycle refresh.

Besides, if they gave us this and called it an f30 LCI, frankly MOST people would be pissed. This car is not as sporty, has a hatchback, less headroom and (i'm guessing here), the chassis will not be as stiff and in turn will creak and bend. Probably why they are not making an M4 Gran Coupe.
Yes, I agree that it may be in response to competition.
But, the US market is different, and we don't have the same models here that the GC would go up against.

In the US BMW is not bleeding sales to Audi at all.
It's a different story in other markets for sure.

It's amusing how people read into things based on their own desires or wishes.
you say the GC is not as sporty, likely to be creaky, and not handle as well.
But those who want one say it's sportier, and sexier.
That's to be expected as lots of people buy premium/lux cars for the styling and curb appeal.
For me, it's not enough difference performance wise to get me excited.

I don't get the defensiveness of some posters here who think the car they want is somehow is being criticized.
Who cares? If you like it, got for it.
But believing this GC is somehow so vastly different, from the F30, is odd.

Coupe styling?
It's a 4 DOOR sedan, not a 2 door coupe.
BMW's marketing works.

Do some of you really believe the GC has "coupe styling"?
Look at the 4 coupe. It's very much like the 3 sedan, just like it's always been for a long time.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-20-2014 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0