F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 or MHD
GetBMWParts

07-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #23
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
There are just more customizable options like burble sliders (duration, aggression, rpm, etc), cold start idle RPM, N20 TMAP sensor switch, exhaust flap, etc.
Also, E30 and Race gas maps, as well as more options for custom tuners.

Admittedly, I have not really been keeping up with all the MHD development in 2018, but that's also because their online presence is not as robust as BM3.

Key word in my initial post is currently. Obviously, BM3 has been around a couple years longer than MHD (for N55), so they've had a head start on time and user base to develop and tweak. Not saying MHD will not eventually catch up or even exceed what BM3 has accomplished.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
burble sliders (duration, aggression, rpm, etc), cold start idle RPM, N20 TMAP sensor switch.

Well MHD has all of those things as well. Plus you can remove top speed limiter, reset all adaptations and not to mention the data logging capabilities.

I'am currently running a 95 octane tune running full 100 octane racing gas on my daily driven 435i Xdrive I'm FBO Stage 2+ and it sure is fun spinning the rear wheels on Xdrive before the fronts kick in.

Also MHD just started a Facebook group page. In addition to their WhatsApp group chat which is great. Plus honestly just had some inquiry's and heard back from them via email and Facebook within 1-2 days.

Either way BM3 or MHD you probably won't be disappointed. The N55 engine is great when tuned.
Ahh, man..here you have it. This is my dilemma--they seem equal. Top speed limiter not a big deal as who can drive at those speeds anyway? Maybe the whole comparison is meaningless as there is only so much that can be done--and if they both have the same options then there you have it. Still looks like a coin flip. I have to be realistic.
      07-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Ahh, man..here you have it. This is my dilemma--they seem equal. Top speed limiter not a big deal as who can drive at those speeds anyway? Maybe the whole comparison is meaningless as there is only so much that can be done--and if they both have the same options then there you have it. Still looks like a coin flip. I have to be realistic.
I honestly don't think you'll regret either one. Pick one, enjoy, and let us all know how much more fun you're having!

FYI, BM3 also has the speed limiter delete.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #25
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

The only real thing that BM3 has over MHD is the ability to resell the license if you sell your car but other than that they are very similar otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Gonna go BM3... Just to clarify... when I get in the car I still need a wifi connection for my computer correct...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Gonna go BM3... Just to clarify... when I get in the car I still need a wifi connection for my computer correct...
Just flashed BM3. Had my battery maintainer hooked up and let it charge to 100%. Hopped in, seat belt on, DRL's off in iDrive and set lights to OFF. Doors closed. Flash took about 4 mins give or take and finished successfully. Had a DT malfunction and fuel system warning, did the online recode and errors cleared. All good.

Flashed Stage 1 93 but I have AA FMIC, VRSF CP and MPPK upgraded intake. Didn't go stage 2 because no DP yet and as per BM customer service don't try it unless you want to destroy your CAT.

Initial impressions? HOLY FUCKBALLS. I mean this shit just literally transformed my car. It feels like a rocket. SO MUCH POWER down low it's crazy. Car pulls like a motherfucker.

Not sure about burbles though. I see the options to change it to OEM, OTS, OFF and Custom. When I choose the option that I want, do I have to flash again? Not sure how that works.

Buy this shit NOW! That is all.
      08-01-2018, 01:32 AM   #28
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

BM3 or MHD

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I have never flash tune my car before. Is it easy to do?

Have 2014 f32 n55.m with Wagner FMIC, Fabspeed catted DP, vrsf charge pipe, PPK, and mpe. Should I go for stage 2? Type of output I can expect? Thanks all
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #29
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I have never flash tune my car before. Is it easy to do?

Have 2014 f32 n55.m with Wagner FMIC, Fabspeed catted DP, vrsf charge pipe, PPK, and mpe. Should I go for stage 2? Type of output I can expect? Thanks all
Super easy.

Stage 2 with your mods.
      08-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #30
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep

Do you guys have a recommendation for a good battery charger?
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #31
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Yes you have to re-flash anytime you make changes to the settings. The good thing is now that your DME is unlocked your future flashes will take about a minute.

Back on topic, one other advantage to bm3 is the flash times. I believe MHD takes about 15 mins to unlock and subsequent flashes are in the 5min range. bm3 takes about 5 mins to unlock with subsequent flashes being about 1min. Not a huge deal unless you like to switch maps frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Just flashed BM3. Had my battery maintainer hooked up and let it charge to 100%. Hopped in, seat belt on, DRL's off in iDrive and set lights to OFF. Doors closed. Flash took about 4 mins give or take and finished successfully. Had a DT malfunction and fuel system warning, did the online recode and errors cleared. All good.

Flashed Stage 1 93 but I have AA FMIC, VRSF CP and MPPK upgraded intake. Didn't go stage 2 because no DP yet and as per BM customer service don't try it unless you want to destroy your CAT.

Initial impressions? HOLY FUCKBALLS. I mean this shit just literally transformed my car. It feels like a rocket. SO MUCH POWER down low it's crazy. Car pulls like a motherfucker.

Not sure about burbles though. I see the options to change it to OEM, OTS, OFF and Custom. When I choose the option that I want, do I have to flash again? Not sure how that works.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #32
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you guys have a recommendation for a good battery charger?
Just but this and it worked flawlessly.

STANLEY BC25BS 25 Amp Bench Battery Charger with 75 Amp Engine Start and Alternator Check https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYFSUJW..._JXByBbCCD8184
      08-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #33
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep

I have a few more questions guys.

-I lived in the Seattle area and the most common octane around here is 92. Should I get the stage 2 91 or stage 2 93 flash?

-I have PPK and MPE. I do get pretty good sound from my exhaust (burble and turbo spooling sound). The good thing is I can turn off the "loud" exhaust by switching to econ drive mode. This help from waking up the neighbors at 6am every morning. So, when I flash stage 2, there should be more "burble" sound, correct? Can I turn off the "burble" sound in econ mode?

-From my research, my PPK tune will be saved in the stock setting and I will not loose this, correct? When I take the car to the dealership, I can re-flash to stock. Will the dealership be able to pick up on the bootmod3 flash?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #34
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

1. Use 91 octane tune, stage 1 with stock cat and fmic.
2. Before you flash go into the configurator and make sure you've selected the exhaust flap to OEM. The reason the ECO mode is quiet is because it keeps the exhaust flap closed.
3. Correct. MPPK will be saved as your stock map. Flash back to stock and lock. There will be no tamper codes but if the dealer wants to dig a bit they will find things like torque values that are over stock values which points to a tune. It shouldn't be a problem unless you are trying to get a drivetrain component replaced under warranty. I would recommend finding a mod friendly service rep and be honest about your car being tuned. I did this in LA and now here in Raleigh and haven't had any issues for regular maintenance and getting OFH gasket and oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. One thing of note, when you flash back to stock you will get a CEL if you have catless DP.

Quote:
I have a few more questions guys.

-I lived in the Seattle area and the most common octane around here is 92. Should I get the stage 2 91 or stage 2 93 flash?

-I have PPK and MPE. I do get pretty good sound from my exhaust (burble and turbo spooling sound). The good thing is I can turn off the "loud" exhaust by switching to econ drive mode. This help from waking up the neighbors at 6am every morning. So, when I flash stage 2, there should be more "burble" sound, correct? Can I turn off the "burble" sound in econ mode?

-From my research, my PPK tune will be saved in the stock setting and I will not loose this, correct? When I take the car to the dealership, I can re-flash to stock. Will the dealership be able to pick up on the bootmod3 flash?

Thank you.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
2. Before you flash go into the configurator and make sure you've selected the exhaust flap to OEM. The reason the ECO mode is quiet is because it keeps the exhaust flap closed.
3. Correct. MPPK will be saved as your stock map. Flash back to stock and lock. There will be no tamper codes but if the dealer wants to dig a bit they will find things like torque values that are over stock values which points to a tune. It shouldn't be a problem unless you are trying to get a drivetrain component replaced under warranty. I would recommend finding a mod friendly service rep and be honest about your car being tuned. I did this in LA and now here in Raleigh and haven't had any issues for regular maintenance and getting OFH gasket and oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. One thing of note, when you flash back to stock you will get a CEL if you have catless DP.
Thanks for the input on editing the configurator. If I turn off active sound, would that give me more "burble" sound?

I am looking at stage 2 since I have Wagner intercooler, charge pipe, fabspeed catted DP, ppk, and mpe. Is that correct?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #36
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Thanks for the input on editing the configurator. If I turn off active sound, would that give me more "burble" sound?

I am looking at stage 2 since I have Wagner intercooler, charge pipe, fabspeed catted DP, ppk, and mpe. Is that correct?

Thank you.
I have pretty much the same mods and run MHD Stage 2+ 95oct with no problems.
      08-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #37
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No problem. I can't comment on the active sound. I have a 2014 F30 335i which didn't come with AS. Yes run stage 2.

Quote:

Thank you.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #38
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

I picked up a Raspberry Pi and case so I can get rid of the laptop when I need to flash, should be cool. I like that PTF allows you to do that, good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #39
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Did you have a different tune on this previously?
      08-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #40
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
I was just about to ask the same thing,
      08-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #41
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just MPPK with Dinan Sport.
      08-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #42
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So going with the BM3 made that much more of a difference? If so, thats great
      08-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #43
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So going with the BM3 made that much more of a difference? If so, thats great
Absolutely. Power delivery is so smooth compared to MPPK and the car feels like it pulls and pulls up top where it would flatten out with MPPK. I'm not sure if bm3 does anything with the trans but shifting feels completely different, super smooth across the gears now instead of that weird jerkiness I would get beforehand.
      08-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

How about the reflash by vivid racing let’s include them?
Appreciate 0