F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bm3 vs custom tune
proTUNING Freaks

08-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

Bm3 vs custom tune

So I did the FMIC, DP, and CP all in one go and then bumped my dinan sport tuner from sport+ to race, i believe in race its doing +4psi. It certainly feels a bit ballsy-er. I really should have tried out the car with the dinan in sport+ first to see if i really felt a difference but oh well

So now Im debating on how to get my stage two 93 octane tune. I don't know if I should get an OTS tune from BM3 or get a custom tune from DME tuners here in northern jersey. Its ~600 one way or ~1700 the other. Is a custom tune much better than a OTS tune? What's the real differences? Another concern I have is if something goes wrong with an OTS I'm not sure how car savvy I am to figure it out. 1700 is a lot more that 500 but that seems like pay the professionals and be done with it could be worth it. Idk I'm torn, what are your opinions guys?

heres their website: http://dmetuning.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #2
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

9/10 times you will not be able to tell the difference with a custom tune. A custom tune is more if you do ethanol blends, have bigger turbo, are running methanol injection etc. I would save the money if I were you with those basic bolt-ons.
gbux20.50
      08-06-2018, 01:49 AM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbux View Post
So I did the FMIC, DP, and CP all in one go and then bumped my dinan sport tuner from sport+ to race, i believe in race its doing +4psi. It certainly feels a bit ballsy-er. I really should have tried out the car with the dinan in sport+ first to see if i really felt a difference but oh well

So now Im debating on how to get my stage two 93 octane tune. I don't know if I should get an OTS tune from BM3 or get a custom tune from DME tuners here in northern jersey. Its ~600 one way or ~1700 the other. Is a custom tune much better than a OTS tune? What's the real differences? Another concern I have is if something goes wrong with an OTS I'm not sure how car savvy I am to figure it out. 1700 is a lot more that 500 but that seems like pay the professionals and be done with it could be worth it. Idk I'm torn, what are your opinions guys?

As with practically all performance gains in cars (or most things), the price rises exponentially in relation to the ever decreasing gain.
Appreciate 1
gbux20.50
      08-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
gbux
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

As with practically all performance gains in cars (or most things), the price rises exponentially in relation to the ever decreasing gain.
Nice I never thought about how each extra hp after a certain amount starts to cost more and more. I guess I'll get all the easy hp and then start saving for my next vehicle
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
9/10 times you will not be able to tell the difference with a custom tune. A custom tune is more if you do ethanol blends, have bigger turbo, are running methanol injection etc. I would save the money if I were you with those basic bolt-ons.
And it could take months or years. Maps are thrown out of window one update after another, still looking at OTS wondering if should start it all over again
      08-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice I never thought about how each extra hp after a certain amount starts to cost more and more. I guess I'll get all the easy hp and then start saving for my next vehicle
That axiom goes for cars as well. Look at the performance difference in a $20,000 Kia and a $50,000 BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

I say custom all the way but if you’re lookingfor most power gains then go all out with octane first.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:13 AM   #8
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

It's not always a question of squeezing more performance but also adjust to the car specifics, e.g if you're unlucky to have a weak HP fuel pump, you can run a tune that is better adjusted

However in EU a custom tune is more around 600 than 1700 as you mention, surely you can get a custom tune around those prices too in US?
      08-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #9
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

1700 for a custom tune? Run away from whatever shop that is
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      08-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:

For max gains, I would consider doing both, custom and OTS. But I'd buy a custom tune from BM3. You would have the support, plus the ability to switch back and forth, not to mention, you'd still have access to the stock map at any time. On top of all that, it would still cost you substantially less than the number you threw out.
Also, the person who quoted you $1700 for a custom tune is crazy expensive! I have several tuners at my disposal here in AZ that will put together a custom tune (non BM3 related of course) for well under $1k.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
gbux
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRYVER View Post
Quote:

For max gains, I would consider doing both, custom and OTS. But I'd buy a custom tune from BM3. You would have the support, plus the ability to switch back and forth, not to mention, you'd still have access to the stock map at any time. On top of all that, it would still cost you substantially less than the number you threw out.
Also, the person who quoted you $1700 for a custom tune is crazy expensive! I have several tuners at my disposal here in AZ that will put together a custom tune (non BM3 related of course) for well under $1k.
Yeah. This is a shop servicing the NYC area euro cars. rent and cost of living is high around here so I imagine that plays a part. So you carriers a customer tune directly from bm3? I didn't know that was a thing! Anywhere I could read up on that? Is there a TLDR I could checkout til I could get out of work and can put some time into it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #12
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Yeah. This is a shop servicing the NYC area euro cars. rent and cost of living is high around here so I imagine that plays a part. So you carriers a customer tune directly from bm3? I didn't know that was a thing! Anywhere I could read up on that? Is there a TLDR I could checkout til I could get out of work and can put some time into it?
There will be some mild information about custom tunes on the BM3 website, but the information is limited. The OTS map (off the shelf) is exactly that, it's a tune for everyone, based on the level of bolt ons you have on your car. Their custom tune is an actual local or remote tuner shop that will adjust your BM3 parameters for maximum efficiency, based on the data logs of your personal car. Therefore, you'll likely have greater gains.
Appreciate 1
gbux20.50
      08-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
gbux
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRYVER View Post
Quote:
There will be some mild information about custom tunes on the BM3 website, but the information is limited. The OTS map (off the shelf) is exactly that, it's a tune for everyone, based on the level of bolt ons you have on your car. Their custom tune is an actual local or remote tuner shop that will adjust your BM3 parameters for maximum efficiency, based on the data logs of your personal car. Therefore, you'll likely have greater gains.
Oh wow so you can actually request a custom tune based on your logs directly from bm3? That's dope as hell
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
1700 for a custom tune? Run away from whatever shop that is
I would have agreed with this post until yesterday.

I was at a shop where a well known maxed out “super” F30 on this forum was on a dyno.

Remind you, this PWG F30 has BM3 tuned by several who specialize in custom tuning, Pure S2, Full E85 and all the other goodies. You would know the car if I revealed the forum handle. It only pulled about 420HP/413 Torque. This car is claimed to do over 500HP and Torque on forum. You would also know the “nicks” of the tuners who claimed to have “dialed in” this car on the forum.

Then a “stock” PWG F30 with only an aftermarket Downpipe and a custom tune (not BM3 or MHD etc) was put on dyno where it did over 457 Torque. BTW, this car was an XDrive

The place the dyno was run had no skin in the game and to them it was just 2 F30 of the same year with no idea what was under the hood.

After being there for everything, I will tell you that my eyes were truly opened and I learned yet again (well even more than before) not to believe all the posters with supposed “facts” as well as claims of the tunes on the forum, no matter the size of their following.

If I had the choice, I would have gladly paid $1700+ for that tune instead of $10k+ of equipment plus the $595 BM3 of the “super” F30.

PS I will be the first to admit the “super” F30 did hold better at higher RPM with the Pure S2 and E85 able to supply fuel at higher RPM, but still....

Now, the interesting story will be what the same tuner can do to the “Super” F30 once BM3 is removed.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-11-2018 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
I would have agreed with this post until yesterday.

I was at a shop where a well known maxed out “super” F30 on this forum was on a dyno.

Remind you, this PWG F30 has BM3 tuned by several who specialize in custom tuning, Pure S2, Full E85 and all the other goodies. You would know the car if I revealed the forum handle. It only pulled about 420HP/413 Torque. This car is claimed to do over 500HP and Torque on forum. You would also know the “nicks” of the tuners who claimed to have “dialed in” this car on the forum.

Then a “stock” PWG F30 with only an aftermarket Downpipe and a custom tune (not BM3 or MHD etc) was put on dyno where it did over 457 Torque. BTW, this car was an XDrive

The place the dyno was run had no skin in the game and to them it was just 2 F30 of the same year with no idea what was under the hood.

After being there for everything, I will tell you that my eyes were truly opened and I learned yet again (well even more than before) not to believe all the posters with supposed “facts” as well as claims of the tunes on the forum, no matter the size of their following.

If I had the choice, I would have gladly paid $1700+ for that tune instead of $10k+ of equipment plus the $595 BM3 of the “super” F30.

PS I will be the first to admit the “super” F30 did hold better at higher RPM with the Pure S2 and E85 able to supply fuel at higher RPM, but still....

Now, the interesting story will be what the same tuner can do to the “Super” F30 once BM3 is removed.
I've been going back and forth with a custom tune..hopefully I can get around this tq too. I have a pic of my dyno up somewhere, and my best run was 349/406 (OTS tune) and my plugs were shot(auto/x drive). Hopefully we can see an improvement..if nothing else, it will be valuable information for the forum.

Maybe monday ill get on down there

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
I've been going back and forth with a custom tune..hopefully I can get around this tq too. I have a pic of my dyno up somewhere, and my best run was 349/406 (OTS tune) and my plugs were shot(auto/x drive). Hopefully we can see an improvement..if nothing else, it will be valuable information for the forum.

Maybe monday ill get on down there
Actually I’m surprised and shocked. Most legit dyno owners will demand an oil change, new spark plugs and several other safety factors before putting a car on their dyno. For the car’s safety as well as their machine (and shop).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

I'm just waiting to get the tune and PI all set up properly. I made 456/438 at the wheels with JB4, meth (50/50 boost juice), and like 23psi of boost. I'm hoping I made the right call in ditching all that and going for and ECU tune.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Custom tune and OTS is night and day fellas.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #19
gbux
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
Custom tune and OTS is night and day fellas.
But for an everyday driver that I just want some more hours out of, does dropping $ make all that much sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:53 AM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But for an everyday driver that I just want some more hours out of, does dropping $ make all that much sense?
Did it make sense to buy a BMW instead of a Kia if that’s all you want?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:25 AM   #21
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

My custom BM3 stage 2 makes the OTS stage 2 feel stock. I’d say it’s worth it. It certainly didn’t cost me $1700 either.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #22
gbux
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
My custom BM3 stage 2 makes the OTS stage 2 feel stock. I'd say it's worth it. It certainly didn't cost me $1700 either.
So did you start with the ots and then do custom? Where do you find someone for a custom stage 2 bm3 ?
Appreciate 0