F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Tire Emergency, Need Help!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Tire Emergency, Need Help!

This one hurts to write. Preface: My F30 is currently riding on Dinan's 20x8.5 wheels with 245/30/ZR20 tires. This setup does not like potholes, the wonderful state of NJ, however, does. My mistake.

Anyway, was driving down a highway when I hit a large pothole at 80mph. Solid thunk, but I thought that was it. I tested immediately after hitting the pothole and the car tracked straight and I thought everything was fine. Anyway, I reached my destination, parked the car and that was it. Fast forward 3 hours when I come back out to the car, I failed to visually or physically inspect the wheel that hit the pothole, proceed to drive, and in the first 300 feet I was able to tell I definitely had an issue. I pulled over, and there was ZERO air in the tire at all. Tried to pump it up with a roadside compressor and it held nothing. Luckily I was about 350 feet from my cousins house where I was visiting, so I slowly limped the car back there where the car currently sits, and was taken home by someone else. And that brings us to right now, wondering what I should do.

Here are my questions:

(1) Can I bring over my stock wheel and tire, replace the flat one (front driver), leave the other 3 and drive home like that until I can get a new tire put on, or will that cause issues with the xDrive? The rolling diameter (should be/I think) is roughly the same (26 inches and change) but I don't want to take any chances.

(2) When I do get the tire fixed, can I just replace the one, or do I need to do both fronts, all 4 or what? The tires were installed 6,000 miles ago at 9/32nds of an inch tread depth. Not sure what they are at now, but considering MPSS's wear quickly, would it be a no-no to replace just the one and leave the others, giving me one brand new tire and 3 others that are at (probably) 5-6/32nds of an inch tread depth?

(3) No matter which tires I need to replace, can I replace them with another tire or does it have to be another MPSS? I'm probably going to get something cheaper, maybe Hankook Ventus V12 EVO 2's, or something else if anyone has recommendations.

(4) It's about a month and change away from when I would put on my "winter setup" anyway (stock wheels with stock all seasons) , should I just bite the bullet and put them on early? They're butt ugly, but I feel like that might be the responsible thing to do and I can just deal with these wheels and tires next summer.

I know these are a lot of noob questions, but I'm only 19 and this is my first experience with a flat tire, so I'm a bit panicked. Please take it east and help me out!

Thanks to everyone in advance for any and all input and/or advice.
      08-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

I'd put the stock wheels and tires back on and perhaps sell the 20's and stay with 19's max for NJ due to the potholes cause the chances are that it will just happen again
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      08-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Strange

Didn't the car tell you your tire was completely flat when you went to start it?

I had this happen to me and as soon as I started the car the TPMS knew there was no air in the tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #4
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

I live in Boston, and let me tell you lol, I'm glad I purchased the wheel/tire package warranty when I bought this car. My f30 335 m sport came with the 19 inch 403m staggered setup. I have had this car since April, and I have already had all 4 of the tires replaced under my warranty due to bubbles forming on the tires because of potholes. I have already bought a 18 inch setup for fall/winter/spring which I plan on swapping out the 19 September 1.

If I were you, switch out the 20s, sell them and find a nice 19 inch set. Trust me when I tell you, you will be in the same situation every summer lmao. I already have a bubble forming on one of my front tires. We in the northeast/New England can't have super nice things lol, unless you wanna destroy it.

Get the car home, swap out to the stock setup and like I said sell the 20s and get a nice 19 set for summer, not worth it to keep replacing tires every few weeks because of potholes. Even the 19s are tough to not destroy in potholes, nothing we can do other then try to dodge them but realistically you can't dodge every single one. You want to ride on 20s move to Florida, Cali or Texas. Can't do that out here you'll destroy those 20s before you even enjoy them.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for responses so far guys. I think after this, I'll at least have to strongly consider selling the 20's and search for a 18/19 inch summer setup. They are so impractical for NJ.

And as of right now, I am leaning towards just putting the "winter setup" on a little early and dealing with this issue next spring.

Still very interested in answers to questions 1 and 2 if anyone has any input! Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Didn't the car tell you your tire was completely flat when you went to start it?

I had this happen to me and as soon as I started the car the TPMS knew there was no air in the tire.
The TPMS sensors in my aftermarket wheels aren't compatible with my car, so I don't have a tire-pressure monitoring system. Never really bothered me, I just checked pressures every third time I got in the car to make sure.
      08-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Thanks for responses so far guys. I think after this, I'll at least have to strongly consider selling the 20's and search for a 18/19 inch summer setup. They are so impractical for NJ.
20's on a vehicle that can't take a larger sidewall are impractical almost anywhere.
      08-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
1) You should be good switching just the one, unless your driving 1,000s of miles. To play it safe for steering reasons, put it in back and move another 20 up front to match. This is just to get you home and then do what option with all four you choose.

2) At 6,000 miles you're borderline and will get 6 different opinions from 6 people and all pretty valid. Tire places want all 4 changed at same time so you can't come back and say they destroyed your diffs. by installing a larger diameter tire. Depending on actual tread depth you could get away with changing the one, but you really do want them all pretty close in diameter, this is more true for 4x4 versus AWD like we have.

I ran 20s before in CT and had to replace two bent rims in two summers. 19s seems to be the best option where roads are a concern and still give you close to the look you wanted from the 20s. Last summer, I had to replace a stock 18 after hitting a pothole driving to Mt Kisco dealer in NY. Luckily I was only 15 miles away and on a RFT. I should have taken a picture, the rim was bent about 2" in.

Good luck.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
At 6,000 miles you're borderline and will get 6 different opinions from 6 people and all pretty valid.
At 6,000 miles there's not enough tread wear to bother things at all. A difference in diameter of maybe 1/8 inch is minuscule on a 26 inch diameter tire.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
At 6,000 miles there's not enough tread wear to bother things at all. A difference in diameter of maybe 1/8 inch is minuscule on a 26 inch diameter tire.
Agreed, which is why I said actually check the dia difference. He mentioned he goes through tires pretty fast. I personally only get 22k on 45k tires, so 6,000 in this case could be up to 25-30% wear already. But agreed, 6,000 miles of normal wear is no where near significant.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
At 6,000 miles you're borderline and will get 6 different opinions from 6 people and all pretty valid.
Quote:
1) You should be good switching just the one, unless your driving 1,000s of miles. To play it safe for steering reasons, put it in back and move another 20 up front to match. This is just to get you home and then do what option with all four you choose.

2) At 6,000 miles you're borderline and will get 6 different opinions from 6 people and all pretty valid. Tire places want all 4 changed at same time so you can't come back and say they destroyed your diffs. by installing a larger diameter tire. Depending on actual tread depth you could get away with changing the one, but you really do want them all pretty close in diameter, this is more true for 4x4 versus AWD like we have.

I ran 20s before in CT and had to replace two bent rims in two summers. 19s seems to be the best option where roads are a concern and still give you close to the look you wanted from the 20s. Last summer, I had to replace a stock 18 after hitting a pothole driving to Mt Kisco dealer in NY. Luckily I was only 15 miles away and on a RFT. I should have taken a picture, the rim was bent about 2" in.

Good luck.
Thanks for the responses. So you think I'll be okay changing just the one. Good to know. Here's me issue now: just to get the car to a tire shop, I was worried about the Diameter difference, but I failed to realize/mention that the stock tire I'd be using as a spare is 225 wide and the other three are 245 wide. I know different widths are bad for xDrive, so I think that's not going to work right? I think I may have to put on all 4 stock wheels and tires just to get to the tire place safely, have them fix the one 20, and then reinstall all 20's.
      08-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. So you think I'll be okay changing just the one. Good to know. Here's me issue now: just to get the car to a tire shop, I was worried about the Diameter difference, but I failed to realize/mention that the stock tire I'd be using as a spare is 225 wide and the other three are 245 wide. I know different widths are bad for xDrive, so I think that's not going to work right? I think I may have to put on all 4 stock wheels and tires just to get to the tire place safely, have them fix the one 20, and then reinstall all 20's.
You should be completely fine with that one narrow wheel going to the tire shop. Have you not seen other non-RF vehicle's spare tire? They are TINY, and often times not even with the same diameter. But that's what it's for: allowing you to use it temporarily until you get home/to a tire shop to get new replacement.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You'll be fine just switching out the front two (one being the flat anyway). So 225 up front and 245 back.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
You should be completely fine with that one narrow wheel going to the tire shop. Have you not seen other non-RF vehicle's spare tire? They are TINY, and often times not even with the same diameter. But that's what it's for: allowing you to use it temporarily until you get home/to a tire shop to get new replacement.
That is a good point.

I'll update if there are any developments today.
      08-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Best option: Run stocks, sell 20s for some 19s, enjoy

2nd option: Run stock fronts, buy one used tire from classifieds/ebay, replace single tire and put 20s back on (until it happens again)

I wouldn't run just one stock wheel with all-seasons. I know a lot of people on here don't seem to mind but running different tires left to right, especially one summer and one all-season, will make the car drive like crap/pull to one side and react awkwardly when turning. Even when I've had cars with spare tires I only use it to limp home, and drive something else until a replacement tire comes in. If you have the stocks on standby, just swap 2 if not all 4 until you can figure out the summer wheel/tire situation.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Best option: Run stocks, sell 20s for some 19s, enjoy

2nd option: Run stock fronts, buy one used tire from classifieds/ebay, replace single tire and put 20s back on (until it happens again)

I wouldn't run just one stock wheel with all-seasons. I know a lot of people on here don't seem to mind but running different tires left to right, especially one summer and one all-season, will make the car drive like crap/pull to one side and react awkwardly when turning. Even when I've had cars with spare tires I only use it to limp home, and drive something else until a replacement tire comes in. If you have the stocks on standby, just swap 2 if not all 4 until you can figure out the summer wheel/tire situation.
That's exactly what I did. I just swapped all four back to the stock wheels and tires, and can now figure out the deal with the summer setup. Deciding whether to just get all four new tires, one, just the fronts, still not sure. Any input on that would be nice But at least now I have my car back and can figure out the summer setup situation without being in too much of a rush.

Also, I'm not sure if the pothole is what caused the flat. All I could find with some bubbles was a small leak, as if done with a knife, in the outer sidewall, not a blowout or anything. Peculiar...
      08-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

The TPMS sensors in my aftermarket wheels aren't compatible with my car, so I don't have a tire-pressure monitoring system. Never really bothered me, I just checked pressures every third time I got in the car to make sure.
i have 2 questions. Since TPMS are now federally mandated,isn’t it illegal to defeat them?
Also,I thought that low profile tires are more of an issue with potholes. No one mentioned the 30 low profile tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

My car came with 17 inch rims and I upgraded to 18 inch with a 45 series tire, for my winter set of wheels and tires.

The 18 inchers have taken a couple SERIOUS hits -- I honestly have no idea how I did not bend a wheel or blow out a tire -- I bottomed out my suspension going a good 35-40mph, at least. The Youtube footage makes it look slower, but trust me, I was doing a decent clip, as the road looked smooth (sun was just coming up, so I couldn't see the enormous pot hole).

I attribute my luck to one thing: Tire pressure. I think this helps a lot, as sidewalls are WEAK compared to the tread-area of the tire. I keep it at 36 psi cold, and when they warm up they are 39-40 lbs (even in freezing temps). I'm pretty sure if I was running 32 lbs I would have blown out a side wall, at the very least.

Here's one of the hard hits, this last winter, when I was in the middle of FREAKING NOWHERE -- on my way up to a ski resort. If I would have blown-out a sidewall here I would have been majorly, majorly screwed.

This was on RIAL X10 replica wheels and Pirelli Sottozero 3 (go-flat) tires.

I've been **very** impressed with the durability of both. I couldn't even imagine riding around on 19 or 20 inch rims -- I'm pretty sure I would have bent the wheels or blown out the sidewalls, at least a couple times.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #18
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
i have 2 questions. Since TPMS are now federally mandated,isn’t it illegal to defeat them?
Also,I thought that low profile tires are more of an issue with potholes. No one mentioned the 30 low profile tires.
Didn't know that, but yah I guess it's illegal then.

It was mentioned that the 20 inch 30 profile setup is impractical, but the more I think about it I think I'm gonna stick with it. If it happens again, I'll ditch them, but I'm addicted to the look.
      08-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car came with 17 inch rims and I upgraded to 18 inch with a 45 series tire, for my winter set of wheels and tires.

The 18 inchers have taken a couple SERIOUS hits -- I honestly have no idea how I did not bend a wheel or blow out a tire -- I bottomed out my suspension going a good 35-40mph, at least. The Youtube footage makes it look slower, but trust me, I was doing a decent clip, as the road looked smooth (sun was just coming up, so I couldn't see the enormous pot hole).

I attribute my luck to one thing: Tire pressure. I think this helps a lot, as sidewalls are WEAK compared to the tread-area of the tire. I keep it at 36 psi cold, and when they warm up they are 39-40 lbs (even in freezing temps). I'm pretty sure if I was running 32 lbs I would have blown out a side wall, at the very least.

Here's one of the hard hits, this last winter, when I was in the middle of FREAKING NOWHERE -- on my way up to a ski resort. If I would have blown-out a sidewall here I would have been majorly, majorly screwed.

This was on RIAL X10 replica wheels and Pirelli Sottozero 3 (go-flat) tires.

I've been **very** impressed with the durability of both. I couldn't even imagine riding around on 19 or 20 inch rims -- I'm pretty sure I would have bent the wheels or blown out the sidewalls, at least a couple times.

Video isn't loading, but damn that sounds like it could've been very bad.
      08-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #20
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Whoops; video was set to "private". Should work now!
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Mine offered 18 inch as an 'upgrade', I made sure to get one with 17s. Larger rims with lower profile tires look nice, but they don't function as well and they're far more prone to damage, as there's not enough rubber and air to absorb shock from potholes and whatever else they may have to deal with.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, 18 inchers was an experiment. Not the best idea to up-size for a winter setup, but they have proven to be *extremely* durable (with the right tire pressure, at least).

Also, I gotta say: It's like the car was made for 18s. I can't believe the difference in how the car feels just going up one size and getting away from the ultra-shitty tramlining 17 inch run-flats. It's like I'm driving a whole different car -- well worth the trade off, for me. I just wish there was more sidewall protection for the wheels -- I know it's just a matter of time before I scrape them up.
Appreciate 0