F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Platinum Silver Metallic Color Thread
Studio RSR

07-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Garage List
Platinum Silver Metallic Color Thread

Hello all,

Just joined this wonderful forum after lurking for a bit. I'm planning on getting new wheels in the future but didn't have any reference for what wheel color works best with my paint. That's why I wanted to start a Platinum Silver Metallic color thread and see if there are any other F30s with this color scheme & aftermarket wheels.

The original alloy color/white is the only thing I can think of that works right now, but I'm excited to see what others are running.

Let me start with a side-shot of my car as it sits now
Name:  Sideshot BImmer.jpg
Views: 7792
Size:  245.3 KB
Appreciate 2
dharper29.00
_das_bae_374.50
      07-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Subscribing to this. Don't have aftermarket wheels at this time, though.
I have seen maybe one other Platinum Silver Metallic on here, which may have had aftermarket wheels.
My car is a 2016 328i Sport Line. I'm also planning on upgrading wheels at some point. The only mods so far are Bootmod3 stage 1 (worth it!), black grilles and I painted the "whiskers" in the bumper with Plasti-Dip.

Oh yeah, welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thank you! Yup, Bootmod3 is on my list of to-do stuff, but that's after the warranty expires!

By the way, beautiful car! You have the nice xenon lights too, I stuck with the halogens 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! Actually, the lights are the LCI LEDs (non-adaptive), which provide really good light out ahead of the car. The only downside is that both of the lights on each side of the assembly are lit (like newer Audi's, VWs, etc), and to most oncoming drivers they look like I'm overdriving my high beams, even when the fogs are on. They still aren't as bright as the awful LED bulbs in the lifted bro-dozers that the rednecks around here drive.

I was kinda hoping some other Platinum Silvers were out there and would've chimed in. I really dig this color. When I was looking for a 3er, I was looking at the usual silvers and greys when I came across this one and kept going back to it on the dealership website. Once I saw it in person, I had to have it.

Good luck with the wheel search. The 3 series lends itself to a lot of wheel options so there shouldn't be any shortage of choices of aftermarket or OEM wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thank you! I really hope some other Platinum Silver owners chime in because I'm low on ideas...

However I just saw a Reddit post with some Gunmetal Gray 400Ms and I couldn't help but imagine that wheel color with our paint!

And speaking of headlights I'm lucky because I have the LCI halogens, where there are four LEDs below the Halogens themselves. Definitely an upgrade over the pre-LCI halogens.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey xdrive_320i, did you ever get new wheels? I bought a set of VMR V703 18 in. square during Mod-bargain's Black Friday sale and had Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s put on them finally at the end of January.

Here's a quick shot:
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 03:46 AM   #7
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Either hyper black or satin black would look really nice on your cars

https://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/rhod...n-satin-black/

Yes the car in the link isn't an F3x or Platinum Silver, but the colour looks the closest and the combination is good IMO
      03-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #8
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Hey xdrive_320i, did you ever get new wheels? I bought a set of VMR V703 18 in. square during Mod-bargain's Black Friday sale and had Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s put on them finally at the end of January.

Here's a quick shot:
Holy crap! That looks so nice! Unfortunately, I haven't gotten new wheels yet, but this photo is just begging me to cop a nice set. Great look!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #9
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Either hyper black or satin black would look really nice on your cars

https://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/rhod...n-satin-black/

Yes the car in the link isn't an F3x or Platinum Silver, but the colour looks the closest and the combination is good IMO
Honestly, I'm torn between hyper silver and satin black. I love the brightness of the silver but the satin black might have a nice contrast with the Platinum Silver
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Here's my Platinum Silver 2016 328i (LCI) -- love, love, love, the color! I think I've only seen one other platinum silver F30 in the wild -- despite living in "BMW country" and seeing 3-series everywhere.

I upgraded the wheels to 18 inch RIAL X10s -- they look stock, which I love, and are very high quality.

First pic was at the dealership -- next to an e90 with nearly identical color scheme -- which I thought was cool.

Last pic was after a ski trip up to the mountains -- super dirty. I love x-drive -- have a pair of winter tires as well (sottozero 3).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
dharper29.00
_das_bae_374.50
cfm56d7b5849.00
      03-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

By the way, here is the most killer looking platinum silver metallic F30 I've seen.

They did the m-sport bumper conversion, wheels, lowered it, etc -- looks freaking sweet.

Appreciate 1
_das_bae_374.50
      03-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Here's my Platinum Silver 2016 328i (LCI) -- love, love, love, the color! I think I've only seen one other platinum silver F30 in the wild -- despite living in "BMW country" and seeing 3-series everywhere.

I upgraded the wheels to 18 inch RIAL X10s -- they look stock, which I love, and are very high quality.

First pic was at the dealership -- next to an e90 with nearly identical color scheme -- which I thought was cool.

Last pic was after a ski trip up to the mountains -- super dirty. I love x-drive -- have a pair of winter tires as well (sottozero 3).
Whew, your car is pretty! I also like the stock look of the RIALs and the concavity they have, making it look like an OEM+ build.

I've only seen 1 other Platinum Silver F30 in my area, and the funny thing is, it was also a 320i with the same wheels! Only exterior difference were the headlights (they had the angel eyes).

Honestly, I'm so used to seeing this color with the halogen headlights that that combo looks more natural to me than the angel eyes
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      03-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By the way, here is the most killer looking platinum silver metallic F30 I've seen.

They did the m-sport bumper conversion, wheels, lowered it, etc -- looks freaking sweet.

ooooo baby this is slick! Fun fact: I don't think this paint color was available the M-Sport package, so any car with that combo is custom. However, it looks so cool on this car, especially with the black accents. Now I can't decide between black or silver accents on my own car
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      03-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for finding the thread natesi. I'm pretty sure I've come across your pics in the past. I remember the wheels, which I really dig by the way.

That video of the converted Plat Silver is pretty sweet. I'm not a huge fan of wheel colors other than silver, but those in the vid don't look bad. Been also considering going with gloss black mirror covers, and was wondering how they would look against that color.

I used to occasionally see one other Platinum Silver Metallic 3er when I used to commute through Nashville. That's the only other time I've seen another one.
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      03-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks dudes; much appreciated!

Yeah, that was a cool youtube video -- although the car is a little "over done" for my taste -- but I still like it. It's interesting to see what certain mods would look like on this color. I've always wondered how an m-sport bumper conversion would look on a platinum silver metallic -- and, gotta say, I like it. Although I will probably never do the conversion myself. And yeah, I'm not a "black wheels" fan either, but I guess they are all the rage these days.

BTW, here's my interior -- it's not for everyone, but I love the beige. It seems really rare to find a beige interior with the sport seats and sport automatic transmission.

I HATE gloss and reflections though -- so I covered the wood with some matte-finish carbon fiber wrap, from 3M. It has held up really well -- over four and a half years now.
Attached Images

Last edited by natesi; 03-08-2021 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
[/:\] GP9000
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F31 330i

Garage List
The carbon interior looks neat and is a nice contrast. Was wondering if black kidneys and mirror caps are an option for you - complementing the black window trim.

Another idea: Wrapping in clear matt as in Frozen Platinum.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:35 AM   #17
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:

That combination looks really good - go for the darker wheels OP!
      03-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #18
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Thanks dudes; much appreciated!

Yeah, that was a cool youtube video -- although the car is a little "over done" for my taste -- but I still like it. It's interesting to see what certain mods would look like on this color. I've always wondered how an m-sport bumper conversion would look on a platinum silver metallic -- and, gotta say, I like it. Although I will probably never do the conversion myself. And yeah, I'm not a "black wheels" fan either, but I guess they are all the rage these days.

BTW, here's my interior -- it's not for everyone, but I love the beige. It seems really rare to find a beige interior with the sport seats and sport automatic transmission.

I HATE gloss and reflections though -- so I covered the wood with some matte-finish carbon fiber wrap, from 3M. It has held up really well -- over four and a half years now.
I love my beige interior too! My car is a 2017, so I have the two tone, but the beige seats feel so nice to look at compared to the standard black
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #19
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/:\] GP9000 View Post
The carbon interior looks neat and is a nice contrast. Was wondering if black kidneys and mirror caps are an option for you - complementing the black window trim.

Another idea: Wrapping in clear matt as in Frozen Platinum.
Thanks; just saw your reply. Yeah; clear matt, for a "frozen platinum" would be awesome!

The car actually came with black kidney grilles from the factory, but I didn't think it suited the look of the car -- so I got some chrome surround ones. Not that I like chrome that much, but it just seemed to go better on the front, in this color, I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #20
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Wow this color is beautiful, especially that video of the fully modded one!
Appreciate 1
dharper29.00
      04-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Subscribing to this. Don't have aftermarket wheels at this time, though.
I have seen maybe one other Platinum Silver Metallic on here, which may have had aftermarket wheels.
My car is a 2016 328i Sport Line. I'm also planning on upgrading wheels at some point. The only mods so far are Bootmod3 stage 1 (worth it!), black grilles and I painted the "whiskers" in the bumper with Plasti-Dip.

Oh yeah, welcome!
That is screaming for Alpina bits
      05-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #22
plugin330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2016

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive_320i View Post
Hello all,

Just joined this wonderful forum after lurking for a bit. I'm planning on getting new wheels in the future but didn't have any reference for what wheel color works best with my paint. That's why I wanted to start a Platinum Silver Metallic color thread and see if there are any other F30s with this color scheme & aftermarket wheels.

The original alloy color/white is the only thing I can think of that works right now, but I'm excited to see what others are running.

Let me start with a side-shot of my car as it sits now
Attachment 2360022
Hey i just bought mine. Mine has some replica GTS style wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1