F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > x-drive and a bad wheelspeed sensor.
GetBMWParts

06-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
bytterga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 GT

Garage List
x-drive and a bad wheelspeed sensor.

Just in case someone wonder what can happen when driving with bad wheelspeed sensors.
Last year i had a bad wheelspeed sensor at right rear and got all the alarms and warnings lights but the car drove fine until i changed it. Last week i got the same shit all over again on the on the sensor on the left rear. Ordered a new sensor and used the car as normal while waiting on the sensor.
Well, this time it did not drive normal. First i experienced some slight jerkyness in reverse while turning after a while driving forward too. Got a message in the idrive that it was a 4wd fault.
Pulled the faultcodes and i nearly had a stroke when it displayed:

440117: Four-wheel distributor gearbox temporarily shut down

48068C: Transfer case - clutch temporarily shut down, possibly overheating

I was sure it was unrelated to the wheelspeed sensor and just felt my bank account got dryed out buying a new transfer case.
Well, sensor arrived and i changed it, deleted the codes and went for a test drive. Everything works perfect. No jerkyness or anything.
I had no idea a wheelspeed sensor could cause so much hell but yes it can 😑
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The wheel speed sensor affects everything that relies on its information. That includes the ABS, transmission, transfer case, cruise control, even the auto deploy spoiler.
Appreciate 1