F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Intermittent rattle sound 320i
ARMA SPEED

07-22-2018, 04:47 AM   #1
Wizla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Intermittent rattle sound 320i

Hi all,

Bit of background about my car, had some rotten luck with it 9 months after buying, was having a bit of a spirited drive one day when I can up to a roundabout, had to stop to let someone pass and when I was braking my foot was slightly covering gas still which threw the revs up high whilst I was coming to a stop. Engine cut out and wouldn't restart, turns out it siezed up and the crankshaft was badly damaged.

Took it to a engine reconditioning centre in Thanet (UK) and they were able to give it the full work over and get it back to new. After receiving the car back a noise started to appear, so at the 6k miles service I took it back to the guys who did engine for them to try and pinpoint source of rattle.

They said it was where the turbo meets the exhaust (I'm not too engine savvy) and in order for them to fix it would mean stripping the turbo. They said it was nothing to worry about but I would like to get some other ears on it to see if it's someone that anyone else may have had an issue with.

Have lost a bit of faith in the engine after having it totally seize up on me, got the car at 75k miles and was not sure if it had been looked after or not from previous owner (was a fleet vehicle before I had it).

Only seem to hear this when it's idling, here's the video:

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0