F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Which Springs with Koni Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

07-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Question Which Springs with Koni Sport

What springs are a good match with the Koni Sport shocks/struts for a 2013 335i xDrive? I only want moderate lowering. Don't want the tires up to the wheel well.

Some back story. I've been trying to figure out what setup I want for about a month now. So many people say different things that I don't know what is accurate. I was originally going to get the Dinan springs since they are only a .75" drop. Some people claim the Dinan drop puts the tires up into the wheel well. I ended up deciding on the Eibach Pros, but then I hear that they will sag. I spoke with a performance shop, but they are also a Dinan dealer, and of course they recommend the Dinan setup which is only Koni struts that Dinan sells. Meaning Dinan turned the knob to what they feel is the best setting. But Dinan also recommends keeping the stock shocks in the rear of the car. I don't know how many people would agree with that when you can have adjustable Koni's in all four corners.

I just want to replace the shocks, springs, and sway bars to improve handling and get rid of the body roll. I don't want an overly stiff setup that is going to bounce all over the place on NJ weathered roads, and don't want the car dropped very low.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What's your budget for this project?

If considering springs only, there isn't any mechanism to adjust the suspension height after the fact. Springs settle as well.

For more precise range of the suspension height, coilovers are really the only option.

Coilovers with Individually adjustable dampen / rebound controls will give you more options to accommodate less than perfect NJ roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

I am not looking to adjust suspension height. I just want to make sure the springs that are installed with the Konis don't have a dramatic drop.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
I am not looking to adjust suspension height. I just want to make sure the springs that are installed with the Konis don't have a dramatic drop.
Was looking for Koni Sport myself few months back for my 335i xDrive. It's a struts set designed for lower spring (1" or more drops) and it's sold with Eibach sport spring in the full Koni set. Moderate lowering spring (Eibach Pro/ACS/dinan) will work but not optimal performance wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
Quote:
Was looking for Koni Sport myself few months back for my 335i xDrive. It's a struts set designed for lower spring (1" or more drops) and it's sold with Eibach sport spring in the full Koni set. Moderate lowering spring will work but not optimal performance wise.
The kit says up to 40mm, not 1" or more. Not to mention Dinan sells the sports with their springs that are .75" as an optimal configuration.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Eibach's are a moderate drop.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Are there any aftermarket springs that don't lower the car at all?
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:02 AM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

how about a set up like this? it says for F30 335i X-drive. although it is not height adjustable seems like a good price for a strut/spring combo. it maybe worth inquiring about. i think the pic shown is just a generic pic.

https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-1145-spo...waAmEAEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Pretty sure Dinan does not "recommend" leaving the stock rear shocks when going with their springs especially if they are non-dhp. The non-dhp stock rear shocks are the weakest point in the suspension setup and are extremely underdamped and way too soft with super slow rebound control, this is why the stock non-dhp suspension specifically on xdrive cars is so soft and floaty.

That being said, you really cannot go wrong with koni yellows and the dinan springs are a subtle drop and definitely dont tuck into the wheel wells or come even close.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Quote:
What springs are a good match with the Koni Sport shocks/struts for a 2013 335i xDrive? I only want moderate lowering. Don't want the tires up to the wheel well.

Some back story. I've been trying to figure out what setup I want for about a month now. So many people say different things that I don't know what is accurate. I was originally going to get the Dinan springs since they are only a .75" drop. Some people claim the Dinan drop puts the tires up into the wheel well. I ended up deciding on the Eibach Pros, but then I hear that they will sag. I spoke with a performance shop, but they are also a Dinan dealer, and of course they recommend the Dinan setup which is only Koni struts that Dinan sells. Meaning Dinan turned the knob to what they feel is the best setting. But Dinan also recommends keeping the stock shocks in the rear of the car. I don't know how many people would agree with that when you can have adjustable Koni's in all four corners.

I just want to replace the shocks, springs, and sway bars to improve handling and get rid of the body roll. I don't want an overly stiff setup that is going to bounce all over the place on NJ weathered roads, and don't want the car dropped very low.

OP,

Did you end up going with the Koni yellow's? If so, with what springs and what's your impression of the set up verses stock?

I'm considering the Koni / Eibach set-up from BavAuto but have concerns as to how stiff the yellow's are. I have an 2014 335i xdrive, non-adaptive, and am looking to get rid of the floaty Buick feel of the stock set up as well as some wheel gap but maintain daily-driver comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
I wanted to add to the discussion that KW Street Comfort coilovers will allow you to maintain OEM suspension geometry and height.
Appreciate 0