F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car detailing
Studio RSR

03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
The protection applied by the dealer will only last a short period. It felt sticky to the touch and may have even just been the residue from the transport wax. If it's a new product applied by the dealer it seems to be a quick spray wax or the like. I don't think it will have anything like the longevity of a decent wax or hybrid wax sealant or man made sealant.

The polish I've bought is less abrasive and so more suited to a new car that doesn't yet need the top of the paint finish cut back to remove the imperfections. Lime Prime is a mid-abrasive polish, the Supernatural Micro Prime I've bought is a very mildly abrasive polish and acts more like a deep paint cleanse. You can also get non-abrasive pre-wax cleansers, that just deep cleanse the paintwork without any physical action at all.

So, I'll strip off the existing stuff with a strong shampoo solution, then de-iron, clay bar and polish the car before applying protection.

I'll put Supernatural Wax on my paint, sealed and occasionally topped up with Supernatural Spritz. For my wheels I intend to use Supernatural Hybrid Paste. Glass to be sealed with Supernatural Glass Sealant. All washed with the matching and gentle Supernatural shampoo.

I'm maybe a little OCD about this all... But, she's worth it...
You spend that money on a car and look after as best as you can...nothing OCD about it mate..unless I am also LOL
      03-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #24
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
How bad is the car for a start? A DA polisher with a selection of pads would probably do...with a DA it is harder to make an arse of it, unless it is soft paint which BMW is not. A rotary concentrates on one part/spot of the pain where as a DA is constantly moving at a lower speed....so can take longer although much safer and harder to make an arse of.

As some have said

Wash with 2 buckets and a decent wash mitt (not sponges)
Autosmart Tardis to remove any tar etc. (rinse car afterwards)
Clay bar or clay mitt process
DA the car..this can take a whole long day dependant on the paint condition
wipe down with a 50/50 solution of IPA and water to get rid of the polish oils
Apply a durable wax, which can range from £20 to £200..if it is durabilti you want either Collonite 476 or Soft99 Fusso coat...or Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid wax (this is actually very good for £25).

Maintain the car from there with a PH natural shampoo such as Chemical Guys Glossworkz, dry with a microfiber and maintain with a QD spray.

If you want some advice on DA and polishing products and a place to buy them, call David at Chemical Guys UK...he is very helpful and will point you in the right direction.

Other stuff I have mentioned can be bought on ebay.
If i tell my dealer not to touch the car when it arrives, then i suppose ther wont be any scratches or swirls...does it still need machine polish and claying??
      03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
If i tell my dealer not to touch the car when it arrives, then i suppose ther wont be any scratches or swirls...does it still need machine polish and claying??
best thing to do is get the car under the lights.

BUT..the dealer will polish the car with a product that is filler heavy..so the swirls and scratches will be filled so when you see it, it will shine like a new penny. A few washes it will be gone. It shouldn't be that bad if I am honest..unless it is black.

It's black isn't it?
      03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The protection applied by the dealer will only last a short period. It felt sticky to the touch and may have even just been the residue from the transport wax. If it's a new product applied by the dealer it seems to be a quick spray wax or the like. I don't think it will have anything like the longevity of a decent wax or hybrid wax sealant or man made sealant.

The polish I've bought is less abrasive and so more suited to a new car that doesn't yet need the top of the paint finish cut back to remove the imperfections. Lime Prime is a mid-abrasive polish, the Supernatural Micro Prime I've bought is a very mildly abrasive polish and acts more like a deep paint cleanse. You can also get non-abrasive pre-wax cleansers, that just deep cleanse the paintwork without any physical action at all.

So, I'll strip off the existing stuff with a strong shampoo solution, then de-iron, clay bar and polish the car before applying protection.

I'll put Supernatural Wax on my paint, sealed and occasionally topped up with Supernatural Spritz. For my wheels I intend to use Supernatural Hybrid Paste. Glass to be sealed with Supernatural Glass Sealant. All washed with the matching and gentle Supernatural shampoo.

Will you do mine? You sound pro
      03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

And what ever you do..don't buy any that Autobrite stuff.
      03-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
best thing to do is get the car under the lights.

BUT..the dealer will polish the car with a product that is filler heavy..so the swirls and scratches will be filled so when you see it, it will shine like a new penny. A few washes it will be gone. It shouldn't be that bad if I am honest..unless it is black.

It's black isn't it?
Estoril blue
      03-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #29
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

Lol as soon as you get hooked it is very OCD.

My neighbour thinks I am mad, snow foam ironX, swissvax autobahn rim wax, etc etc lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
And what ever you do..don't buy any that Autobrite stuff.
Lol what's wrong with autobrite stuff?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #31
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Estoril blue
It will show up any swirls etc under a strong light or natural sun light (that yellow thing that appears in the sky a few times a year..remember?)

The car will be far from perfect anyways and it wont do any harm to have the stuff ready to go and you will need to do it in 4-6 months anyways.
      03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Dont trust bmw seal protect...its only £10 on ebay
      03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

Some good replies and good links. I'm a keen detailer myself and find the hand application products sufficient to keep my Beamer is good keep.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It will show up any swirls etc under a strong light or natural sun light (that yellow thing that appears in the sky a few times a year..remember?)

The car will be far from perfect anyways and it wont do any harm to have the stuff ready to go and you will need to do it in 4-6 months anyways.
So whats your advice..get it done by pro detailer or do it myself without machine polish?
      03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Lol what's wrong with autobrite stuff?
I just don't like it...had a good few products to test out, found some of the stuff very filler heavy and the stuff just doesn't last, seem to have to use more of it in a shorter period of time if that makes sense.

I just didn't rate it at all.....plus it is made just down the road from me, anchem or something. So it is nothing special at high prices.
      03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc943 View Post
Some good replies and good links. I'm a keen detailer myself and find the hand application products sufficient to keep my Beamer is good keep.
Did you get yours detailed for the first time??
      03-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just don't like it...had a good few products to test out, found some of the stuff very filler heavy and the stuff just doesn't last, seem to have to use more of it in a shorter period of time if that makes sense.

I just didn't rate it at all.....plus it is made just down the road from me, anchem or something. So it is nothing special at high prices.
They are based in Stoke, I tend to just get snow foam and bits n bobs.

Might be worth having a sticky on car cleaning etc as we head towards summer.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #38
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
So whats your advice..get it done by pro detailer or do it myself without machine polish?
You could do it yourself with a DA...very hard to do any harm with a DA polisher, especially on BMW paint. You will get plenty of advice on line and a guy called Dave KG did a very very good tutorial for DA and rotary polishing on DW...I will try and find it for you.

However, if you have a look on DW, some of the detailing companies do training day ranging from £75 upwards, they will show how to use a DA, use the correct products etc. and it is knowledge you can use for the future.
      03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #39
bandit2014
Rep
Drives: F30 - 328i M Sport

My new car arrives next week, I have told bmw not to wash or polish it, my detailer will inspect the car and approve or reject. If approved I will drive it to his studio(as they call it), he will do the business on it, fully prepare it inside out using gtechniq products which come with a 5 year warranty if applied by an approved detailer, 3 days later I pick it up and then get to show off my new ride.

Never let the dealer touch your car.

Never take your car to the car wash.

Never take your car to the Hand car wash £10 inside out.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #40
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

You can easily do it yourself, by hand... However, if you're not sure a detailer will do a fantastic job inside and not weather dependant...

If you get a detailer to do it they will recommend and most likely sell you the products to maintain their work. Once you're a bit more practiced/confident you can strip back, by hand, and re-apply once your chosen protection has worn off.
      03-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #41
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
They are based in Stoke, I tend to just get snow foam and bits n bobs.

Might be worth having a sticky on car cleaning etc as we head towards summer.
The magifoam is the same as CG's Notouch, I have seen the dilution ratio's...frightening. Both come from anchem Renfrew.
The likes of CG's shampoo's, cleaner etc are from the states, I know this for a fact and the Glossworkz is superb.
Try the Espuma Snow foam...£15 for 5 litres or something delivered. The Espuma RD50 tyre stuff it excellent aswell. £30 for 5 litre and it lasts for years.
      03-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #42
bandit2014
Rep
Drives: F30 - 328i M Sport

Forgot to mention he takes the wheels off and treats them inside out
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #43
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You could do it yourself with a DA...very hard to do any harm with a DA polisher, especially on BMW paint. You will get plenty of advice on line and a guy called Dave KG did a very very good tutorial for DA and rotary polishing on DW...I will try and find it for you.

However, if you have a look on DW, some of the detailing companies do training day ranging from £75 upwards, they will show how to use a DA, use the correct products etc. and it is knowledge you can use for the future.
Sorry whats DA DW
      03-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #44
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Sorry whats DA DW
sorry mate..my bad

Dual Action and Detailing World.