F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rounding up AH3 for BM3 or MHD?
proTUNING Freaks

01-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #353
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Hello frens.

I'm looking a new car with 4 doors to replace my 135i.
I'd like a hybrid and am considering a 335i, AH3, or 330e.

Anyone with experience tuning this thing give me feedback?

Seems as though a nice tune plus the motor could get an AH3 up to 400ish hp, which with a weight at 3600 lbs, is close to the M3. And prices for these are great.

However, I question the whole idea because the emotor replaces the torque converter. Wouldn't messing with the power mess up the shifting process? How do you know if the computer program running the emotor in the transmission is performing its job correctly for the new power?

Has anyone been brave enough to track one of these? Could be amazing even stock with its power, yet I can feel my ZF6 heating up at the track, can the emotor in the transmission handle this type of stress? Surely BMW the AH3 with performance in mind offering an M sport version.

Next question: 330e seems safer to tune. The engine is detuned down to 180 so bumping it up to its normal 240 is easy plus the 80 HP from the emotor puts you at a respectable 300+. The downside is, its a rebranded AH3 but with a big fat pig battery in the back weighing in at 3800. Your power weight is down 11.5, IF the tune works with transmission. from the wonderful AH3's 10.9 or if the tuning works out a solid 9, which sits happily with an M3.

Of course the 335i is the obvious choice for light track duty, but, I'm simply going to be depressed going from a 135i N54 to a fatter 335i N55 with a slight drop in performance due to weight and prices are still $30k (more if you want a stick). Hard to feel good about dropping a bunch of cash and going slower with not even a MPG improvement.

So anyway, opinions on tuning, what you would do, and over reliability welcome. I'm strongly eying the 2013 as they sit at $16k. I guess people fear the battery replacement?
Hi!

I did a couple of track days with the AH3, it's fine if you upgrade the suspension to something stiffer in my view, or the weight tranfers will be hard to manage; that being said these cars, 335 or AH3 or 330e are no track beasts, and to be honest i didn't even like the m3 more, they're all heavy.

The front end camber out of factory is also an issue for track duty, and you need a solution to this, caber plates or other.

I like the AH3 on the road, it's fast and powerful enough, and when you can adjust camber it's agile enough too. The I6 engine is what i wanted vs the I4 of the 330e.

Tuning wise, i managed to get a stable tune from a local tuner but it wasn't powerful enough for a stage 2, they claimed fueling issues, i suspect something else like load limiter as my hpfp has never shown any weakness in my bm3 logs.

B48 engine i think is just starting to get tuned, not yet supported by bm3.

I don't think any of us experienced issues with the gearbox, these things are designed to handle more torque than a regular 335i if you look at the specs.

If you're into tracking perhaps aim for m135i/m235i they are lighter, slightly tuned (over 335i), come with increased negative camber from factory.
I wish on the 235i, but my wife demands 4 doors.

I guess general question about the F30: is the sport or (Msport suspension of you like the new marketing name) in the M package essentially the same as the sport suspension that came with my e82?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the F30 being far too Mercedes like and floaty compared to the previous generation. Is this for the base suspension or does it also apply to the sport as well.

Is yours equipped with the sport suspension.

Glad you like the AH3, and appreciate your response.

Also, for reference, I had the chance to ride along in a 911 carrera at Road America, it seems to me, as passenger the base Porsche suspension tune is equivalent of the sport suspension upgrade on my 135i. And my personal take is both are just barely suited to track use in stock form. Tough to manage weight but still able to keep up with slower M4 drivers.

Great on the street though.

I am attracted to the AH3 because it's low price leaves me plenty of money to make it track ready.

Of course, I'd like an M3 but I won't be dropping more than $30k on a toy with my mountain of loans from school still haunting me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #354
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
Quote:
Hi

Got a test map today from Halim, short test but feels good:
- did not get pulsating idle
- idrive gauges fixed
Generally good feeling the map feels consistent.

Still no burbles, and still have dme tamper code though, but these were more important issues to fix.
Any ETA on an OTS update? I am at very random seeing small surges at idle now.
We're still on it, the test map that was good when i posted this has started acting up since then, i got another test map but it didn't resolve the issue.
Ok so that was a case of resetting learned adaptations;

i flashed again the test map and after doing that did the learned adaptations reset —> seems fine now, i'll do a bit more tests half and full throttle and see how things go when i can - but we seem good now.

Still no burbles though :-)
      01-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #355
nucl1
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

- idrive gauges fixed

Still no burbles, and still have dme tamper code though, but these were more important issues to fix.
We're still on it, the test map that was good when i posted this has started acting up since then, i got another test map but it didn't resolve the issue.

i flashed again the test map and after doing that did the learned adaptations reset —> seems fine now, i'll do a bit more tests half and full throttle and see how things go when i can - but we seem good now.

Thank you ! I've reset the learned adaptations (v4 map) and the rough start and oscillating idle is now gone.
The only issue left now is self-accelerating in low RPM. was this solved in any of your test versions Lancelot ?
      01-11-2019, 03:17 AM   #356
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

- idrive gauges fixed

Thank you ! I've reset the learned adaptations (v4 map) and the rough start and oscillating idle is now gone.
The only issue left now is self-accelerating in low RPM. was this solved in any of your test versions Lancelot ?
Yes that's been resolved as well, so i'm sure halim can do that for the next OTS but best submit a ticket too for your car
      01-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #357
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

- idrive gauges fixed

Yes that's been resolved as well, so i'm sure halim can do that for the next OTS but best submit a ticket too for your car
I stand corrected - i had the issue this morning in traffic , car would accelerate at zero throttle. I'll check with Halim
afranke207.00
      01-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #358
nucl1
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

- idrive gauges fixed

I stand corrected - i had the issue this morning in traffic , car would accelerate at zero throttle. I'll check with Halim
I retract my statements as well. It was ok for a day after the reset, now rough start and idle revving is back. opening a ticket
      01-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #359
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Just to keep you posted, there's something at play I don't understand... One day it's fine, the next it's pulsating again.
I'm on a fourth test map which was just fine yesterday and the day before and today is unstable.
      01-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #360
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Just to keep you posted, there's something at play I don't understand... One day it's fine, the next it's pulsating again.
I'm on a fourth test map which was just fine yesterday and the day before and today is unstable.
How many miles/km do you average a day?

Do you think it’s the ECU adjusting to the new map?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #361
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
How goes the testing? Any progress thusfar? I got a test map from Halim a few days back, but I'm curious to know if you've done more.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #362
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How goes the testing? Any progress thusfar? I got a test map from Halim a few days back, but I'm curious to know if you've done more.
Hi!

Not going so well, the map isn't stable, pulsating idle and hiccups while driving - problem is the same map was perfect the day i flashed it and the next, then it wasn't anymore and that randomness makes it hard to understand.

So i'm back to stock tune for now, but i'm not sure if they know what to do next.

How is it with you on PWG maps? Are you experiencing the same symptoms?
It was actually better on the V1 of the OTS map this summer after a few changes

Last edited by Lancelot; 01-19-2019 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #363
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

afranke Lancelot

What happened with your working with cookiesowns on the BM3 tune for AH3

Was gung-ho last Summer but hasn’t posted in this thread over the last 6 months and you haven’t mentioned him?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #364
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

On another note, just got a reply from xHP, they won't support hybrid drivetrains, bad news for us.
      01-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #365
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On another note, just got a reply from xHP, they won't support hybrid drivetrains, bad news for us.
WTF

What about my earlier question?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #366
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
WTF

Yeah, that sucks. I keep seeing this trend of people not wanting to work on hybrid cars. I truly believe in the next few years many high performance cars will be hybrids, and these guys would have had a chance to get a head start.

That being said, now that I have my new DD I can focus on long-term projects with the AH3 a bit more. My goal at this point is to get a good working E85 tune with PI. As a next step, I need to obtain a new PI controller and get rolling. I'll reach out to cookiesowns again once I have that all set up.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #367
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
WTF

Yeah, that sucks. I keep seeing this trend of people not wanting to work on hybrid cars. I truly believe in the next few years many high performance cars will be hybrids, and these guys would have had a chance to get a head start.

That being said, now that I have my new DD I can focus on long-term projects with the AH3 a bit more. My goal at this point is to get a good working E85 tune with PI. As a next step, I need to obtain a new PI controller and get rolling. I'll reach out to cookiesowns again once I have that all set up.
What have you been using for control?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #368
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What have you been using for control?
I just haven't been using it for months since I took off the JB4 and controller box. That's what happens when you have a kid for the first time, I suppose.

EDIT: I just ordered a controller, so we'll see what happens when it gets here.

Last edited by afranke; 01-22-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #369
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
WTF

Quote:
Quote:
WTF

Exactly my thinking!
20% of 5 series are now hybrid drivetrains
Next m5 is likely to be hybrid as well i think
Not sure about upcoming m3.

The thing is, they probably need to tune the drivetrain as a whole as opposed to just the combustion engine, DME, EME (the dme of the edrive) and transmission.
      01-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #370
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
afranke Lancelot

Was gung-ho last Summer but hasn't posted in this thread over the last 6 months and you haven't mentioned him?
Quote:
afranke Lancelot

Was gung-ho last Summer but hasn't posted in this thread over the last 6 months and you haven't mentioned him?
At this point i think it best to wait for Halim's feedback, as at some point i had a decently working map derived from the original OTS map.
      01-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #371
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

I just wish we had more detail on what the cause/fix is for the issues we're seeing (such as max torque exceeded) so that when we get custom tuners involved they don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #372
0x6d71
Rep

I am running the V4 Stage 2 93 map on a PWG AH3, and have had similar issues to those mentioned by others (rough start, oscillating idle speed and unintended acceleration at low speed).

Firstly let me say that I am currently happy to tolerate the minor inconveniences for the increased performance, and am happy to chip away at the issues over time. I really hope that the BM3 team stick with the AH3 guys to continue to improve the tune (even though there may only be a handful of us).

I too did not have any issues for the first few days (I made a point to cold start it the following morning as I had disabled the cat warm-up and wanted to see what difference it made to cold start noise levels) but I started having a rough cold start a few days in. At some point thereafter I noticed the idle fluctuation at standstill (I almost never have the engine idling - it is off by the time I come to a stop - so unsure how early this developed as it likely went unnoticed for a while). The unintended acceleration has never happened at a standstill, only when driving slowly with the petrol engine running with either little or no throttle applied - it is generally minor (i.e. another person driving the car wouldn't notice) but has been more noticeable at times (i.e. I need to get on the brakes fairly hard to come to a complete stop).

A week ago I decided to reflash the tune with the only settings changes from OTS being to set the burbles to OEM and disable the o2 sensor CEL (I have a catless DP). I also reset adaptations immediately after flashing (using the BM3 interface). I have only driven it twice since and it has been perfect (with the exception of having the idle fluctuation immediately after clearing the adaptations, but this cleared up after 5 minutes of driving), but I am expecting the issues to return (as seems to have been the case for others, and as I experienced when I initially flashed the tune).

I never ran any earlier versions of the Stage 2 tunes, so not sure if this issue is something new that has been introduced in V4 or is an existing issue.

Also, I don't recall having these issues on the V3 Stage 1 93 map (but I only ran this for a maybe 2 weeks before I replaced the IC and DP and changed over to Stage 2). Has anyone else got any feedback on the Stage 1 tune in regards to these issues?

I intend to capture some logs when (if?) the issues return and log a ticket - unfortunately I only tend to drive once or twice a week so it might take me a while to capture a log while it is misbehaving.

Does anybody understand the relationship between the BM3 tune for the AH3 and the 335i? (i.e. is our tune built off their tune or are the two completely built from scratch independently?) As I understand, the 335i guys aren't having these issues - is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #373
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6d71 View Post
I am running the V4 Stage 2 93 map on a PWG AH3, and have had similar issues to those mentioned by others (rough start, oscillating idle speed and unintended acceleration at low speed).

Firstly let me say that I am currently happy to tolerate the minor inconveniences for the increased performance, and am happy to chip away at the issues over time. I really hope that the BM3 team stick with the AH3 guys to continue to improve the tune (even though there may only be a handful of us).

I too did not have any issues for the first few days (I made a point to cold start it the following morning as I had disabled the cat warm-up and wanted to see what difference it made to cold start noise levels) but I started having a rough cold start a few days in. At some point thereafter I noticed the idle fluctuation at standstill (I almost never have the engine idling - it is off by the time I come to a stop - so unsure how early this developed as it likely went unnoticed for a while). The unintended acceleration has never happened at a standstill, only when driving slowly with the petrol engine running with either little or no throttle applied - it is generally minor (i.e. another person driving the car wouldn't notice) but has been more noticeable at times (i.e. I need to get on the brakes fairly hard to come to a complete stop).

A week ago I decided to reflash the tune with the only settings changes from OTS being to set the burbles to OEM and disable the o2 sensor CEL (I have a catless DP). I also reset adaptations immediately after flashing (using the BM3 interface). I have only driven it twice since and it has been perfect (with the exception of having the idle fluctuation immediately after clearing the adaptations, but this cleared up after 5 minutes of driving), but I am expecting the issues to return (as seems to have been the case for others, and as I experienced when I initially flashed the tune).

I never ran any earlier versions of the Stage 2 tunes, so not sure if this issue is something new that has been introduced in V4 or is an existing issue.

Also, I don't recall having these issues on the V3 Stage 1 93 map (but I only ran this for a maybe 2 weeks before I replaced the IC and DP and changed over to Stage 2). Has anyone else got any feedback on the Stage 1 tune in regards to these issues?

I intend to capture some logs when (if?) the issues return and log a ticket - unfortunately I only tend to drive once or twice a week so it might take me a while to capture a log while it is misbehaving.

Does anybody understand the relationship between the BM3 tune for the AH3 and the 335i? (i.e. is our tune built off their tune or are the two completely built from scratch independently?) As I understand, the 335i guys aren't having these issues - is that correct?
This is very similar to what i experienced with V1 of the EWG map, which halim eventually corrected.

Now in v3 (should be close to pwg v4) it's also unstable while driving which is an issue

I have a new test map to try now, hopefully it brings together fixes introduced by v3 with the genral stability i had on last summer test map.

Interesting comment about stage 1 being immune to this, i've never tried it (did not buy the license for all other ots maps so far)
      01-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #374
nucl1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6d71 View Post

I have exactly the same issues and I'm running Stage 1 93 on a PWG.