F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS tune now available for 335i, 435i, 535i Electronic Wastegate
Extreme Powerhouse

08-19-2015, 03:49 AM   #243
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iFanatiker View Post
Here's what I noticed when I had the Stage 2, CAI, and FFE installed on my 435i M-sport: definite cool factor from the exhaust, some slight noise from the CAI. In Sport, the throttle is VERY touchy and responsive, almost like with a manual transmission. Comfort mode less so. Eco mode is basicaaskinglly dead, it registers little if any benefit now, even on the highway. Although, a couple months on, I'm still getting 25-26 mpg, and I drive in all three modes regularly.

In terms of power, at low rpm and from a stop, little if any noticeable increase, perhaps a bit of squat when you gun it, and frankly some sluggishness in Sport and Eco. Put the car in M/S, run high RPM, and you absolutely feel the difference. Even doing 80+ mph, the car has more get up and go.
Kind of sucks that you have to push it all the way up the rpm band to actually feel it. I would've preferred the power in the low to mid rpms.

Dinan did claim to put out about 400 lb-ft torque at 2500 rpm. That's what I was most excited about
You feel it everywhere. But....the place where more power and torque is needed most in the N55 is higher rpm's where the curve flattens out a bit early. Well, in Dinan's power delivery, not only do you have more down low, but you have it up top too....and it's really felt up top because that's where the weak spot was.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #244
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
You feel it everywhere. But....the place where more power and torque is needed most in the N55 is higher rpm's where the curve flattens out a bit early. Well, in Dinan's power delivery, not only do you have more down low, but you have it up top too....and it's really felt up top because that's where the weak spot was.
What the heck happened to my car then? lol.
I feel all the power in the high end!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #245
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What the heck happened to my car then? lol.
I feel all the power in the high end!
Do you feel less torque down low than before you got the tune??
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #246
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't feel anything at all after the tune.
But we suspect that something wasn't installed correctly.
Dinan sent the BMW tech some diagnostic tools and my car is currently in the shop.

They've had it for 2 full days now trying to figure things out.

Hopefully they figure it out and I'll get the car I was hoping for!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #247
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I honestly don't feel anything at all after the tune.
But we suspect that something wasn't installed correctly.
Dinan sent the BMW tech some diagnostic tools and my car is currently in the shop.

They've had it for 2 full days now trying to figure things out.

Hopefully they figure it out and I'll get the car I was hoping for!
When I inquired with Dinan about the assurance that my tune was installed (and installed correctly), they said that they have a way of remotely detecting whether your car was programmed or not. Did they check on that for you? Just curious as I'm wondering if they say, "yes, it looks like it was tuned from our viewpoint" and then in reality it isn't on there. I'm always paranoid when I don't see physical evidence.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #248
epistax
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 IX GC

Quote:
When I inquired with Dinan about the assurance that my tune was installed (and installed correctly), they said that they have a way of remotely detecting whether your car was programmed or not. Did they check on that for you? Just curious as I'm wondering if they say, "yes, it looks like it was tuned from our viewpoint" and then in reality it isn't on there. I'm always paranoid when I don't see physical evidence.
I'm a bit concerned. I was thinking about getting the stage 1 (eventually upgrading to stage 2) and doing the installation myself. I read the installation guide online and it seems like no big deal. If a dealership can make a mistake, what hope do I have? What kind of mistake would they make?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #249
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistax
Quote:
I'm a bit concerned. I was thinking about getting the stage 1 (eventually upgrading to stage 2) and doing the installation myself. I read the installation guide online and it seems like no big deal. If a dealership can make a mistake, what hope do I have? What kind of mistake would they make?
Great point....I'd like to know also out of pure curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #250
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistax View Post
Dealers for the most part stock un-programmed units. This gives them flexibility in the field to program for any car that may come in to the shop. A retail user would have a pre-programmed box that simply requires the physical installation. On the dealer side they are programming the unit via bluetooth at the shop in addition to the hardware installation. When programming via bluetooth there can be drops in connection if the car and the bluetooth receiver are too far away from each other or any some other type of bluetooth failure which could lead to a failed programming. Thats typically the most common reason why there would be a failed installation. If the tech isnt paying close enough attention they may just skip through the dialogue boxes telling them this and just assumed it was programmed. Now that we have built up some decent stock some dealers are just ordering more and more programmed units if they are given a heads up on install before hand that way they simply just have to do the physical installation and that potential pitfall is avoided.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #251
epistax
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 IX GC

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dealers for the most part stock un-programmed units. This gives them flexibility in the field to program for any car that may come in to the shop. A retail user would have a pre-programmed box that simply requires the physical installation. On the dealer side they are programming the unit via bluetooth at the shop in addition to the hardware installation. When programming via bluetooth there can be drops in connection if the car and the bluetooth receiver are too far away from each other or any some other type of bluetooth failure which could lead to a failed programming. Thats typically the most common reason why there would be a failed installation. If the tech isnt paying close enough attention they may just skip through the dialogue boxes telling them this and just assumed it was programmed. Now that we have built up some decent stock some dealers are just ordering more and more programmed units if they are given a heads up on install before hand that way they simply just have to do the physical installation and that potential pitfall is avoided.
Thanks, that actually makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #252
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
This is the route I went. Had you all program DT box for my car, then had dealer do install. Wanted to eliminate any possibility of dealer programming errors

Now you all need to giddy up with S4!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #253
Webic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
On the dealer side they are programming the unit via bluetooth at the shop in addition to the hardware installation.
Would really like it if Dinan provided a Good/Bad or Programming app to consumers to validate functionality.

After a year of having it, I'm convinced that it's there and working, but I would love to be able to validate it's working.

This would be even more important to me as I'm considering doing the Stage 2 upgrade, and would like to either do the flash myself, or confirm it was done properly after having the dealer do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #254
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webic
Quote:
On the dealer side they are programming the unit via bluetooth at the shop in addition to the hardware installation.
Would really like it if Dinan provided a Good/Bad or Programming app to consumers to validate functionality.

After a year of having it, I'm convinced that it's there and working, but I would love to be able to validate it's working.

This would be even more important to me as I'm considering doing the Stage 2 upgrade, and would like to either do the flash myself, or confirm it was done properly after having the dealer do it.
Great idea...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #255
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I got my car back from BMW. They confirmed that the stage 2 was installed correctly by using the dinan tool to measure the amount of boost being pushed. My car is pushing around 14psi of boost according to the tool.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I am quite disappointed with the tune. My friends 2011 M3 is much more fun to drive than my 335 xi with the stage 2.
I was hoping the tune would make it more in line with his m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #256
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm looking at all the specs that were posted by dinan and what The Nerd was saying that he felt like the top end is where he feels where the power is lacking.

According to that statement and what dinan posts as stock and their numbers, it totally makes sense. You can see the torque dropping in the higher rpms.

My car feels very different from that curve. I feel like my power really kicks in after 4k rpm. Which is not what those numbers posted indicate.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Maybe my car is just off.

Would a dyno run mean anything at all? I don't have a baseline dyno. But at least I should be able to see the numbers following a similar graph, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #257
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking at all the specs that were posted by dinan and what The Nerd was saying that he felt like the top end is where he feels where the power is lacking.

According to that statement and what dinan posts as stock and their numbers, it totally makes sense. You can see the torque dropping in the higher rpms.

My car feels very different from that curve. I feel like my power really kicks in after 4k rpm. Which is not what those numbers posted indicate.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Maybe my car is just off.

Would a dyno run mean anything at all? I don't have a baseline dyno. But at least I should be able to see the numbers following a similar graph, correct?
I'm sorry about your dilemma. To be clear, I feel the top end IS where the power really improves (it sounded like you implied the opposite). My 0-60 is probably similar to Stage 1 (probably a tenth or two faster), but my 60-120 is where I picked up a full second over stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #258
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Lots of great Dinan information on this old thread. I wonder why it stopped?

Last edited by lkstaack; 05-31-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #259
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Threads come and go. It happens in the life on the Internet.

As for myself, have been waiting about three months for the Dinan Big Turbo part so the dealership can then install full Stage 4 (we're on Stage 2 now).

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 05-31-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #260
BeeEyez
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i Dinan Stage 3

Quote:

Short answer is yes. You can sell the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner or transfer it to another vehicle at any time BUT it would have to be transferred to a "like" vehicle meaning one F30 335i user would only be able to sell it to another F30 335i user to ensure no additional charges would be incurred. DINANTRONICS is essentially made up of 3 pieces; a generic ECU, a harness (there will be 3-4 types depending on vehicle), and model specific software that is loaded onto the Dinan ECU. All of these things would have to match in order to sell or transfer to another user without incurring additional charges. You can still sell or transfer the unit if you like to a "non-like" vehicle but the new user MAY have to purchase a new harness and WILL have to purchase new model specific software to load into the Dinan ECU.

For example if a 335i owner sold the unit to an M5 user the only piece that would actually work for the new user would be the generic ECU since there is a different harness involved and of course different software.

Then there is the issue of the warranty. The warranty is directly tied to the VIN of the original users vehicle and registered when software is installed on the box. There are many caveats to this part but the easy synopsis of that is the warranty is not transferable from one vehicle to another. If you have any specific questions on this aspect I encourage you too contact the sales department for a better explanation.
So how would I go about getting a new software flash for a unit that was for a 335 on to my current 435?

Also can I use the dinan sport with dinan stage 2 piggyback?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #261
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEyez View Post
So how would I go about getting a new software flash for a unit that was for a 335 on to my current 435?

Also can I use the dinan sport with dinan stage 2 piggyback?
Assuming they are the both electronic wastegate cars then the old unit will work on the new car just fine. New car wouldn't have warranty as that is tied to the original vehicle but it would work just fine.

You don't want to stack the piggybacks. Nothing good will come from it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #262
BeeEyez
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i Dinan Stage 3

Quote:
Assuming they are the both electronic wastegate cars then the old unit will work on the new car just fine. New car wouldn't have warranty as that is tied to the original vehicle but it would work just fine.

You don't want to stack the piggybacks. Nothing good will come from it.
Got it, thank you! So even tho the part numbers are different it should just be plug and play? Or would I have to get a 435-specific tune from you guys even though the motors are the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #263
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEyez View Post
Got it, thank you! So even tho the part numbers are different it should just be plug and play? Or would I have to get a 435-specific tune from you guys even though the motors are the same?
Part number should be identical assuming its the same wastegate and its a non-mppk or mppk car (depending on what the original vehicle was).
Appreciate 0