F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge Pipe failure...again
GetBMWParts

10-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
how many miles with this set-up?
3K. Only have JB4 on map 1 and AFE Momentum pro 5 r intake.

Must be the Shell V-Power...LOL I'm hoping it's a freak occurrence and I can run my replacement CP for awhile. I'd much rather spend the $ on a DP vs a CP.

Last edited by stxf30; 10-01-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #24
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxf30 View Post
Cracked my CP today. JB4 on map 1 and intake. In sport mode dipped in about 60% tryna to maintain traction, hit 3rd and POW!WTH come on BMW.
Ah crap.. Get an ER charge pipe on their ASAP. Some duct tape may hold you over for a couple days. These failures seem to be getting more common. Even the M3/M4 is cracking charge pipe. BMW doesn't seem to be able to get this charge pipe thing down.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #25
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Cracked my CP today. JB4 on map 1 and intake. In sport mode dipped in about 60% tryna to maintain traction, hit 3rd and POW!WTH come on BMW.
Ah crap.. Get an ER charge pipe on their ASAP. Some duct tape may hold you over for a couple days. These failures seem to be getting more common. Even the M3/M4 is cracking charge pipe. BMW doesn't seem to be able to get this charge pipe thing down.

Mike
Yea Mike. That's the direction I'm heading. I didn't think I'd have to worry about it until map 2 or better. I thought I'd read this wasn't as much an issue with the F30s, but oh well. I limped it to the stealer today and they gave a loaner. Funny thing is this 320i feels just like my car did with 0 boost! So I'll be putting around for a few days.
      10-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Yea Mike. That's the direction I'm heading. I didn't think I'd have to worry about it until map 2 or better. I thought I'd read this wasn't as much an issue with the F30s, but oh well. I limped it to the stealer today and they gave a loaner. Funny thing is this 320i feels just like my car did with 0 boost! So I'll be putting around for a few days.
Its not as much an issue on the F-series N55 as it is on the E-series N55 (which are just charge pipe poppers) but its becoming more and more of an issue.

Ya the 320i is pretty gutless in comparison

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

I ran the stock one on a 2013 X1 35i with the Dinan stage 2 tune for about 2.5 years before it finally gave and split. This time around I've decided I don't want to be somewhere and have it split on me again because it's a weak link in the chain and I will be running the car with the MPPK (after it's broken in) and something on top of that as well added on later. So went ahead and ordered the ER charge pipe this morning.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
Ben e92 / f30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi / f30 335i m sport

Garage List
2008 e92 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jera_Jakerz View Post
Unless you have xdrive and install the clamp in the most logical reason and the steering rod ends up rubbing the bolt on the clamp...dealer was not happy about working on car for 3 days to find our it was an aftermarket mod that caused my steering problems.
So can you use this Charge Pipe with an X Drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #29
Jera_Jakerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben e92 328xi View Post
So can you use this Charge Pipe with an X Drive?
Yes you have to order the custom xdrive version (different size and angles) and make sure your bolt on the clamp is on TOP and not pointing down towards the steering rod...it might look like there is 2 inches of gap available, but when the car engine is on, it moves and when you turn, the g's move it MORE and rubbidy rub.
JB4 Stage 2 | aFe Magnum FORCE Intake System DRY | ER Chargepipe | ER CATLESS Downpipe | ATM Intercooler | BMS 2.3 Gal Meth Inj kit | Bilstein B14 | OEM Slotted/Dimpeled front rotors | Cool Carbon brakes | Go Fast Bit DV+ | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure inlet
Appreciate 1
GTBrandon259.00
      10-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #30
Ben e92 / f30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi / f30 335i m sport

Garage List
2008 e92 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jera_Jakerz View Post
Yes you have to order the custom xdrive version (different size and angles) and make sure your bolt on the clamp is on TOP and not pointing down towards the steering rod...it might look like there is 2 inches of gap available, but when the car engine is on, it moves and when you turn, the g's move it MORE and rubbidy rub.
Thank you for the clarification. My wife just picked up a 2013 335i M Sport and its time to mod! I definitely don't want to worry about the stock one breaking. As you can see I have an e92 328, before anyone says anything, I know my wife's car will dominate mine... Ha!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #31
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Here we go again....

Went to pass a truck on a narrow road (truck was doing 10 mph below the speed limit), and as I accelerated past I got a CEL and low power warning and the car started running very rough. Fortunately I made it to my work (which was just a couple miles down the road) so I can be productive while waiting for the tow.

This makes the third time in a car that is less than 2 years old. No mods. I do not see an obvious failure right now, but after three times I know what this looks and feels like.

I will be talking to the service manager about this. I am very uncomfortable driving a car that I feel anytime I accelerate can suddenly lose power. I will see if they can install an aftermarket charge pipe, and if they can only install stock, then I will have to look at my other options.

Extremely disappointed in BMW's reliability the last couple years. Had my engine on my M6 almost blow out (turned out the fuel injectors failed and flooded the engine with fuel). My wife's X5 engine completely blew (literally, something exploded, maybe a thrown rod), and was totaled with less than 30k miles (and unfortunately out of warranty so that was a $25k loss). And now a 335i that I cannot even accelerate in.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #32
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
I will see if they can install an aftermarket charge pipe, and if they can only install stock, then I will have to look at my other options.
That sucks, sorry to hear. My dealership installed an aftermarket charge pipe on my car, but dealerships do vary on how they feel about that stuff.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #33
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
That sucks, sorry to hear. My dealership installed an aftermarket charge pipe on my car, but dealerships do vary on how they feel about that stuff.
Well the good news (I guess) is that this time it is a different issue. Dealer said one of the fuel injectors jammed in the open position. They are replacing all the fuel injectors and the spark plugs, so I should have it back on Monday.

Still disappointed because it seems that the few times I accelerate quicker than normal, something breaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #34
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
I blew my stock charge pipe using Dinan stage 1 several months back. Dealer refused to warranty the part insisting that it simply never happens. I got the master tech from another dealer in my city to call them and tell them that charge pipes blow all the time especially on boosted cars. Dealer didn't care and wouldn't warranty the part. Stock part is $450 and dealer charged $500 labor to replace it. ER pipe is less than 300 and you can install it yourself given time and patience. There's no way you'll break the ER pipe and it's cheaper there's no reason not to do that if you're adding power.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #35
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I blew my stock charge pipe using Dinan stage 1 several months back. Dealer refused to warranty the part insisting that it simply never happens. I got the master tech from another dealer in my city to call them and tell them that charge pipes blow all the time especially on boosted cars. Dealer didn't care and wouldn't warranty the part. Stock part is $450 and dealer charged $500 labor to replace it. ER pipe is less than 300 and you can install it yourself given time and patience. There's no way you'll break the ER pipe and it's cheaper there's no reason not to do that if you're adding power.
Did Dinan cover the cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #36
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
Which is why it's easier to just do it yourself, and much cheaper.
Dealer won't deny warranty on the CP out right, but just make sure the O-Rings and TB are all nicely snug.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #37
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Well the good news (I guess) is that this time it is a different issue. Dealer said one of the fuel injectors jammed in the open position. They are replacing all the fuel injectors and the spark plugs, so I should have it back on Monday.

Still disappointed because it seems that the few times I accelerate quicker than normal, something breaks.
Drive the hell out of it when you get it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #38
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777
Quote:
No, the dealer which was a BMW/Dinan dealer flat out denied it insisting that the only way a charge pipe could blow was if I had tampered with it. Which clearly I hadn't, but they refused to even try to warranty the part on ridiculous grounds that such breakage never occurs and cannot occur with tampering.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #39
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

LOL that Dinan warranty. You should call dinan corporate head office and open a thread on it. You'll get your money back would be very bad publicity because the reason they charge so much is for warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #40
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster
LOL that Dinan warranty. You should call dinan corporate head office and open a thread on it. You'll get your money back would be very bad publicity because the reason they charge so much is for warranty.
Every day I get closer and closer to doing just that. I really can't express my disappointment with them and their false advertising. For over a year they advertised their Bluetooth app like it was already available then I got my Dinantronics stage 1 and asked about it and they're like yeah that's in development still no idea when it'll be ready. Then they finally released it on Android only in the last 2 weeks. I bought a new phone just to control my Dinantronics and the app is like useless. Put it in bypass mode for 10 miles and got a drivetrain malfunction and limp mode. Also 0 security on the app. I would have at least expected a 4 digit PIN like standard Bluetooth but no, anyone with the free app can modify my maps within 40' of my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #41
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Isn't that the whole reason some go with Dinan? I'd be pissed. Isnt that why Dinan charges a high premium?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #42
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Isn't that the whole reason some go with Dinan? I'd be pissed. Isnt that why Dinan charges a high premium?
Yes I am very very pissed. I never would have gone the Dinan route if they wouldn't cover stuff like this. I'm starting to think it was just the dealer I went to and I'm gonna take up the issue again with the manager.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #43
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster
Every day I get closer and closer to doing just that. I really can't express my disappointment with them and their false advertising. For over a year they advertised their Bluetooth app like it was already available then I got my Dinantronics stage 1 and asked about it and they're like yeah that's in development still no idea when it'll be ready. Then they finally released it on Android only in the last 2 weeks. I bought a new phone just to control my Dinantronics and the app is like useless. Put it in bypass mode for 10 miles and got a drivetrain malfunction and limp mode. Also 0 security on the app. I would have at least expected a 4 digit PIN like standard Bluetooth but no, anyone with the free app can modify my maps within 40' of my car.
Funny I got banned from the N20/26 section for trying to tell people that their warranty was bullshit when their product came out...
      10-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #44
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Quote:
No, the dealer which was a BMW/Dinan dealer flat out denied it insisting that the only way a charge pipe could blow was if I had tampered with it. Which clearly I hadn't, but they refused to even try to warranty the part on ridiculous grounds that such breakage never occurs and cannot occur with tampering.
Ummm, Dinan....you out there? This would be a great time to chime in. I'm a Dinan fanboy, and quite frankly am surprised that the Dinan dealer denied a charge pipe issue??
Appreciate 0