F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ronanz's ENZO Flash Tune **UPDATE 11/4/16 ... NO LONGER ENZO TUNED
ARMA SPEED

11-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #67
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
That is beautiful, I love the way you think my friend. That will be some baseline. I can tell you for the money everyone will flock to the PT S2 Enzo flash. It will outrun, out perform and flat out embarrass a Dinan tune.

One would have to really be hard pressed to opt for MPPK or Dinan.
To be fair, Dinan does put out a quality piggyback. Their S2 runs seamlessly with ZERO issues. It was just a little too mild for me.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #68
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
That is beautiful, I love the way you think my friend. That will be some baseline. I can tell you for the money everyone will flock to the PT S2 Enzo flash. It will outrun, out perform and flat out embarrass a Dinan tune.

One would have to really be hard pressed to opt for MPPK or Dinan.
To be fair, Dinan does put out a quality piggyback. Their S2 runs seamlessly with ZERO issues. It was just a little too mild for me.

Unfortunately my experience with my S2 has not been similar. After getting it installed I had to bring the car in for 6 days before they found out what was wrong with my Dinan post S2 upgrade causing constant malfunctions on my car. And yes it's way too mild especially for the price. If you're looking for value don't look at Dinan.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #69
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Unfortunately my experience with my S2 has not been similar. After getting it installed I had to bring the car in for 6 days before they found out what was wrong with my Dinan post S2 upgrade causing constant malfunctions on my car. And yes it's way too mild especially for the price. If you're looking for value don't look at Dinan.
Man, that's a bummer!! What happened?

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #70
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Not complaining about the quality its just always finishing last IMO. And also to be fair many Dinan users are reporting drive train malfunctions on a daily basis...I would still pick JB4 over it, it never gave me issues, just didnt like the inconsistent power.
      11-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #71
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Plus this ^

And you drove my car. And compared to dinan S2 when it was at full boost for you (functioning properly) it still was not close to what the ECU Enzo flash is.
      11-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #72
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

ronanz, I'll admit, I'm more than a little bit jealous.

That's gonna be one expensive 435i, not to mention F A S T!!!

Did you ever, even for a second consider an M4?

Will you let your insurance company know of the added replacement cost of your car? Or just say, "F IT"!!?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #73
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
ronanz, I'll admit, I'm more than a little bit jealous.

That's gonna be one expensive 435i, not to mention F A S T!!!

Did you ever, even for a second consider an M4?

Will you let your insurance company know of the added replacement cost of your car? Or just say, "F IT"!!?
I did look at M4's 5-6mos back and almost pulled the trigger on one (F82's were'nt really available when I purchased the 435, then when they were...they were MSRP+). Figured I'd much rather go the 435i sleeper route, she would be one of one...

I did the same thing with my 2011 C6 Z06 Hennessey HPE750

Will let insurance know, this is also why I'm putting car out there...I want it to be documented...just in case.

Edit: Customizing, modding and or tuning cars make absolute ZERO financial sense (unless they're super exotics), you have to do it 'cause you enjoy it and it makes you happy. If you're going to jump in, do it with both feet or don't bother.

Last edited by ronanz; 11-14-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 4
      11-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #74
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

Quote:
Edit: Customizing, modding and or tuning cars make absolute ZERO financial sense (unless they're super exotics), you have to do it 'cause you enjoy it and it makes you happy. If you're going to jump in, do it with both feet or don't bother.
I've been modding (and tracking) my S2000 for 11 years now. I wouldn't sell it to step into an M4 so we did ED on a 435 instead.

Can't wait to see your final product / numbers.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #75
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
I've been modding (and tracking) my S2000 for 11 years now. I wouldn't sell it to step into an M4 so we did ED on a 435 instead.

Can't wait to see your final product / numbers.
Wow! That's impressive...bet it tracks like it's on rails! More details please!

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #76
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

Quote:
Wow! That's impressive...bet it tracks like it's on rails! More details please!
Bah, I'm just a hack.

No more thread-jacking.

Untitled by jkush111, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #77
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I find Dinan S2 expensive (3200$ here in CAD, Warranty blah blah I know) so I bought the intake instead. (900 with tax and installation)

I may drive down to where Enzo is located and have them do the ECU tune on the spot as I only live 6 hours away. I'll have to pay cash though as CAD to USD currency.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #78
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

The Enzo tune sounds amazing and I have to admit I may have gone this route (instead of Dinan S2 w/MPPK) if it had been out when I had the tunes done.

One question though....since it's a flash tune....aren't any of you nervous your dealer might erase the flash (whether unintentional or not)? I know guys say it's hard to erase the MPPK, but I hear horror stories quite often about dealers erasing that tune. I can't imagine the nightmare of losing the Enzo tune just because my dealer decided to do a software update or something....would you have to send it back to Enzo every time his happened??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #79
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:
Man, that's a bummer!! What happened?

Some unknown hardware on the Dinan board failed after the update. Needed to get a replacement harness and module ordered from Dinan then the issues went away. But it took like 6 days total in the shop. It was improved without malfunctions but just way too mild for me still.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #80
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Edit: Customizing, modding and or tuning cars make absolute ZERO financial sense (unless they're super exotics), you have to do it 'cause you enjoy it and it makes you happy. If you're going to jump in, do it with both feet or don't bother..
Amen. It's not about resale value, it's about happiness in ownership of the vehicle. Fit it to what you want in the car and go for it.

Quote:
Some unknown hardware on the Dinan board failed after the update. Needed to get a replacement harness and module ordered from Dinan then the issues went away. But it took like 6 days total in the shop. It was improved without malfunctions but just way too mild for me still.
Sounds like someone screwed up the flash/update.

There's simply no way an "off the shelf" or piggy back is going to provide the quality of a custom dyno tuned car by someone who knows what they're doing. It is the best way to go, especially if you're looking for more power than what's in the S2 level. From what I've seen it sounds like Enzo is the better way to go for you. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #81
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:

Amen to this! Thats why I get so irritated by people who say "For all the money you spent on mods why didnt you just get an XXX". The reality is even no matter what car I got I would have modded it. That is the thrill and fun, not simply going on a lot a buying some loaded car. Anyone can do that. Only the strong of heart (and wallet) dare to mod!

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #82
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
The Enzo tune sounds amazing and I have to admit I may have gone this route (instead of Dinan S2 w/MPPK) if it had been out when I had the tunes done.

One question though....since it's a flash tune....aren't any of you nervous your dealer might erase the flash (whether unintentional or not)? I know guys say it's hard to erase the MPPK, but I hear horror stories quite often about dealers erasing that tune. I can't imagine the nightmare of losing the Enzo tune just because my dealer decided to do a software update or something....would you have to send it back to Enzo every time his happened??
Sure I'm a little nervous. Fortunely I have a great relationship with my SA, they know where my car is and what I'm doing. I'll still remind them to NOT run ANY updates associated to ECU. If it's essential, or they "forget" I'll have them remove ECU to ship back to ENZO.

Each ECU has its own ENZO serial number so if Tune gets erased, needs a performance update or I want to add a new feature, ENZO can look up my ECU and reflash back to where it was or add to what I have!

Last edited by ronanz; 11-15-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #83
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure I'm a little nervous. Fortunely I have a great relationship with my SA, they know where my car is and what I'm doing. I'll still remind them to NOT run ANY updates associated to ECU. If it's essential, or they "forget" I'll have them remove ECU to ship back to ENZO.

We used to keep a spare ECU (tuned, not tuned) back in my Cadillac days. Any idea what a spare ECU would cost for the F30 N55 ?

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #84
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Each ECU has its own ENZO serial number so if Tune gets erased, needs a performance update or I want to add a new feature, ENZO can look up my ECU and reflash back to where it was or add to what I have!

Exactly this^ Enzo will re flash it if a dealer overwrites it. And yes tell them to NEVER UPDATE your DME. Its your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
We used to keep a spare ECU (tuned, not tuned) back in my Cadillac days. Any idea what a spare ECU would cost for the F30 N55 ?
Yes but this ECU costs $1400 stock not to mention its a bitch to take out. I wish we could do this in the N55. The N20 guys have it made its right under the engine cover.
      11-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #85
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
I find Dinan S2 expensive (3200$ here in CAD, Warranty blah blah I know) so I bought the intake instead. (900 with tax and installation)

I may drive down to where Enzo is located and have them do the ECU tune on the spot as I only live 6 hours away. I'll have to pay cash though as CAD to USD currency.
Can I ask, why did you opt for a Dinan intake? It's more than twice the price of several other stage 2 intakes and a more restrictive intake(sealed box, smaller filter) only benefit I see is that it's lighter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #86
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Can I ask, why did you opt for a Dinan intake? It's more than twice the price of several other stage 2 intakes and a more restrictive intake(sealed box, smaller filter) only benefit I see is that it's lighter.
It actually gives power gains without a tune compared to other intakes.

Had the car dyno'd and had about on average 8hp to the crank and 10 tq (very minimal but meh) I gained a total of 12 with my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #87
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

Had the car dyno'd and had about on average 8hp to the crank and 10 tq (very minimal but meh) I gained a total of 12 with my exhaust.
..and as we have seen BMW say when referencing the MPPK for the 340i the N55 needs to breath in better to improve efficiency vs breath out. Where the B58 needs a different exhaust to solve back pressure more than its intake.

Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #88
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

..and as we have seen BMW say when referencing the MPPK for the 340i the N55 needs to breath in better to improve efficiency vs breath out. Where the B58 needs a different exhaust to solve back pressure more than its intake.
My question was why go with Dinan over another much more moderately priced intake with a larger filter and open box, hence less intake restrictions than the Dinan. My AFe stage 2 intake has a larger filter and is an open box and cost less than half what the Dinan costs.
Appreciate 1