F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ronanz's ENZO Flash Tune **UPDATE 11/4/16 ... NO LONGER ENZO TUNED
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #89
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
My question was why go with Dinan over another much more moderately priced intake with a larger filter and open box, hence less intake restrictions than the Dinan. My AFe stage 2 intake has a larger filter and is an open box and cost less than half what the Dinan costs.
Warranty is a big one. Remember that bmw can hold aftermarket intakes against you if your engine decides to shit itself (lol like intakes can break engines)

All dealers I have spoken with specifically told me any aftermarket intakes will void my warranty, and they will charge me if I get a CEL. I'm not taking a chance since I have a 6 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #90
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
My question was why go with Dinan over another much more moderately priced intake with a larger filter and open box, hence less intake restrictions than the Dinan. My AFe stage 2 intake has a larger filter and is an open box and cost less than half what the Dinan costs.
Warranty is a big one. Remember that bmw can hold aftermarket intakes against you if your engine decides to shit itself (lol like intakes can break engines)

All dealers I have spoken with specifically told me any aftermarket intakes will void my warranty, and they will charge me if I get a CEL. I'm not taking a chance since I have a 6 year warranty.
The dealers you've spoken to don't seem to be that reasonable, also most intakes are 5min or less install and removal since it's just one clamp bolt and then it's held in place with rubber grommets. But coming from someone who chose Dinan for the warranty and then wasn't covered I'll tell you. I'll never pay for a "warranty" again.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #91
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The dealers you've spoken to don't seem to be that reasonable, also most intakes are 5min or less install and removal since it's just one clamp bolt and then it's held in place with rubber grommets. But coming from someone who chose Dinan for the warranty and then wasn't covered I'll tell you. I'll never pay for a "warranty" again.
It's a little different in quebec here as it's regulated between dealerships, so if one place is dinan approved, I'll bring it there and its no problem. But if I bring it to another dealership, they'll have to get paperwork from the dinan to approve the warranty work. compared to the us, canada isn't too bad on dealerships here fortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #92
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:

An open box that's open to the engine bay is going to pull in hotter air than a closed box that's drawing from the front, isn't it ?

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #93
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
An open box that's open to the engine bay is going to pull in hotter air than a closed box that's drawing from the front, isn't it ?
From what I was told by the dinan tech, he told me they removed the snow valve and replaced it by a high flow one, and that the closed box is pulling cooler air from the front, not to mention its away from the engine bay. The open box does have a heat shield but idk how well it works.

Which is probably why I got some actual gains, as minimal as it was.

To be honest, I also just like how it looks in the engine bay as well haha
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #94
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
From what I was told by the dinan tech, he told me they removed the snow valve and replaced it by a high flow one, and that the closed box is pulling cooler air from the front, not to mention its away from the engine bay. The open box does have a heat shield but idk how well it works.

Which is probably why I got some actual gains, as minimal as it was.

To be honest, I also just like how it looks in the engine bay as well haha
According to BMS yes an open box pulls hotter air than a sealed box, but it also pulls a lot more of it. End result is more air density which is what you need to increase power.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #95
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's a little different in quebec here as it's regulated between dealerships, so if one place is dinan approved, I'll bring it there and its no problem. But if I bring it to another dealership, they'll have to get paperwork from the dinan to approve the warranty work. compared to the us, canada isn't too bad on dealerships here fortunately.
Dinan approved means nothing. They don't keep a close eye on their dealers and the dealers don't automatically contact Dinan for warranty or anything. I learned this first hand when my local Dinan dealer made a decision to simply deny my warranty claim and refused to submit it to either Dinan or BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #96
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dinan approved means nothing. They don't keep a close eye on their dealers and the dealers don't automatically contact Dinan for warranty or anything. I learned this first hand when my local Dinan dealer made a decision to simply deny my warranty claim and refused to submit it to either Dinan or BMW.
Again, things are different between the states and Canada, there has been no problems with dealerships here as it's regulated between them.

My friend's chargepipe blew when he installed his Dinan S2, and they switched it without a peep. But he opted not to install the OEM one and had them install the ER one instead, and they did not charge him labour to do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #97
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Again, things are different between the states and Canada, there has been no problems with dealerships here as it's regulated between them.

My friend's chargepipe blew when he installed his Dinan S2, and they switched it without a peep. But he opted not to install the OEM one and had them install the ER one instead, and they did not charge him labour to do so.
Interesting. Though I'm confused that dealers in your area have a problem with push in intakes but will gladly install aftermarket charge pipes deep within the car. Doesn't quite follow.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #98
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Though I'm confused that dealers in your area have a problem with push in intakes but will gladly install aftermarket charge pipes deep within the car. Doesn't quite follow.
If they install it themselves, it's no problem as they're the ones doing the labour and they're able to record the work and what was used on the vehicle, however if you do it yourself, it's a different story. Also the dealer has to be dinan approved to be able to install aftermarket.

Remember, we pay a stupid amount of tax in quebec, so if let's say the car is 60k brand new in the states, we pay close to 80k due to taxes.

Last edited by lens; 11-17-2015 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #99
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well first the disclaimer - dealerships vary in how they treat mods - done

Since we pretty much acknowledge the OEM charge pipe isn't up to taking extra boost, and even fails on some stock cars, to install an aftermarket one that won't split is actually improving the car without changing any operational parameters. A dealership should be in favor of this. (and BMW)

Depending upon the intake and it's filter you could be inducing an operational change to the car. Some of the oil based filters are known to be an issue for the MAF sensor in getting them dirty. Cases in which CEL would light then the dealership blame it on the intake and refuse to cover solving it under warranty and then the wallet comes out. Now if they install it, then that dealership would be responsible. But a different one could deny anything to do with it. Even someone who isn't really wrench turner can install most of these intakes. Probably one of the most common mods installed by the owners.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #100
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If they install it themselves, it's no problem as they're the ones doing the labour and they're able to record the work and what was used on the vehicle, however if you do it yourself, it's a different story. Also the dealer has to be dinan approved to be able to install aftermarket.

Remember, we pay a stupid amount of tax in quebec, so if let's say the car is 60k brand new in the states, we pay close to 80k due to taxes.
I'm sorry this logic is still not following for me. Why would a dealer need to be Dinan approved to install an ER charge pipe there is no relation between those companies.
Also the ER charge pipe if installed incorrectly can cause major issues with your car since it takes up very different space in your very tight engine. The clamp bolts are located close to the steering column, if installed slightly improperly then you can get rubbing which can reduce your ability to steer and eventually rip a hole in your pipe letting God knows what into your engine.
I know my dealer was by no means skilled or even knowledgable about how to install or remove the factory charge pipe. In fact they basically destroyed my original pipe trying to remove it. It's not that easy to remove or install but I was able to do it without damaging the pipe but my dealer wrecked it. Charge pipes aren't something most dealers ever touch, the BMW workshop guide on replacing it is less helpful than ER's basic instructions.

I was also under the impression that the Dinan intake used an oiled filter like many other aftermarket intakes. I've got like 10k miles on my oiled AFe stage 2 CAI and never have gotten a CEL from the intake. I've checked the MAF sensor and it's just as clean as when I swapped it off my stock intake. And I find it absolutely absurd your dealers would charge you for a CEL. Making you pay to fix a malfunction caused by aftermarket parts makes perfect sense I have no issue with that, but charging you because something happened is outrageous. Confirming proper installation of a CAI takes literally no more than 60s under the hood. Confirming proper installation of a charge pipe takes closer to 3 hours if you know what you're doing. Mind you my dealer billed me for 4.5 hours for this same job.

Sorry for my tone, I'm not trying to be rude I'm just not following the logic Canadian dealers appear to use.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #101
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry this logic is still not following for me. Why would a dealer need to be Dinan approved to install an ER charge pipe there is no relation between those companies.
Also the ER charge pipe if installed incorrectly can cause major issues with your car since it takes up very different space in your very tight engine. The clamp bolts are located close to the steering column, if installed slightly improperly then you can get rubbing which can reduce your ability to steer and eventually rip a hole in your pipe letting God knows what into your engine.
I know my dealer was by no means skilled or even knowledgable about how to install or remove the factory charge pipe. In fact they basically destroyed my original pipe trying to remove it. It's not that easy to remove or install but I was able to do it without damaging the pipe but my dealer wrecked it. Charge pipes aren't something most dealers ever touch, the BMW workshop guide on replacing it is less helpful than ER's basic instructions.

I was also under the impression that the Dinan intake used an oiled filter like many other aftermarket intakes. I've got like 10k miles on my oiled AFe stage 2 CAI and never have gotten a CEL from the intake. I've checked the MAF sensor and it's just as clean as when I swapped it off my stock intake. And I find it absolutely absurd your dealers would charge you for a CEL. Making you pay to fix a malfunction caused by aftermarket parts makes perfect sense I have no issue with that, but charging you because something happened is outrageous. Confirming proper installation of a CAI takes literally no more than 60s under the hood. Confirming proper installation of a charge pipe takes closer to 3 hours if you know what you're doing. Mind you my dealer billed me for 4.5 hours for this same job.

Sorry for my tone, I'm not trying to be rude I'm just not following the logic Canadian dealers appear to use.

It's no problem, I know your situation, I've heard horror stories about some dealerships in the states, there's only one place I would get my car serviced, and it's where my friend works in michigan.

Since I'm on my computer and not my phone, I could further explain this to you.

When I went in to get my intake installed+exhaust alignment fixed (tips were touching bumper) I asked the Dinan tech about aftermarket parts and if I came back with chargepipes or intercooler etc... if they were able to install it for me because at higher boost the chargepipe tends to go poof.

He told me it's not a problem, as long as the parts they're installing aren't cheap (as in made in china quality #lolnotstereotyping) as it's his ass if he installs it, and it breaks and shit falls into the engine due to FOD (foreign object debris) due to that.

However, if they approve what they're installing (ER chargepipes, intercooler, some DPs) then it'll be covered under the warranty under the table. (as in they'll state OEM chargepipe failed and blah blah instead of the ER chargepipe, and we know ER chargepipe doesn't fail unless you install it wrong.) HOWEVER, let's say the ER chargepipe breaks (Lolright) then they'll replace it with the OEM one, until you order and pay for yourself a new ER chargepipe, then they'll install it for you again. My friend has a great relationship with this dealer, and recommended me to them.

As for my exhaust, they cleared as much space as possible, and replaced a V-clamp (one between the DP and Cat?) as my old one was rusted. They really liked my Borla ATAK and stated someone else had an S-type on a 335i that came in a month ago, and they installed it for him.

But again, as CIWS says, it varies from dealership to dealership, If the ER chargepipe fails and let's say I'm in toronto, then I'll have to pay out of my pocket to get it fixed as it's not an OEM part and it's not a Dinan approved dealership (Though If I remember correctly, there is one dealership in Ontario). (Dinan dealerships are more relaxed on warranty stuff as they know things tend to break with tunes, at least in Canada.)

P.S:

Can you take me for a ride in your S63 pls?

Last edited by lens; 11-17-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #102
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's no problem, I know your situation, I've heard horror stories about some dealerships in the states, there's only one place I would get my car serviced, and it's where my friend works in michigan.

Since I'm on my computer and not my phone, I could further explain this to you.

When I went in to get my intake installed+exhaust alignment fixed (tips were touching bumper) I asked the Dinan tech about aftermarket parts and if I came back with chargepipes or intercooler etc... if they were able to install it for me because at higher boost the chargepipe tends to go poof.

He told me it's not a problem, as long as the parts they're installing aren't cheap (as in made in china quality #lolnotstereotyping) as it's his ass if he installs it, and it breaks and shit falls into the engine due to FOD (foreign object debris) due to that.

However, if they approve what they're installing (ER chargepipes, intercooler, some DPs) then it'll be covered under the warranty under the table. (as in they'll state OEM chargepipe failed and blah blah instead of the ER chargepipe, and we know ER chargepipe doesn't fail unless you install it wrong.) HOWEVER, let's say the ER chargepipe breaks (Lolright) then they'll replace it with the OEM one, until you order and pay for yourself a new ER chargepipe, then they'll install it for you again. My friend has a great relationship with this dealer, and recommended me to them.

As for my exhaust, they cleared as much space as possible, and replaced a V-clamp (one between the DP and Cat?) as my old one was rusted. They really liked my Borla ATAK and stated someone else had an S-type on a 335i that came in a month ago, and they installed it for him.

But again, as CIWS says, it varies from dealership to dealership, If the ER chargepipe fails and let's say I'm in toronto, then I'll have to pay out of my pocket to get it fixed as it's not an OEM part and it's not a Dinan approved dealership (Though If I remember correctly, there is one dealership in Ontario). (Dinan dealerships are more relaxed on warranty stuff as they know things tend to break with tunes, at least in Canada.)

P.S:

Can you take me for a ride in your S63 pls?
Wow I wish I had dealers like yours near me. Thanks for the explanation.

If you ever make it down to Chicago I'd be happy to take you around in the S63. Love that car, so much power and it's so luxurious, active cruise with steering on that car is awesome I broke in the engine a full 1,000 miles in a week. Full massage front seats, pillows for headrests, amazing soundproofing, and the best audio setup I've ever experienced. Sounds better than my $600 headphones.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #103
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Man I would hate to have to deal with any of yalls dealerships. It would be a nightmare for my car. My dealer actually loves my car and shows it to people when its in for service lol. Ive never had any issues with warranty work (which includes a new ECU) and I informed them that I was the one who installed all the parts myself.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #104
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

If you ever make it down to Chicago I'd be happy to take you around in the S63. Love that car, so much power and it's so luxurious, active cruise with steering on that car is awesome I broke in the engine a full 1,000 miles in a week. Full massage front seats, pillows for headrests, amazing soundproofing, and the best audio setup I've ever experienced. Sounds better than my $600 headphones.
It's my dream car, I would absolutely love to get the S63 Coupe, I'd probably break in the engine in a day or two haha.

And yeah, hopefully you find yourself a dealership that is relaxed like mine here, makes everything much easier

Last edited by lens; 11-17-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #105
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

S63 Coupe may be my next venture. I've read about people getting CRAZY amounts of power tuned!!

Edit: Car arrives ENZO tomorrow early afternoon!!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #106
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:

S63 Coupe may be my next venture. I've read about people getting CRAZY amounts of power tuned!!

Edit: Car arrives ENZO tomorrow early afternoon!!

I've got a sedan. It's an AWD beast with 664ftlbs of torque stock. Only upgrade on it is drop in K&N filters.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #107
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got a sedan. It's an AWD beast with 664ftlbs of torque stock. Only upgrade on it is drop in K&N filters.
No wonder you weren't satisfied with stage 2

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #108
franko9217
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Blk 335i/6MT/JB4/DP/CP

FYI: My GSR tune + downpipe led to do a short run with an M3 on the freeway. I easily was quicker. I was in 4th gear (m6) from 3k to red line. Had to let up otherwise i would of ran into his bumper

His car still looked better though and was surprised how loud the exhaust was for a completely stock car. It was the newest model.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #109
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko9217 View Post
FYI: My GSR tune + downpipe led to do a short run with an M3 on the freeway. I easily was quicker. I was in 4th gear (m6) from 3k to red line. Had to let up otherwise i would of ran into his bumper

His car still looked better though and was surprised how loud the exhaust was for a completely stock car. It was the newest model.
Where do you get a GSR tune and do they even have a website where you can buy things? They seem to be super bad at marketing their product(s).
      11-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #110
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Where do you get a GSR tune and do they even have a website where you can buy things? They seem to be super bad at marketing their product(s).
GSR is in SoCal (Anaheim). I'll be stopping by for my tune eventually.

http://www.gsrautosport.com/

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 1